Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:08 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
You wint regreat it
+1. It's a hoot. I own and have owned a lot of planes that are a rush to fly but nice to go back to the basics once in awhile.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Maiden flight for my new Apprentice today!
Great plane, I really appreciated it :-)
I went through the whole discussion before and I've already implemented all the basic mod to the plane (bigger wheels, velcro strap to fix wings together, etc.).
Thanks to the whole forum!

Nicola (from Italy)
piumach is offline Find More Posts by piumach
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,027 Posts
How is that suppose to work the velcro on the wings?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
How is that suppose to work the velcro on the wings?
Since I have a very small car and I live in a city centre, I could not accept to glue the two wings together.
So, I glued several stripes of velcro (medium CA) on top and bottom side of the wings, close to the center line.
Then I use other velcro stripes to keep the two wings attached.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,027 Posts
that sounds good.. any pics?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Winter storm warning in effect for my area. Might get a chance to try these floats out on the snow soon. Cant wait.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
that sounds good.. any pics?
Of course, just give me a day or two and I will post the pics :-)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Tried my plane out on the floats today. Flew like a dream but I could tell the extra drag was slowing it down a bit but not to bad. So tonight I dropped in my 1250kv ntm motor and 55amp esc so that little lack of power I had will be over corrected. . Going to be putting a balsa horizontal and vertical stab on it soon as I have them covered. Couple carbon rods through the fuse and she'll be strong as an ox.
Last edited by gewiens; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Changed up the colors today. Put some purple and Grey on it.
Last edited by gewiens; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I think I'm gonna trim those droops off the leading edge also. I don't need the trainer feel. By the time I'm done it'll probably have a lot of original stuff modded or removed. Anyone else ever removed those?
I made a new wing without dihedral, bigger ailerons, flaps...the only thing I like about the rubber band attached wing is its so easy to switch out. The roll rate is way up and inverted flight is much nicer but thats about it. Ill probably just build a body for the wing thats a little more condusive to aerobatics rather than hack away at her tail.

Name: APP_newwing2.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 83.3 KB
Description: Name: APP_newwing.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 93.4 KB
Description:
Brush Hog is offline Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Changed up the colors today. Put some purple and Grey it.
bro... it looks swee!!!! where do you got those WAY BETTER LOOKING fuselage decals?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
bro... it looks swee!!!! where do you got those WAY BETTER LOOKING fuselage decals?
Thanks. That is part of a pz extra300 set and the rest were hand cut out of sticky back covering. It was not a quick job to do but it's one of a kind now. Did my wheel pants up to match also.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
328 Posts
Well...I managed to commit unauthorized contact with terra firma with my poor Apprentice. Replacement cowl purchased, I removed the broken original and find that the clear bulkhead to which the motor mount screws has come mostly detached from the front face of the fuselage. I pulled it the rest of the way clear of the foam and got the original "adhesive" (the flexy white stuff E-Flite used that is tub caulk) removed from the affected area.

Question...what adhesive should I use? I could use the good o'l epoxy like I assembled my wing halves with. Shoo-goo I'd be nervous about attacking the foam. I suppose I could use foam-safe CA, but I'd be skeptical about it's performance with any sort of vibration.

Should also note that I performed wing repair with "Welder" adhesive (which works GREAT on the foam Multiplex uses) and it seems to have adversely affected the the E-flite "z-foam". I had put a strip of tape over the repair to hole everything in line, so the cellophane probably held the vapors in while it set up, but it attacked the foam all the way under the tape, about an inch in on both sides was softened. Uncovered it has firmed back up, but not all the way to original strength. I went ahead and bought another wing, but I'll break another piece off the original and try to use the Welder on it without covering it and see if it attacks the foam that way.

Many thanks,

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,588 Posts
Cheap silicone sealant works great and is easy to remove from foam and plastic later. The only downside is the 24 Hr cure.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:26 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
328 Posts
Many thanks. 24 hours, that's fine...I'm a patient man. Have to wait that now anyway for the epoxy on the new wing to cure full-strength anyway.

Was thinking I'd like to fly this morning, guess it's off to the slope with the Minimoa glider!!

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE