HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Discussion
Somebody hacked into my credit... anyone ever fixed something like this?

can you PM me? or any adivce...

im so boned...
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
JOe,

Go onto annualcreditreport.com - check out the FAQs and order your 1 free annual credit report.

Call the reporting agencies & request a "fraud alert" - from the website FAQs:

Quote:
How do I request a "fraud alert" be placed on my file?
You have the right to ask that nationwide consumer credit reporting companies place "fraud alerts" in your file to let potential creditors and others know that you may be a victim of identity theft. A fraud alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you. It also may delay your ability to obtain credit. You may place a fraud alert in your file by calling just one of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies. As soon as that agency processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two, which then also must place fraud alerts in your file.

* Equifax: 1-877-576-5734; www.equifax.com
* Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com/fraud
* TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com

An initial fraud alert stays in your file for at least 90 days. An extended alert stays in your file for seven years. To place either of these alerts, a consumer credit reporting company will require you to provide appropriate proof of your identity, which may include your Social Security number. If you ask for an extended alert, you will have to provide an identity theft report. An identity theft report includes a copy of a report you have filed with a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency. For more detailed information about the identity theft report, visit www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Call the credit card company(ies) that you have cards with. Let them know what happened - they take security seriously and will work with you.

This all really sucks, I am hoping for the best for you.

And check this out from the Fed Trade Commission http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...rs/defend.html
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Last edited by ajroahkni; May 15, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Very COOL of you John! Hey if have not built that Chinook yet please let me know. I have some good news for you!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old May 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Damn, thanks for the info!... Starting the process now... why do i feel this is going to be a big stupid uphill battle...

thanks again!

JOe
Old May 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Joe
This thread awhile back had alot of great info in it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607518

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old May 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus
Joe
This thread awhile back had alot of great info in it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607518

Steven
wonder how it all played out with Brian...

what a crappy day... went to pick up some destiny's, had to cancel because of a medical bill i got in the mail before i left said my insurance wont cover it (because im according to them 3hours of work short before benefits), went to pay it and my credit was no good, check credit and ithere is over 50k of credit on my name that does not belong to me just when things were getting OK i get hit with this crap.

this is gonna be a fun one to win
Old May 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
The card companies reputations are built on their ability to verify and then protect your identity. It is downright embarrassing and damaging to that reputation for them to be conned by someone claiming to be, but is not, you.

I think they will want to help you to get this cleared as soon as possible.

Good luck.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old May 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
JOe, you need to sacrifice a live chicken or something.. I have never met a nicer guy with worse luck/breaks than you... Well it can't rain forever, and when this latest storm passes you will be wiser... Good luck Bro!

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old May 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDee
JOe, you need to sacrifice a live chicken or something.. I have never met a nicer guy with worse luck/breaks than you... Well it can't rain forever, and when this latest storm passes you will be wiser... Good luck Bro!

BD
thats what my mom keeps saying. lol..

im about a week shy of writing a country music song luckly the mistakes/fraud whatever it truly is, is on my Experian credit line only... luckly i only have to deal with 1 of the 3 insted of all of them... They actually make it quite easy to report it and communication has been great so far... i hope to have all this behind me soon. Going over to my union tomorrow to sweet talk some of the ladies there to see if i can get around those 3 hours that may cost me 4grand gonna go watch Duce Biggalow and take notes
Old May 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woe JOe. Maybe it's those carbon Dezies you've been ordering - someone must rekon you've come into the Big Bucks being part of the DS crowd

It's frightening how easy it is to clone the mag strip on a credit card. And the US is seen as being too much a problem and hence nothing is happening, which makes for a huge opportunity for the hackers.

Here in Australia they are implementing smart chips on all credit cards, same through Asia. In Malaysia I believe visa won't deal with a merchant if they don't have the smart chip POS machines.

I got stung last year, but Visa picked up that someone was running unorthorised tx's on my card in Italy... It took about 2 months to sort out, but they were very goo about it.

Sam.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old May 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDee

BD

I'm in, I haven't been to a chicken sacrifice in a long time.

on a more personal note, JOe you still suck

B

ps
yes i am kicking you while your down
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old May 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
Good luck, Joe - I just had someone add $250 worth of credit to their Verizon Wireless account directly out of my personal checking account. The bank was good about getting the money back, but I'm thinking of putting my money in a sack and throwing it in the freezer.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old May 15, 2008, 08:01 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L
I'm in, I haven't been to a chicken sacrifice in a long time.

on a more personal note, JOe you still suck

B

ps
yes i am kicking you while your down

Im still faster... and i don't wear spandex... wow! i feel better
Old May 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill

Im still faster... and i don't wear spandex... wow! i feel better
OK, maybe you have a couple valid points

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old May 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
JOe on behalf of sighted people everywhere I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for NOT wearing spandex. Besides Bill doesn't wear spandex (shiny), cyclists wear Lycra... which is completely different. LOL

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee