Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2011, 09:53 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Just for laughs - a piece of foam shaped into some generic looking fuselage with wings and tail from different planes makes up a good Frankenplane...

Frankenplane (14 min 6 sec)
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 08:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
ok so i just got a used apprentice off ebay to replace the one i lost. And when the instructions say glue the wings together, THEY MEAN IT. I did not do that and listen to post on here and just used some fiber tape. And the wings buckled up to far and gave a v shape and caused me to loose control and crash. Luckly the only thing i broke was the cowl and motor mount. But you need to glue the wings together. Im doing that for next time.
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
Old May 09, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
ok so i just got a used apprentice off ebay to replace the one i lost. And when the instructions say glue the wings together, THEY MEAN IT. I did not do that and listen to post on here and just used some fiber tape. And the wings buckled up to far and gave a v shape and caused me to loose control and crash. Luckly the only thing i broke was the cowl and motor mount. But you need to glue the wings together. Im doing that for next time.
I have mine glued, but the glue should not have any bearing on the wings buklking into a v shape. The spar through the wings should prevent that. The glue would just keep the halves from separating and sliding out off the spar wouldn't it?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 09, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well i was using a woden dowl that fit tight into the wing with ducktape to hold the wing half's together and it still flexed. Im deff gluing it together. My T-34 wing is a pita to break down everytime so i can just pack it with that.
Old May 09, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have mine glued, but the glue should not have any bearing on the wings buklking into a v shape. The spar through the wings should prevent that. The glue would just keep the halves from separating and sliding out off the spar wouldn't it?
That's it in a nutshell, Bobly; my original answer to the same question is posted a couple of pages back on this very forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post18107076
The aluminum spar is what keeps the wings from folding, the glue or tape just keeps the wings from sliding off the spar. I've had the same set of wings for almost two years now, with only two (2) pieces of Scotch Packing Tape holding them together. 3s batteries for "stock" power, 4s batteries for almost 660 watts of power (that's 187 watts/pound for you people that think in 3D and aerobatic amounts of power), loops, rolls, some inverted flight, and hundreds of take-offs and landings, and my wings have never slipped apart or folded up. Here is a point, though, I did CLEAN the foam wings with isopropyl alcohol before I put the tape on, to get rid of finger prints, mold release compound, etc. to make sure the tape would stick well. Glue or tape, the SPAR keeps the wings from folding.

Quote:
well i was using a woden dowl that fit tight into the wing with ducktape to hold the wing half's together and it still flexed. Im deff gluing it together. My T-34 wing is a pita to break down everytime so i can just pack it with that.
Just FYI, Chaos, a wooden dowel is not going to be as strong as the aluminum tube that comes with the plane. But if you feel safer gluing your wings, then that is what you should do.

I completely agree on the T-34 issue; I hate taking the wings off of that thing and then having to feed the aileron and flap servo leads through the battery tray and up into the receiver, and then put those nylon bolts in, etc. Ugh. I just put it together, leave it assembled for storage, and transport it assembled. Either sitting on its nose in the back seat with the prop off, or in the back of my SUV.
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Old May 09, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Speaking of glue

I put a new tail set on my apprentice. The vertical stabiliser fit's tightly into the plastic support that screws on the tail, no problemo, no need to glue. I was wrong. On my first flight yesterday after fixing the plane from my last crash the stabiliser came off in flight and was only hanging on by the pushrod clevis. Luckily I was able to "land" it with no damage. I've just put a couple of drops of superglue on it and that baby ain't coming off now. Should have known better. The forces in flight are allot different to the forces that you think you can simulate on the work bench.
mattysa is offline Find More Posts by mattysa
Old May 09, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysa View Post
I put a new tail set on my apprentice. The vertical stabiliser fit's tightly into the plastic support that screws on the tail, no problemo, no need to glue. I was wrong. On my first flight yesterday after fixing the plane from my last crash the stabiliser came off in flight and was only hanging on by the pushrod clevis. Luckily I was able to "land" it with no damage. I've just put a couple of drops of superglue on it and that baby ain't coming off now. Should have known better. The forces in flight are allot different to the forces that you think you can simulate on the work bench.
ohyea. Ive done that on a little parkzone and messed me all up. Yea always glue if it doesnt have a screw. if you have doubts about it dont fly or fix it. You can never be to safe
Old May 09, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
401 Posts
So... after 15 flights, the apprentice went down. NOSE down very fast. The signal just died, there was no response from anything (motor, ailerons, rudder). As if I turned the remote off.

