HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2008, 02:07 AM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Fly-In
DFW Area August 2&3, 2008 3D Hobby Shop and the 114th RC Aero Squadron Flyin

The first 3D Hobby Shop Fly-in will be August 2 & 3 at the 114th RC Aero Squadron Field in Grapevine, Texas.

The fly-in is a gathering of 3DHS fans and those that would like to learn more about 3DHS products. All types of aircraft will be welcome in addition to the stable of 3DHS planes. Ben Fisher and friends will be flying and demonstrating his products thoughout the weekend. He might even take the wraps off some cool new project.

Google Map of the field and surrounding area.

http://tinyurl.com/5d9g2t

A map to the club field can be found at http://www.114thrc.org/fieldinfo_map.html

and more information will be available at the 114th's web site http://114thrc.org/

The club’s Grapevine field has a large grass runway and electrical outlets in the pit area. We are also planning have a raffle sponsored by 3DHS.

There will be snacks and drinks during the day. If the weather is good we'll stick around for some night flying.

For those people arriving by land the field in located 5 minutes North of Hwy 114 on the border between Southlake and Grapevine. Take the Carroll Exit from the West and the Kimball Exit from the East.

For those arriving by air the field is about 15 minutes Northwest of DFW airport and about 35 minutes from Dallas Love Field.

There are many hotels and tourist attractions in the area. See http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ for a listing of things for your family to do in Grapevine such as Shopping, riding a Steam Railroad from Downtown Grapevine to the Fort Worth Stockyards, playing in the Waterpark at Great Wolf Lodge, or a Spa Day at the Gaylord Texan Resort.

Lodging is available to suit almost any budget from high end resorts to budget hotel such as Super 8 to the Vineyards Cabins and Campground. http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Pla...1/Default.aspx

Dry camping (No electric or water hookups is available in Meadowmere Park which is located next to the Club Field. Camping
http://www.ci.grapevine.tx.us/Indivi...0/Default.aspx

In addition to the hotels in Grapevine there is also a Hilton nearby in Southlake Town Square. http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/m...?order=catlist and the Marriott Solana in Westlake. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...rriott-solana/

I hope to see you there!

Wendell Hubbard

Regular AMA is required to fly at the field. Unfortunately the Parkflyer Membership does not meet our landlords requirements in our lease.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Last edited by gwh; Jul 22, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
All types of electric aircraft or glow and gas, too?
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old May 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Wendell is the man for answering questions, but at all the previous fly-ins I've been to at this field, there were no restrictions on power source. Sometimes there is an electric-only period in the early afternoon if there is a quiet event going on at the adjacent city/lake park.

So, as of now, we're planning on bringing electric and gas, unless notified otherwise.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2008, 12:11 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
All types of electric aircraft or glow and gas, too?
Of course!! Diesel and CO2 too if you have them. While we do not ban turbines, the field is not really set up to accommodate most turbine jets. We always have a good time when Ben drops by our field to fly and this event is an extension of those days. Just this time we are inviting all 3DHS addicts to stop by for a fix.

There are some houses nearby so electric is normally preferred during the early morning hours and there is normally ~20 minute break in flying around 7 pm to if there is a wedding at the chapel next door. Small silent airplanes can still be flown during the wedding.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old May 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
Keller/Watauga, Texas
Joined Jun 2007
67 Posts
Yea! Nice to see my local club doing an event like this. While I am not a member yet with 114th I will be soon. I flew a couple times at their field last year to get a feel for the area and the people and really enjoyed both. I will definitely be up for this event.
Dazzaz is offline Find More Posts by Dazzaz
Old May 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Alright...so, here's what we're planning:

1.We'll be putting on a 3DH raffle with some ARF aircraft and accessories. Proceeds will go to the club, hopefully everyone will participate so we'll be asked back again.

2.It looks like food will be available at the field, working on details now.

3.We'll try to bring Scott Stoops and Andrew Jesky in to fly, but both of these guys are very busy, so we will have to wait and see if their schedules work out, but both said they'd try.

4.We'll bring airplanes to sell in case anyone needs to replace theirs.

5.I'm sure we'll have some new planes to demo.

more to come....
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Dec 1996
357 Posts
It sounds like a lot of fun, looking forward to it. Note to anybody not from Texas, it's very hot in August.
cnims is offline Find More Posts by cnims
Old May 15, 2008, 07:46 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
We have water on tap at the field. If it gets really hot we can turn on the sprinklers.

There is a grill on site so we may have burgers and dogs for donations.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old May 15, 2008, 08:04 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
I'm IN!!

I have every intention of being there unless some unexpected emergency prevents it! I think my mentor, Joe Gross will be there too and probably another buddy of mine as well so Altus, Oklahoma will be well represented! I would appreciate any additional info on the dry camping site adjacent to the field to include speculation on whether Our Rig will fit into the dry camping area. REALLY looking forward to this event!

Troy
phyxer is offline Find More Posts by phyxer
Old May 16, 2008, 02:38 PM
I Drank the Kool Aid
Houston, TX
Joined Apr 2007
185 Posts
It's marked on my calendar. =) Trying to convince a couple friends to come as well.
Iunnrais is offline Find More Posts by Iunnrais
Old May 17, 2008, 06:40 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
This ought top be FUN!!!
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old May 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Have Aspera - will come......

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2008, 02:10 AM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this one. For anyone out there who hasn't flown with the 3DHS crew....you're in for a treat. One word of caution though...the peanut gallery will yell "LOWER" at you while flying your beloved 3DHS planes. Resistance is usually futile, so make sure to bring plenty of CA!!

Brett
smelyal8r is offline Find More Posts by smelyal8r
Old May 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,237 Posts
Cool! I should be there. The long drive should be the only thing in the way.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old May 19, 2008, 03:55 PM
3DHobbyShop disciple
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
Cant wait to see the 1st inverted landing by BoneDoc to be followed by Brett.

Malves that 15 min to get to field can be a bear.

This will be a blast Grape Kool Aid hopefully will be there.........it's a long time between now and Aug 2-3
waltj2k is offline Find More Posts by waltj2k