HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Discussion
why is the "Why is the "Can anything be done about gas prices?" thread closed?

Why is the " Why is the "Can anything be done about gas prices?" thread closed?

I didn't even get to post in it.

om
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old May 14, 2008, 10:35 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Why not?

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old May 14, 2008, 10:57 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Well, it seemed to run the intended course and answered all the questions I had.

You should close this thread so someone can ask why it was closed too. ....
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old May 15, 2008, 07:44 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Oh man, just when we thought we'd gotten rid of the Spelling Nazis, we run into Thread Closing Nazis.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 15, 2008, 07:54 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
Oh man, just when we thought we'd gotten rid of the Spelling Nazis, we run into Thread Closing Nazis.

HF
Hey! I resemble that remark!
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old May 15, 2008, 01:11 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2856S
Hey! I resemble that remark!
In my opinion, closing a thread for the stated reason is very rude.

Yes, perhaps your interest had been satisfied, but one should consider that other folks had gathered to discuss the issue, and their interests perhaps were not.

A thread starter has no obligation to continue to participate at any point - to close the thread to prevent others from participating is unnecessary and unwarranted.

About like inviting people over, and as soon as they show up, throwing them out.

I actually think such behavior should be subject to censure like any other disruptive activity.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2
In my opinion, closing a thread for the stated reason is very rude.

Yes, perhaps your interest had been satisfied, but one should consider that other folks had gathered to discuss the issue, and their interests perhaps were not.

A thread starter has no obligation to continue to participate at any point - to close the thread to prevent others from participating is unnecessary and unwarranted.

About like inviting people over, and as soon as they show up, throwing them out.

I actually think such behavior should be subject to censure like any other disruptive activity.
I tend to agree, but Lakedude has voiced the opinion that a thread should stay on the subject of the OP, especially if subjects such as politics, weapons, or pretty much whatever annoys him come up. I am sure that his opinion is not unique.

And there is no rule against closing one's own thread even if others have participated in it and are interested in continuing the discussion.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Last edited by lrsudog; May 15, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended anyone by closing the thread but that was not the intent. The intent was to see if there was something that could be done to reduce the price at the pump. It seemed the concensus of the group that I was just pipe dreaming and therefore the thread was closed. I welcome another thread on the same subject to start and would participate if I thought I had something to add. Rude, maybe. I assure you that was not the intent either directly or indirectly. As far as the chasing everyone home from the party, I dissagree. It's more like a discussion in the park. Public ground and no invite needed.
Old May 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Rude! RUDE! AAAAGGGGGGH!!!

rude....

It's just a thread. Closing a thread wherein others have a vested interest in continuing is a bit off form, but as you say, someone else can start another. It just makes it easier to keep it all under one title I suppose.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old May 15, 2008, 01:37 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
You could always just reopen it.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
You may have the know-how...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
You could always just reopen it.
But I sure blew it when I tried....
A new thread popped up by mistake. Would it be rude to close that thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864500
Old May 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2856S
I'm sorry if I offended anyone by closing the thread but that was not the intent. The intent was to see if there was something that could be done to reduce the price at the pump. It seemed the concensus of the group that I was just pipe dreaming and therefore the thread was closed. I welcome another thread on the same subject to start and would participate if I thought I had something to add. Rude, maybe. I assure you that was not the intent either directly or indirectly. As far as the chasing everyone home from the party, I dissagree. It's more like a discussion in the park. Public ground and no invite needed.

I didn't think you were intending any offense, hence the post to let you know how your action might be perceived.

I think the analogy I used was on-point

The proper analogy to the public park would be for a person to start a discussion on a topic, have a crowd gather to join in, and then, when the person loses interest, to not simply leave, but to actively prevent the crowd from continuing the discussion - say turning a fire hose on them or clashing cymbals, etc.

I think some of the idea behind the idea of OPs closing a thread comes from the pre-internet world when resources would be saved by turning off items when one is through with them, not the case here.

oh, and not mentioned, but most obvious, the true cure for high prices at the pump - is - high prices at the pump.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Are yall done yet? Can I close this thread now?

I've never done that before.
Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old May 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Oh no, they've been reading our posts!

See what they went and did?
Old May 15, 2008, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62.5pilot
Are yall done yet? Can I close this thread now?

Yep
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee