HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:21 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHog View Post
Actually, elevator, throttle, rudder are all reversed on my Apprentice. The Aileron(s) are not reversed. Futaba T7C with R617FS receiver.

I use channels 1 and 6 for ailerons so I can adjust trims individually.
I have an identical settings on mine - but with an Orange 8 ch receiver :-)
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Interesting; that makes me wonder if it is just that T8FG Tx that has different reverse channel settings for the Apprentice, then. I doubt the receiver has anything do to with it...

Anyway, reversed channels or not, I love my Futaba!
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:10 AM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
So i adjusted the rod on my apprentice that was off. Now i am going to trim everything again which reminds me of something.

I remember the controls being quite sensitive during my first flight. I actually do not know how the throws are at the moment. Since it was an RTF i thought it would be preset correct already. But since i use my futaba radio that probably makes everything different.

How can i set the apprentice up for a beginner like me physically on the rods and digitally in my futaba radio? Like i mentioned before, it seems that the aileron servo arms were pressing into the foam on both sides which also indicated to me that throws are probably off.

The manual only speaks about a high and low configuration with measurements. Am i suppose to do this configurations physically or digitally in radio?

Thanks!

Marrone
Marrone is offline Find More Posts by Marrone
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:37 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
You probably want to get the adjustable to as close as possible with no D/R and or expo or sub-trim in the radio, and then after if you have to get more done with any of those to meet the manuals recommendations, then you would do that.

Basically for me I found the low rate to be pretty tame. If you need less sensitivity then that I would try adding a "little" expo.

But just remember the more you take away from anything over all, the less you have to recover.

So its always kind of a balancing act, but that's what a bit of expo is for, so that you can reduce center stick twitchyness, but still keep all your throws full.

But again, not to much expo is the key here as what you take away from the center will make the throws on the latter travel more twitchy.
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:55 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
So i adjusted the rod on my apprentice that was off. Now i am going to trim everything again which reminds me of something.

I remember the controls being quite sensitive during my first flight. I actually do not know how the throws are at the moment. Since it was an RTF i thought it would be preset correct already. But since i use my futaba radio that probably makes everything different.

How can i set the apprentice up for a beginner like me physically on the rods and digitally in my futaba radio? Like i mentioned before, it seems that the aileron servo arms were pressing into the foam on both sides which also indicated to me that throws are probably off.

The manual only speaks about a high and low configuration with measurements. Am i suppose to do this configurations physically or digitally in radio?

Thanks!

Marrone
I personally use full throws with no expo on all my planes (with some exeptions). Its only a matter of getting used to your controls... The reason for it is simple - I am flying with just a small stick movements, but when I need something extra (for example to fight off a wind gust) - I have it available (occasionally there is no time to switch between two rates) The reason I don't use expo - it doesn't help me to "feel" the stick response right in the middle...

So on your first flight the Apprentice may feel a bit overreacting, but after a few flights you may not think that way.

This is what my full rate looks like:

Apprentice Aileron Servo Travel (0 min 18 sec)

I do have a dual rate set up on my ParkZone Spitfire. I made it capable of 100 MPH, and at that speed its elevator becomes super sensitive - so I tame it down by using a lower rate. I switch it back to high rate for landing - it slows down to a crawl, then I need my full elevator.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Had one hell of a LUCKY crash this evening. Plane would not respond to any controls..

Look at how close it was to the houses, power lines and the road!! And I was flying in a field far from that neighborhood too!

Eflite Apprentice lucky crash! (1 min 3 sec)
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:28 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
Been flying the apprentice for 3 weeks now.

Heres my first video. Camera was mounted in bad spot. Will fix it next time.

Cloudy and hazy day, was hard to keep looking at the sky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQg_d...feature=relmfu

Landing from that flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-szwW...el_video_title
Nice go there FTA_FTW! Was your camera vibrating or something? I have mine strapped to the battery, works good :-)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
Had one hell of a LUCKY crash this evening. Plane would not respond to any controls..

Look at how close it was to the houses, power lines and the road!! And I was flying in a field far from that neighborhood too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g66pE...el_video_title
Wow! Lucky indeed! Is it AR500 by any chance?
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
No, it was the AR600 :s
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Quote:

...But since i use my futaba radio that probably makes everything different.

Thanks!

Marrone

High and low configurations are done digitally on the radio. As for the physical linkages, with my Futaba, I have the aileron controls horns at pretty much the middle hole on the servo arm (maybe one further out), and the 2nd from outermost hole on the control horn on the aileron. Rudder rod is in the outermost hole of the servo horn, with the steering rod in the next hole. Elevator is in the middle hole at the servo, and both rudder and elevator are in the 2nd from outermost hole at the control horn on the rudder or elevator. That gives me more or less maximum deflection for high rates.

As for the radio, what I did was set up my high rate first, so I would have maximum deflection of the control surface WITHOUT binding or servo strain. Then I just used 50% for low rates. As others have said, low rates are pretty tame. I used my Futaba T7C's Dual Rate / Expo settings for rate control.

I have the following:

Control-----High rate-----low rate
Ailerons-----100%--------50%
Elevator----100%---------50%
Rudder------90%---------50%

No Expo at all for any surface, high or low rates. I prefer a linear feel to my controls.

