Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
New Product
New Art-Tech Scale Looking F18A Blue Angels $99.00 plus Freight

Waiting at my door last night was the new Hobby City Art-Tech Blue Angels F18.

It is longer then the H/L F18 and in my view scale. I like the color better then the H/L F18 because it is closer to the real color blue used by the real Blue Angels. The decals are of the sticker kind versus the water slide decals which I prefer. I think they could have done a better job with the design of the stickers but in the air no one will notice.

The pilot needs to go and I will find a way to replace it. It is an unpainted head figure that looks like the head of Howie from deal or no deal and he is to big for the size of the jet. I have had 4 of the Art-Tech products and as in my other planes it is done very well.

The fan is the same size as the H/L F18, even looks like the same motor. I like how they ran the wires and the placement of the ESC it is cleaner then the H/L F18. The construction of the F18 is very similar to how you build the H/L F18.

It comes with everything except the rx. The LiPo is a ver square and made to fit into the battery compartment. I have many Lipo's and am not sure I have on shaped like this. I will experiment to see if any of my LiPo's will fit. If not then this would be a big negative to the model. The battery dimensions are:
2 3/8 " Long
7/8 " High
1 5/8' Wide

Kind of the size of a small ice cream bar.

The exhausts are smaller then the H/L. They measure 39.6 mm inside diameter compared to the H/L 41.3 inside diameter. And the intakes are smaller as well. When I fly it tomorrow I will be able to see what the difference is in performance. I will bring both to the field and do a side by side comparison.

I will finish building the F18 tonight and then I will set it down next to my H/L F18 Viper and we will see the differences.

I will post late this afternoon.

Vern
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Last edited by velyter; May 15, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2008, 10:22 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
A few more pictures.

2 screws hold the fan cradle into the fuse very easy to remove and put back.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,289 Posts
Vern,
Thanks for the nice pictures and explaining the diff. between the two. Odd pilot! I hope it is easy to remove. Wonder why they would go to so much work doing a scale plane, then put Casper the ghost in the cockpit??

How much did they hit you for postage on this guy?

Good luck on your test flight --- Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Last edited by stacker; May 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:07 AM
R&D Engineer
China shenzhen
Joined Sep 2007
468 Posts
Andy chen is offline Find More Posts by Andy chen
Old May 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Vern,
Thanks for the nice pictures and explaining the diff. between the two. Odd pilot! I hope it is easy to remove. Wonder why they would go to so much work doing a scale plane, then put Casper the ghost in the cockpit??

How much did they hit you for postage on this guy?

Good luch on your test flight --- Stacker

Hey Stacker the freight was 41.95. I also purchased some other items so the freight cost's were averaged lower.

The canopy is glued on so I will have to come up with a way to remove it without damaging the foam. I really like this F18. I like the more scale lines.

Vern
Old May 15, 2008, 12:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
yeah, its WAY more scale. i loev the inlets, and the shape in general. i might just have to "pop" for this one when i get some funds! looks pretty nice. with the small inlets/exits, it should be a little faster.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,289 Posts
That postage is a killer though. Have to wait and order batteries and other supplies all at once, or see if it shown up in the states.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old May 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
That postage is a killer though. Have to wait and order batteries and other supplies all at once, or see if it shown up in the states.

Cheers--Stacker

Even with the $41.95 freight, it is still cheeper by a lot then the H/L F18.

Vern
Old May 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
They are out of stock at hobbie city . Wonder if they survived the earthquake??
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old May 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Well allright... I'm really interested in the side-by-side results.

I have a special interest on the effects of the differences in the aileron control surfaces.

Looks like the ones on this kit are in the scale location.

Could you let us know your thoughts on the impact of that on the handling characteristics? Thanks.

Fan looks an eansy bit larger. Say 65mm?

Some other little things here and there, I like a bit more. The seperate rails, wiring etc.

Good luck with the build and maiden!
ibanks is offline Find More Posts by ibanks
Old May 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
My quote for shipping was over $60. That's extortion. My F-16 from eflypower took $20 EMS. Must be all the electronics pushing up the weight.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old May 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy chen
Unfortunately, nothing in this worlds lasts forever and that includes product designs. Since we aren't dealing with an original design that is copyrighted, anyone can come up with their own version. Now if were an EXACT copy, then I suppose people should get bent out of shape. Long term competition in the marketplace requires consistant high quality combined with fair price.

The obvious way around that is to design something from scratch and then copyright the design. Even then, it won't be long before someone copies the design and changes just enough to skirt around any legality issues.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
The model is not the same dimensions as the Hobby Lobby's F18. It is much more scale. The Hobby City F18 is slimmer and longer with rounded intakes and better scale details.

The main gear just pushes in and the front struts comes off with one turn of a set screw. So it can be ready for hand launching in seconds. I am concerned about the power it does not seem robust enough. I will test fly tomorrow.

The F18 sets lower to the ground then the H/L F18.

I think the ailerons in the scale location will work better.Vern

The stock LiPo is a 11.1 volts & 1600 Mah. It weights 4 5/8 ozs.

The motor is an in running 4300 kv cheep Chinese motor. I think a jet screamer might purk this baby up with a little modification.

At full throttle the motor is pulling 22.8 amps and 240 watts. This should give a 6 minute flight or better.

The F18 weighs with stock LiPo1 71/8 lbs and the H/L F18 weighs 1 61/2 lbs. So the new F18 weighs a little more.

Vern
Last edited by velyter; May 15, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
More pictures

Vern
Old May 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
So far here is my likes and dislikes about the F18:

1. Very easy to build, I never even looked at the directions until after I was finished. It is even easier then the H/L F18 because you don't have to glue the front section on and you don't have to mess with screwing on the landing gear. I always has trouble getting those screws to go in the first time.

2. The directions where very well done with lots of pictures and pretty good broken English. Anyone can build this model quickly. I did not spend more then 30 minutes build time not counting the glue drying.

3. Scale, much more scale then H/L's F18. The paint color is closer and the scale details are more accurate, although not perfect.

4. I like how easy it is to remove the fan without having to unscrew 4 screws and pull up the tape.

5. I think it is better looking. My guess is Art-Tech took H/L's F18 and made vast improvements based on their F18.

6. It is about $60 plus dollars cheaper then H/L's F18. Currently they are advertising the ARF version for $209.00 plus freight. I paid $99.00 plus $41.95 freight and I purchased a LiPo battery with the F18 for another model so my actual freight was less. Even with full freight I paid $140.95 delivered. Not bad for a better looking F18.

7. Everything is easy to get too in this F18.

8. I like the servo's in each wing. This will deliver better performance.

What I don't like.

1 Hobby Lobby doesn't sell it. If I need extra parts that might be a problem. They don't even list spare parts such as nose cones. H/L always takes care of me.

2. The pilot is not scale and he needs to go on a diet. I suggest Art-Tech loose the pilot figure. Takes away from the jet.

3. Can't think of anything else but I am sure I will tomorrow.
Last edited by velyter; May 15, 2008 at 07:29 PM.