I went to look at the damage and it look pretty bad, Fuselage is basically in half, somewhat intact. Both wings are damaged, the thin wood inside of them is piercing out of the foam. Cowl, motor mount and motor snapped right off. The battery took a slight impact, minor squash on one edge.

I don't understand why the signal just died, I wasn't far at all. The only thing different today from the other days was there was someone in the parking lot with an R/C car.

I've read through most of this thread and recall reading some posts about "defective" recievers that came in the Apprentice (AR500).

What can I do at this point?
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Last edited by FTA_FTW; May 09, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
bad deal did you have the Ar500. My buddies went down like that. Luckly we were able to fix the plane and horizon replaced the motor and the reciever with a ar600. They wont replace the plane which stinks. Its their problem. Call them up.
Old May 09, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
bad deal did you have the Ar500. My buddies went down like that. Luckly we were able to fix the plane and horizon replaced the motor and the reciever with a ar600. They wont replace the plane which stinks. Its their problem. Call them up.

Yup, have the Ar500. I am so upset, I just got this plane two weeks ago and was flying so well :@.

I don't think its repairable... I mean it probably wont fly the same at all.
Old May 09, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
It MIGHT not be the receiver; on my Apprentice one of the Eflite digital wing servos shorted out or otherwise malfunctioned, and caused my electrical system to go completely dead, like you're describing. Fortunately for me, it was right in the first couple of seconds of my take-off roll, so it just rolled to a stop.

I thought at first that it was the battery lead that had come undone (it was still tight), but I eventually determined that it was a servo by unplugging everything and then starting with the ESC, I plugged each component in one by one, and when I got to the defective servo, BINGO, everything went dead again. Unplugged that servo, everything worked again.

Before you automatically blame the AR500 receiver, you may want to check the operation of all your servos one by one to see if one of those is the culprit. I seem to be the only one to get a defective servo, so likely it's the AR500, but you may still want to check.
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Old May 10, 2011, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
I just bought a new apprentice two weeks ago and it has the AR600 receiver in it. Is this one supposed to be better than the 500?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I just bought a new apprentice two weeks ago and it has the AR600 receiver in it. Is this one supposed to be better than the 500?
The AR600 is a better receiver in the sense that there doesn't seem to be many reports of it browning out like there are of the AR500. I sent in my AR500 to Horizion about a month ago because it browned out on me a couple of times. I was lucky in that it didn't destroy my plane and the wing damage was repairable. While they couldn't replicate the problem at there shop, they are replacing it with an AR600 which should arrive today according to UPS. I am not sure if they would replace a plane that has crashed; I do know that they have replaced some of the micro's that have crashed due to faulty motors and such ( just check the micro mosquito thread), but that seems to be the exception. I have read on this and other forums about problems with AR500 but it's hard to know the extent. I know that I will not buy an AR500 and at the field I fly, most of the guys have taken them out of service and upgraded to the AR600 in their t-28's and fms warbirds after seening the brownouts first hand.
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old May 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
[QUOTE=chaos2984;18192967]bad deal did you have the Ar500. My buddies went down like that. Luckly we were able to fix the plane and horizon replaced the motor and the reciever with a ar600. They wont replace the plane which stinks. Its their problem. Call them up.[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think more and more that the major brown out I had a few months ago was my AR500 rx crapping out on me. I thought it was a bad link or even a battery connection but neither of those I could replicate with any certainty. So how did you put it to HH? Did you just call them and ask them and let them know what happened? do you have to send them the AR500?
mattysa is offline Find More Posts by mattysa
Old May 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
401 Posts
Well phoned HH this morning and they basically said to send the receiver in and they will inspect it...