HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:06 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
Yep, got to have gear to save the antennas. No retracts on this one though. Went home and finished the canopy plug last night. I dred vacuforming since I'm not so good at it.

I've got two wing/nacelle setups to choose from, one has edf55's and the other has Haoye 51mm. Both have the same motors though. The 51mm's came from the first retract version that died on flight #two. They are smaller by a bit, but the 55's might look ok because of the black paint that will be on the lower half of the nacelles.

Got a good start on the ugly little foam pilots last night but my eye's are having trouble these day carving them.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,732 Posts
id go with the 51's....they just sound awsome! even though the static thrust is probably a little less than the 55's.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:20 AM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molders
Now then Stacker, don't throw a wobbler Might do yourself an injury. If you look at the type of thread we are posting to, you will see it is a "discussion" type. In my book that means we discuss, which does not imply we have to agree. In this case it cannot be "sidetracked". Too many psychophants on this website already
As to my builds: Deep in the archives you will find pics of my E-Starter mit das floatsen on the local pond. Also deep therein pix of my BN2 in the markings of a fictitious Luftwaffe Transport unit, My Me.bf.109 complete with a 32nd. scale plastic of the same a/c [to illustrate the vast difference between RLM 02 produced by paint manufacturers] and my Me. 262 in late war colours complete with D.o.R. fuse bands.
Current project is a FW 190 "Dora", kit designed by Adrian Britton and produced by Fellside Precision Engineers. There is a lengthy build thread on the forum.

EDF30 When and how did Luft '46 get into the conversation The Me. 262 was operational and not classed as Luft '46
I also like your axiomoron...."almost nobody" Seems like a well-educated chap

Cheers

Molders
Because I felt like bringing it up. No more off-topic than kicking the crap out of excellent work. Dave and I also build Luft'46 jets, as opposed to folks who don't build much of anything interesting and different.
No kidding. Where did I say it was?
Can you give us a link so that we can all go there and be highly critical of your work?

I also like your axiomoron...."almost nobody"
Seems like a well-educated chap

Molders likes to come out of nowhere and insult people. I looked back over my post and did not see any personally insulting remarks made towards you. You are really "digging deep" here in the worst ways possible, if you are trying to redeem yourself. I doubt that you are though. There seems to have been some other motives.

Also realize that your constant rebuttles made in the form of insults is recognized as childish behavior. Adults are supposed to have more decency that that. If one has insufficient wit to maintain an arguement with integrity, then they should be wise enough to simply drop out of the discussion before they do significant damage.

Bill
EDF30 is offline Find More Posts by EDF30
Last edited by EDF30; Jun 28, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
Stacker the white 2 seat model pic you posted looks fantastic... I think you could pull that scheme off with ease on your 2 seater. cant wait to see this done and in the air!
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:15 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
68Strat,
Will give it a try. My airbrush is just a cheapo one but sometimes it works. I sure like this scheme. I think there was also one single seat nightfighter that was used for tests if anybody wanted to try it. Not sure what the paint looked like on it though.

The Germans only made a few of these nightfighters, one was given to South Africa as a war prize and is still on display in almost perfect condition, even has the drop tanks still on. The next version would have been longer to make room for the fuel that was lost when they added the second pilot. This later version would have been in production in 1946.

Cheers--Stacker
Old Jul 04, 2008, 08:38 PM
Horten Heretic
nowhere, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
195 Posts
Do you have details on how to mod the nose wheel to steer? I can't find a steerable unit anywhere.
The radar seems to be quite short, see these side views from the excellent trumpter kit.

- Arbiter -
Au_Arbiter is offline Find More Posts by Au_Arbiter
Old Jul 04, 2008, 10:35 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
Arbiter,
Her is a link to my first GWS262 showing how I moded the nose gear. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=9
I'm sorry the pictures are not so good. If you need more detail I will try to find more pictures, or take a few of this one since it is now installed.

Thanks for the pictures of the side views. Interesting how much they very from book to book, I'm thinking that nobody knows for sure how they were really painted, except for the one still in South Africa.

Cheers--Stacker
Old Jul 05, 2008, 06:36 PM
Horten Heretic
nowhere, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
195 Posts
Thanks for link.
The Germans did a lot of experimentation with camouflage so anyone could be right. They list the shades for no 10 as RLM76 light blue for the upper background. The flecks are RLM83 dark green and RLM81 brown violet with black underneath.
No 11 is the same but only one shade of fleck and these are RLM75 gray.
And another slightly different set of colours for those who are interested.

- Arbiter -
Old Jul 05, 2008, 11:45 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
Arbiter,
Super job on the model. Is #8 the one that is now in South Africa? Do you have a top view of #11? With my lack of painting skill, it looks that there will be yet another version.

I did a little more work today. Got the nose wheel installed and worked on the crew a bit. Pilot was going in a GWS mustag but has decided to fly a jet so he will have to be re-painted.

Cheers--Stacker
Last edited by stacker; Jul 05, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:58 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,732 Posts
very cool dave! are those teh 51mm nacelles? they look great! and i love those little UH wheels...very scale looking! cant believe you carve your own pilots!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 07, 2008, 01:57 PM
Near Koblenz
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au_Arbiter
The Germans did a lot of experimentation with camouflage so anyone could be right. They list the shades for no 10 as RLM76 light blue for the upper background. The flecks are RLM83 dark green and RLM81 brown violet with black underneath.
No 11 is the same but only one shade of fleck and these are RLM75 gray.
And another slightly different set of colours for those who are interested.

- Arbiter -
It was not only "experimentation" but also some shortage due to the end of the war. There was not every colour available sometime and somewhere.

There are other Me 262 2-seaters as well. With different colours off course .

Here are some:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/

Unfortunately it does not show the complete link.
So it is under "Motorflugzeuge" then "Extra Menue" and "Messerschmitt" and "Me 262".
Look at the colour photos!!

After the war several were buildt by Avia as S-92:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/alb...3994&si=Bu

I will build a 2-seater too. The kit is already here, but I messed up the fan adaptors. My motors have 3.2 mm shafts and the GWS adaptors are 3 mm. When I tried to drill with 3.2 mm, it was not centered anymore.
After 3 messed up parts I gave up.
So I have to buy some from Unitedhobbies, I think.
Anyone knows the part no.?
Or an alternative?
But I don't want to buy different motors.

Uli
G_eronimo is offline Find More Posts by G_eronimo
Old Jul 07, 2008, 03:39 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
Arbiter,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LifnRbkFg-k
I ran across this video showing the paint on #8 down in South Africa.

Uli,
Thanks for the picture link.

I've also struggled with GWS adaptors. Some of the first ones that came with the kits are bad from the start and if drilled larger just get worst. Only luck drilling has been going a few thou. under and hand working. I believe Bill posted his process better in a thread. I don't think anybody makes a 3.2 adaptor? What motors are you trying to adapt?

Cheers--Stacker
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:56 AM
Near Koblenz
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Uli,
Thanks for the picture link.

I've also struggled with GWS adaptors. Some of the first ones that came with the kits are bad from the start and if drilled larger just get worst. Only luck drilling has been going a few thou. under and hand working. I believe Bill posted his process better in a thread. I don't think anybody makes a 3.2 adaptor? What motors are you trying to adapt?

Cheers--Stacker
Stacker,

i would like to use these:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...9&pid=B1848539

They are listed under 2.0 mm shaft and the EDF 64 are mentioned to fit in the main menu, but the description itself is correct with 2.3 mm.

I saw an internetsite from someone with the same problem and he mentioned, that he ordered adaptors from unitedhobbies. Unfortunately I can't find the site again and there were no part-nos.
So I have to look for them at their site.
But as a fallback I will look for 2.0mm motors at Unitedhobbies too.

Uli
G_eronimo is offline Find More Posts by G_eronimo
Old Jul 09, 2008, 05:21 AM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
To enlarge the 2mm adapter to 2.3, I put them on the edge of a table, and roll across the table, with a 2mm drill bit. Apply slight side pressure with the drill while running it, and move the drill along the table edge, with the adapter rolling along the table surface. The idea is to slowly and evenly remove the material, which is why the method works.

On a drill press, I've done nothing but ruin about 90% of the crap I've tried to hone on it.
I've also tried 3/32" (2.38mm) bits to enlarge, but the 8 thou clearance has proven to be excessive. If you have real thin CA, you can fill the hole and quickly blow it all out, making an even coating on the inside of the adapter which is just about the amount you need to take up the 8 thou slop, but it still usually is way out of true.

Bill
EDF30 is offline Find More Posts by EDF30
Old Jul 09, 2008, 05:30 AM
Horten Heretic
nowhere, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
195 Posts
Thanks for the video I think they are the same.
I wish I could say thats mine, but its not, I can't remember where that image came from.
The Camo for both planes are the same on the wings as the fuselage with the crosses being white. Number 10 is a good one because of the two different fleck colours.
Do you have access to a lathe? Even a small one can take out the inaccuracies.

- Arbiter -