If you find that 100% for High Rates causes servos to buzz or sound like they're straining, or have the control arms pressing into the foam, just lower the High Rate until that no longer happens, and then take half of that setting for your Low Rates. Or adjust the physical linkages.

Not sure how your Futaba T8FG does high/low rates, but it should be something similar to my T7C. If you're used to Expo on other planes, then you'd probably be more comfortable using it. If not, I wouldn't mess with it. Apprentice doesn't need Expo. It's a very tame bird.
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:04 PM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
Hi guy i checked it again and you were right. I have everything reversed except the ailerons. So it is exactly the same as you guys. It is the same for futaba then.

Quote:
Actually, elevator, throttle, rudder are all reversed on my Apprentice. The Aileron(s) are not reversed. Futaba T7C with R617FS receiver.

I use channels 1 and 6 for ailerons so I can adjust trims individually. Tried flaperons with that setup, and it didn't help any. By the time I got enough "flaps down" to slow the Apprentice, I had no aileron control anymore.

Interesting that you don't have your rudder reversed. Would have thought all Futabas would been the same. Different radio, different programming, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
I have an identical settings on mine - but with an Orange 8 ch receiver :-)
Quote:
Interesting; that makes me wonder if it is just that T8FG Tx that has different reverse channel settings for the Apprentice, then. I doubt the receiver has anything do to with it...

Anyway, reversed channels or not, I love my Futaba!
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:08 PM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
Thanks visor!

Appreciate it. the short movie really helps and shows exactly how the throws are. I did not mess with the settings on the servo arms so i left those like set from supplier. I have put all rods on control horns at the farthest holes from the plane like mentioned in manual for beginners. I haven't set up anything in my transmitter though, since i am a newbie and did not know how to make the adjustments. Just reversed the servos in order to have controls correct. i will check my throws soon and measure if it is according to specs in manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
I personally use full throws with no expo on all my planes (with some exeptions). Its only a matter of getting used to your controls... The reason for it is simple - I am flying with just a small stick movements, but when I need something extra (for example to fight off a wind gust) - I have it available (occasionally there is no time to switch between two rates) The reason I don't use expo - it doesn't help me to "feel" the stick response right in the middle...

So on your first flight the Apprentice may feel a bit overreacting, but after a few flights you may not think that way.

This is what my full rate looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYfWvHEp8Ek

I do have a dual rate set up on my ParkZone Spitfire. I made it capable of 100 MPH, and at that speed its elevator becomes super sensitive - so I tame it down by using a lower rate. I switch it back to high rate for landing - it slows down to a crawl, then I need my full elevator.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:11 PM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
Thanks sandhog!

Like described in previous post, i have control horns on beginner position. as a newbie i do not want to get into dual rates. I prefer getting used to standard settings. did none of you guys fly with the standard setup. So just with adjustments on control horns and without adjustments in transmitter?

Quote:
High and low configurations are done digitally on the radio. As for the physical linkages, with my Futaba, I have the aileron controls horns at pretty much the middle hole on the servo arm (maybe one further out), and the 2nd from outermost hole on the control horn on the aileron. Rudder rod is in the outermost hole of the servo horn, with the steering rod in the next hole. Elevator is in the middle hole at the servo, and both rudder and elevator are in the 2nd from outermost hole at the control horn on the rudder or elevator. That gives me more or less maximum deflection for high rates.

As for the radio, what I did was set up my high rate first, so I would have maximum deflection of the control surface WITHOUT binding or servo strain. Then I just used 50% for low rates. As others have said, low rates are pretty tame. I used my Futaba T7C's Dual Rate / Expo settings for rate control.

I have the following:

Control-----High rate-----low rate
Ailerons-----100%--------50%
Elevator----100%---------50%
Rudder------90%---------50%

No Expo at all for any surface, high or low rates. I prefer a linear feel to my controls.

If you find that 100% for High Rates causes servos to buzz or sound like they're straining, or have the control arms pressing into the foam, just lower the High Rate until that no longer happens, and then take half of that setting for your Low Rates. Or adjust the physical linkages.

Not sure how your Futaba T8FG does high/low rates, but it should be something similar to my T7C. If you're used to Expo on other planes, then you'd probably be more comfortable using it. If not, I wouldn't mess with it. Apprentice doesn't need Expo. It's a very tame bird.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
Quote:
Thanks sandhog!

Like described in previous post, i have control horns on beginner position. as a newbie i do not want to get into dual rates. I prefer getting used to standard settings. did none of you guys fly with the standard setup. So just with adjustments on control horns and without adjustments in transmitter?
If you are truly a beginner, you could likely benefit from using dual rates. They are used to provide a regular rate at 100% or so and a lower rate (60-70%) of movement which makes it less likely to overcontrol when you are learning and makes the control less sensitive to small stick movements. Adding some expo makes things even easier yet when you are learning by slowing the reaction in the first bit of stick movement making things a lot smoother for most learners.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
When did they start needing epoxy in the wings? I was fairly disappointed when I have read the manual that is on-line more than a few times it never mentioned needing epoxy. All advertisements say everything is in the box. Cost me a great flying day driving around and waiting for it to cure. Oh well. It does fly nice.
paperman_ is offline Find More Posts by paperman_