HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:27 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Cool
More cool stuff in Afghanistan!

Well, we decided that our "coffee drinking area" at the house, well, sucked. So, this is what we have done to rectify the situation.

Now we dont have to stand in the rough rocks in our flip flops at night. And we have a nice place to hang out when we are not at work.

16 feet by 32 feet of "relaxing area" is what it is. Built primarily by Dennis, Ervin and myself. With some help from others on occasion.

There is still a lot more to do, but, its gettin there! We usually only have time to work on it one day a week or so... and thats if the weather is decent and we are not beat dead tired. Maybe it will be done before we leave in 8 months!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 11:40 AM
Just a regular guy!
Joined May 2008
3 Posts
I think I recognize some of those furniture designs… It’d make a nice outdoor movie theater
Joe Slowstick is offline Find More Posts by Joe Slowstick
Old May 14, 2008, 03:19 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
LOL, yeah, very similar funiture to what I built in Iraq. Hmm... how come no one ever builds this stuff before I get here! I guess its good for the guys who come after me.

As for the outdoor movie theater... thats the plan. 8x8 screen with a nice Proxima projector running off our lap top. Should work like a charm.

Laine.
Old May 14, 2008, 06:49 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
good idea,everyone needs a place to relax,but it appears you're working your butt off to get there,gee you're going to need to relax-he,he. i enjoy your posts,be safe.lol
MYHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by MYHELIGUY
Old May 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Great deck design Laine. Just about the right dimensions for my place. Considered posting some tiled pdf templates?
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old May 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,018 Posts
Way cool man, good job. Just don't drop any quarters through the cracks.
Stay safe, and enjoy what you can.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old May 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,867 Posts
LOL - all I can think about when I see that is what your supply Sgt must have gone through to get the wood! Like Klinger on MASH

I imagine that wood is REALLY expensive!!!!!
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old May 15, 2008, 12:01 AM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Awesome Laine, great craftsmanship! Nice you guys will have a place to relax. The projector sounds really neat too. Doesnt look so bad over there hmm....
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old May 15, 2008, 06:49 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Well, so far I have dropped a bunch of nails, screws and my lighter down there. I have a metal clothes hanger that I use to retreive lost articles. Works ok for now. a magnet or something would be better I guess.

As for the supply sgt... well, THATS ME! Myself and another CW2 are the supply guys. But, I did the run around to get all the lumber for this project and the last. Not easy at all, but once you get to know people, you can kinda do some trading to get what you need.

The sunburn from doing all this is killin me though. My shoulders are smoked!

As for PDF files... hmmm... where would I put the plans, in the scratchbuilt forum?

Thanks guys,

Laine.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,680 Posts
Laine, That is one great deck, man! When I was in "the northern AOR of Kuwait" we built something similar outside our temper tents, but we didn't have the nice bench you have...ours was more of a long Adirondack chair....stretched to resemble a bench, but hey, what can you expect from a group of Avionics techs?!

Anyway, keep posting updates man, we all love hearing from you and I am sure all of us are looking forward to some pictures of your cartoon A-10!

A big heartfelt thanks to you and your family for your sacrifice! A big HOOOOAH! to you and your guys from someone who has "been there!"

Tim
AG4RZ
Operation Desert Thunder 98-99
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old May 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,566 Posts
Yea right! I can just imagine the dancin girls are next on the list. Yer wife know about this? LMAO. Just kiddin! Lookin good & functional. Ya gotta make yer own conditions as you well know. Glad to hear from you. I suspect all this 'building' is gonna raise holy hob when you get home. As in, "Honey, what do think about building me a .....out back?" I sure wouldn't want to be in yer shoes @ that juncture...LOL............
Please extend our thanks to everyone for their service over there. We think of all of you every day. The nastygram side from the community here is why haven't you written? SHAME SHAME!

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old May 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
Dang!!!!!
The Woodlands Tx
Joined Apr 2007
383 Posts
Fantastic, Thanks for posting your pictures and please post more. My wife and I pray for you Guys every night.

God Speed.

YBRC
Yardbird RC is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird RC
Old May 15, 2008, 10:42 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
As for the supply sgt... Not easy at all, but once you get to know people, you can kinda do some trading to get what you need.

Laine.
HA HA - that's exactly what I pictured Good to see even the 'Merican military still has "that" issue. Did some service myself up here in the frigid North - I remember vividly what guys would trade for warmer gloves. ..

You take care - that made my day.
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old May 16, 2008, 01:56 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks again for the comments guys.

The Cartoon A-10 that Rusty-Gunn sent will be started in about a week. Waitin on the building tools from the wife. I'll post pics here in my blog throughout the build. Along with a maiden flight video etc... Such a cute little plane.

I told the new company commander we were going to buy a brass pole for the deck... he said no! I simply said "roger sir." Then, he got smart and after a short pause (he notice me thinking) he said "No GOLD pole either! No silver, pewter or alluminum poles!". That fella was thinking! Because that was exactly what we would have done.

Realistically, no one would use a pole, but its just the thought and the fact of how cool it would be to have it there. I dont think my wifey would have appreciated the humor though anyway!

As for the wife, yeah, she jumps me every time I deploy because of all the stuff I build when Im gone. The difference is that here, I dont directly pay for the materials like I have to at home. This deck would have cost a fortune to build at home, as would most of the things I do here.

However, I will build her some really nice "smaller" stuff for the deck we currently have at our house, front and back. There I can use quality lumber (hard wood). Not just warped pine like I have here.

And Yardbird... thank you for the prayers. Things are getting a little "sporty" over here lately if you know what I mean. The bad guys seem to prefer this weather to the winter.

Laine.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:52 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
At least

See,
You did learn your lesson. #3 in the list of 5 things to never do. .. IE.. a hammock is definately not a hand made piece of wooden porch furniture that your CO can come along and "offer" to "buy" from you in a war zone... good idea on the hammock.

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera