HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 01:58 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,500 Posts
I have a few questions, I am considering buy an apprentice and would like to know if it will bind to my DX6i and also, what size battery does it come with? also, does it even come as a bnf?
Thanks,
John.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
It comes with a 3S 11.1v 3200mah (35.rwh) battery.
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M
Old May 31, 2011, 05:04 PM
St Louis, Mo
Joined Oct 2010
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I have a few questions, I am considering buy an apprentice and would like to know if it will bind to my DX6i and also, what size battery does it come with? also, does it even come as a bnf?
Thanks,
John.
I use the DX6I. No BNF but they offer a PNP.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
K.Jones is offline Find More Posts by K.Jones
Old May 31, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Thanks,
John.
The included AR500 receiver (though some who have purchased recently have reported getting an AR600 receiver with it) would bind to your DX6i, but if you already have a radio (transmitter and receiver), you'd be better off getting the Plug N Play (PNP) version that K. Jones mentioned. That way you're not paying for a superfluous DX5e radio and receiver. If you don't have a spare receiver, you could pick up an AR600 receiver for less than the difference in PNP ($229) versus the RTF ($299) versions on http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMAR600 Any other full range receivers are more expensive than the difference in cost between the PNP and RTF.

However, if you have a Local Hobby shop that is selling the Apprentice RTF for a reasonable price close to Horizon Hobby's, AND they'll let you open the box to check which receiver the RTF comes with, AND if it comes with the AR600, you might be just as well off getting the RTF and then selling the DX5e as a separate transmitter (or keeping it for Buddy-Box purposes).

Just don't take one with an AR500 receiver. There are too many posts on this forum where the guys have experienced brown-outs with their AR500 receivers leading to a crash of the aircraft.
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Last edited by SandHog; Jun 02, 2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: quoted wrong receiver i.e. AR6200 instead of AR600
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:34 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,500 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys.
Sandhog, I know what you mean about the AR500. I just bought a bnf parkzone stinson and it has the AR500. I,ve read on a few other sites about the brown outs of course after I already bought the bnf with the Ar500. So far, so good but I,m a little nervous to take it out while that rx is in it.
Hopefully HH will read all these posts, recognize a legitamate problem and just do a recall on all the AR500s sold, replacing them with either the 600 or 6200.
I know they have a rep for excellent costumer satisfaction! How cool would that be?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
To the guys that mounted a camera totheir apprentice,

Where is the "best" place to put it? I tried tonight above the wing facing the propller, but the video wasnt good due to the propoller spinning right in view.

I'd like to be able to see the horizon as im doing high altitude flying. Im using the #11 fob camera (720p).
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
what about moving down the wing and then adjust the trimmers for balance? Im guessing the cam is very light and wont make much of a difference.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Adding a counter weight to the other wing so the trim can remain neutral may be a better idea, depending on how much trim would be needed. Just a few clicks wouldn't hurt anything, but you don't want to mess up your aileron control. A counter weight on the other wing would keep the trims neutral and wouldn't affect the lifting capacity of the Apprentice.

Or perhaps mount the camera on top of the wing center (though it may act as an airbrake up there, but if all you want is aerial photography, then flying a bit slower wouldn't make any difference)

My two worth.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
Stick a couple of quarters on the other side
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:42 PM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
Maiden flight!

Hee guys!!

Have been reading this topic for a while and also bought the apprentice a while ago. Total newbie, just flight sim experience and 20 years gaming experience was determined to do my maiden flight today although there was quite some wind. So i went for it and it was just an unforgettable experience.

Great because the apprentice flies fantastic! Good response, looking good, fast, really loved it. Boy's dream to fly rc really came true! And now i understand why it is so addictive!!

Unforgettable, because i took off the first time with ailerons reversed the way they were working on the ground just seemed very logic at that moment. The minute i was in the air and noticed it since i wanted to go left in went right i paniced for a sec, but then thought focus! With a bit of luck i managed to put her back on the ground with ailerons reversed and without damage.

