SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:04 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,235 Posts
What do you think about this? Electric FliteStreak

These are plans for an old C/L ship called a Combat Streak. Very good flyer. These plans are 1/2 size of the original mode. If built to the plan size, it will have a 21" W/S, and be about 13 1/2 length.
Am I crazy, or will this be a good park or indoor flyer? What power system do think will be best?
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101
Last edited by tlh101; Jan 17, 2003 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:12 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I like it! Has a cool, vintage look to it. I think it could make a nice indoor flyer with that thick symmetrical airfoil, inverted should be quite nice. I'd cut half the wing ribs out and try to build it as light as possible, then start with a GWS DX motor. At less than 24" you should be able to get it to or under 7 ounces AUW. Assuming you're running a geared motor and large prop to slow it down for indoor use, you might also consider enlarging all the control surfaces to give you more stability for low speed maneuvering. Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:09 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hmmm... Looks pretty cool. I think I'd go with maybe 5 ribs total 3/32" thick, 4 1/8" spars w/ a 1/8" spruce LE and a 1/8" balsa TE , 1/16" box fuse with just a few 1/8" square formers... IPS-2XC w/8x4.3... Aileron / Elevator...

Hmmm.......

Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:18 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2000
725 Posts
WOW ... what a walk down memory lane. I built and flew one of those WAY back in the early 1960's ... it flew great. Back then you could get the plane, engine (McCoy), dope, glue and change back from your $10 bill. After that I upgraded to a Riley Wooten VooDoo and a Fox 35 Combat Special ... hot stuff

Anyway I agree with Tres, it'll probably convert nicely. I'd make it a 3 channel plane. Motor, ailerons and elevator. Looking at the drawing you posted, it looks like the wing trailing edge where the ailerons go is a little bit small ... so I'd enlarge them some. Also mount the verticle stab straight ... you won't be needing to keep it tight on the lines. The elevator looks OK but but like Tres said you might want to enlarge them some too. Won't hurt a thing.
Good luck
Tom
columbiarcdude is offline Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:36 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
Oh Yaa! The thrum of the lines, the whirling background, the surge of adrealin as dive for the kill! Oh Yaa!

My favorite combat plane BG (before girls). Had one with a Fox 35 Combat Special, silked the wings, gloss black on TE and fuse and tail, bright yellow for the pointed stipes on fuse/tail and middle of wing pattern, fire red on the wing LE, bubble canopy with pilot. Oh YAA! (suppressing oil, clean up, breaking in and tuning, tuning, tuning engine, glow plugs, nitromethane raw/burnt smell) Cost me many hours mowing lawns, yes Sir!

I have seen several Flight Streaks recently in the hobby shops but never the Combat Streak. Use the basic design and it should work. Extend the rudder and enlarge the elevator some. The kit would be a real bear to convert thou. LOTS of heavy ply/balsa structure. Which figures since it was designed to fly combat - big, heavy, tough. Flew great as long as the motor was running well. But I could glide it well by "whipping". Finally destroyed it in a direct impact midair - confetti... Oh well!
Love that plane,
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:53 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Flite Streak

Oh the control line days. Had one of the flight streaks. One day the "down" line broke--- full up! Not much to do except watch it make real tight loops. Darned if that thing didn't come out just right so that the bottom of one of those loops was right on the ground. Broken prop. No other damage What are the odds?
Wade
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2003, 02:26 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
At 21" it was either a 1/2 A .049 or A .09. An Astro 010 would be equivelent. They were pretty fast at about 30 -35 mph, but would loop in 30'. Looks like a fun project.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:04 AM
Deer Park, Tx, USA
Joined Feb 2001
422 Posts
The Flite Streaks were great sport U/C too. I had 1/2a,b,c class and they were all great. In fact, there is still a large one hanging in my dad's garage with intact covering.
Russell2 is offline Find More Posts by Russell2