SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by chrisf testpilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:57 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Download
The official XDP guide

Ok guys I wasnt going to post this until I was finished, my transmitter batteries went dead while I was working on it. But I thought I might as well go ahead and post what I have so you guys could proof read for me and make any suggestions as to additions, deletes, edits or ideas. I didnt spend a lot of time on it so be gentle...

Version 2 uploaded.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Last edited by JimDrew; Jan 05, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2008, 10:51 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,942 Posts
Very good. You might want to add instructions on setting the channels for failsafe use.After you are done programing the receiver.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old May 14, 2008, 01:41 AM
XtremeLink South Africa
East Coast of South Africa
Joined May 2007
62 Posts
Great work chrisf

The only thing I could add, is an indication of what is good or bad i.e. the RSSI figures, frame rates etc.

I have a number of customers who have the XDP, and they phone me and give me a reading, and want to know if it is OK.
mikestark is offline Find More Posts by mikestark
Old May 14, 2008, 08:25 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Yes that is great, very helpful.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old May 14, 2008, 10:17 AM
Fly Backwards
Pittsburg KS, USA
Joined Dec 2000
810 Posts
I'm glad to see that mine isn't the only one that doesn't show the picture of the 10ch Rx in the XDP program when it's linked. Not that it's a big deal, just wondered if I was missing some files on my install.
hcopter is offline Find More Posts by hcopter
Old May 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
Dick Corby
Enumclaw, Washington
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
Nice Job!!!
altacom is offline Find More Posts by altacom
Old May 14, 2008, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Great Job!!!!
SERGERC is offline Find More Posts by SERGERC
Old May 14, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hanover Park, IL
Joined Feb 2008
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
Ok guys I wasnt going to post this until I was finished, my transmitter batteries went dead while I was working on it. But I thought I might as well go ahead and post what I have so you guys could proof read for me and make any suggestions as to additions, deletes, edits or ideas. I didnt spend a lot of time on it so be gentle...
Very nice work!

Too bad XPS does not care to make a user guide for their product available to their customers.......
xman2004 is offline Find More Posts by xman2004
Old May 14, 2008, 06:47 PM
Electric since 1990
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
JD is an experimenter who likes to figure things out so he probably thinks everyone else does too.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
I need a nap
Utah
Joined Nov 2005
68 Posts
chrisf testpilot

As an "Official XPS customer", I say you should get paid for your hard work. Go ahead and send XPS a bill for doing their Customer Support work for them. Let's say $100/page as a free-lance writer and a Support God. For 5 pages that's $500 for your hard work. Sounds fair!

I would have loved to have seen such a manual months ago. When I got my XPS equipment I had to spend way too many hours, looking on this forum for answers on how to use the XDP and 6ch receivers properly. All I got with my XPS equipment was a 1 page document on how to bind a Tx and Rx. Along with 1/2 a page with a URL to download the XDP software.

For example, in ver1.1 there was a bug when exiting the Tx Diag program. Maybe it is fixed with ver1.2. If ver1.1 was not terminated properly the process stays running on the computer and prevents it from being launched again until it is manually terminated using the Windows Task Manager. See this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817818

Thanks for the XDP Guide it has info that I did not know. Like the arrows explaining what all the graphs and numbers are is a nice touch.
TheSuper is offline Find More Posts by TheSuper
Last edited by TheSuper; May 14, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old May 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
You might want to add instructions on setting the channels for failsafe use
I was trying to stay away from things that were covered in the manual but I will add this. Would be nice to have it handy.

Quote:
The only thing I could add, is an indication of what is good or bad i.e. the RSSI figures, frame rates etc.
Only problem I see with that is different radios will have different frame rates, and some have different frame rate depending on number of channels in use. I will add a note though that this will vary based on Tx so it doesnt confuse people. As far as the RSSI goes, it changes from red to yellow to two different shades of green so that one is pretty self explanatory I think. If everyone who has an XDP could post their RSSI # with antenna on I could include an average of the high number.
Quote:
I'm glad to see that mine isn't the only one that doesn't show the picture of the 10ch Rx in the XDP program when it's linked.
I noticed when I was playing with it that some times it does and occasionally it wont. Not really sure why but everything still functioned so I didnt worry about it.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
Electric since 1990
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
I got -24dBm and 22.58s frame rate.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:58 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Thanks ChrisF for taking the time to do this and posting it for us.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old May 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
Kaneohe, HI
Joined Oct 2006
101 Posts
Great job so far - Looking forward to the finished product! I just got XDP recently and haven't done anything with it yet other than look at the spectrum analyzer.
Jinxx is offline Find More Posts by Jinxx
Old May 15, 2008, 09:25 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Final draft version is uploaded. Let me know if there is anything else you guys would like to see included.