Second time went up with ailerons correct and was going good untill suddenly a few birds popped up and where trying to take the plane down. I think probably there were some birdnests closeby and they were trying to protect it. Where i would fly the birds constantly were following it. Again i managed to land it on grass without damage. What can i say, it was a crazy maiden flight haha but this is exactly what it is all about!! Excitment, thrill and fun!!

I do have a few questions for the experienced guys here. Some things that i noticed after maiden flight.

1. It seems that the rod on the left aileron is not properly aligned and off (see photo) is this a known problem and is this normal?

2. The aileron hinges connection to the main wing are of course of epo but quite thin. After a few flights and extensive use of ailerons, will the epo be strong enough and will the ailerons come off? It looks so thin.

3. I only took off from a asphalt road twice and landed twice in grass. The foam wheels look a bit worn out more than expected. Are standard wheels indeed worn out this fast? Did you guys replace them?

4. When should i replace the rubber bands?

5. How do you know how long you can fly without having telemetry? I am using a turnigy 3s 3300mah

6. Ist seems as if the ailerons servos have a big throw. I can see it pressed the epo a bit down on both sides (see photo) is this normal or is my throw to much on the ailerons?

Help would bevery much appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,

Marrone
Marrone is offline Find More Posts by Marrone
Last edited by Marrone; Jun 04, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Well, Marrone, first off, welcome to the Apprentice thread. Secondly, I didn't see any photos posted per your questions, but I'll try.

Questions:

1) need the photo to see what you're talking about

2) Aileron hinges: I have over 80 batteries through my Apprentice, adding up to well over 300 take-off and landings, usually averaging around 15 minute flights, and use my ailerons A LOT. No problems at all with my Ailerons separating at the hinges. Over time, if you notice cracking along the foam, just add hinge tape over the hinges to reinforce them (clean the hinge area with isopropyl alcohol to get a good contact surface)

3) Wheel/Tire wear: I always fly off asphalt (or concrete) and am still using the original wheels/tires that my Apprentice came with. They look used, but are still quite viable. If yours seem overly worn, check to see how easily the wheels spin on the axles. If there is binding, then the wheels will act like they have brakes on which will increase wear. Mine spin very freely.

4) Rubber Bands: my Apprentice is two years old now, and I'm on only my second set, and that is because the first set seemed to be drying out. Others talk about their rubber bands loosening up over time, but I suspect that that is because they store their Apprentice with the wing attached. When I get mine home, I remove the rubber bands to let them relax. A constantly stretched spring (or rubber band) will wear out more quickly than one that is allowed to relax when not in use. (especially if you don't fly every day)
To answer your question as to When to replace the rubber bands, when they start to crack, show signs of age, or start to lose their elasticity. You want them to keep the wing TIGHT to the fuselage.

5) How long can you fly: basically just time your first few flights, recharge your battery(s) and see how much charge is left in them. Using some math, you can then figure out the Amps per Minute draw of your flying, and figure out how long a battery might last. But that is totally dependent on how you fly. A 3300mAh 3s battery should last about 15 mins of average throttle use. But the best way is to time your flights, (make them shorter at first, 10 mins or so) and do the math).

6) Aileron throw: you might have too much if it is compressing the foam. This much throw is probably also putting more strain on your servos. Move the pushrod out a notch on the control horn on the wing, or in a notch on the servo. Also check the throws on your radio, if you have a computer radio like a DX6i. If you're using the RTF Apprentice with the DX5e, then adjust your pushrods.

Happy Flying!

'Hog
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:57 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post

Unforgettable, because i took off the first time with ailerons reversed the way they were working on the ground just seemed very logic at that moment. The minute i was in the air and noticed it since i wanted to go left in went right i paniced for a sec, but then thought focus! With a bit of luck i managed to put her back on the ground with ailerons reversed and without damage.
WOW! Thats a talent! - Do you think 20 years of gaming experience had something to do with it?

Congratulations on your maiden! Good one!
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:31 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Evening flight

Apprentice Evening Flight (1 min 55 sec)
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:12 AM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
sorry forgot to upload picture but here it is now.

Cheers

Marrone
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:55 AM
Gravity manager
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
@ sandhog Thanks mate for the effort! very helpful. Can you check the picture is just put up of rod? i am flying with a futaba t8fg and the 8 channel receiver.