SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2008, 03:42 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 4#3b blade balancing

Can anyone advise me how best to ensure the 4#3 rotor blades and paddlesare balanced and rotating in the right plane. My heli, after a second or two in the air, shhots backwards with a counter clockwise circular motion, so any attemets at hovering for a newcomer like me seem impossible...

Paul
roandad is offline Find More Posts by roandad
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
Joined Oct 2004
228 Posts
I was there too. The 4#3 is the frist heli i ever owned and i thought i was impossible to fly but, after a bit of practice it's super easy to fly. So, yes you can learn on this heli. Since this is a fixed pitch heli, blade tracking really can't be adjusted. You can bend the blades a bit to play around but don't worry too much about the main blade tracking. They are injection molded so they should be balanced as well. Get the fly bar paddle parallel to the rotor head to they are plain ole flat. check them after every crash to make sure they are even. Sometimes whrn you thread the paddles on the little brass weights they bend. Check to see that your paddles aren't bent up or down. next, get the battery forward in the tray and find the center of gravity for the heli. if it's moving backwards you have a tial heavy heli OR the trim on the transmitter for the forward/backward tim is off.
stevel48 is offline Find More Posts by stevel48
Old May 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
To balance the blades correctly, the best way is to mark the tip of one of the blades, and watch them spin. The blade that spins the lowest should be bent so that it has a slightly steeper pitch, and the blade that spins the highest should be bent the opposite way, lessening the pitch. I use this method on my 4#3 and the tracking is rock solid. Also the flybar paddles play a big part in the balance as well
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old May 13, 2008, 11:31 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
An easy non technical way for balancing 4#3 is firstly take off the main blades. Make sure flybar is equal in length use verniers or a small metal ruler and good eyes and paddles level. Spin up heli while holding level and between forefinger and thumb on servos. Don't spin too fast no load on motor without blades. Add small pieces of tape trial and error to one blade to reduce the vibration to a minimum. Then fit main blades and repeat on blades. Heli should be reasonably balanced in rotor head.Blade tracking as previous post. Then use two glasses and balance heli on flybar (90 degrees to boom) with paddles over rim of glasses and adjust battery or add weight till tail boom horizontal. You can also balance tail rotor by placing between glasses using something as shaft 1mm and tape till it sits level. Hope this helps
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old May 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
I also found that for blade balancing ,what works just as good as tape is a metallic paint sharpie, I use silver. The ink is heavier than regular sharpie ink, and when balancing the blades the blade looks nicer with the tip(s) painted rather than taped.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old May 14, 2008, 03:49 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
tape can be removed if you need to swap out only one blade nice idea though. I use clear vinyl tape on under side of blade so doesnt change appearance
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw