HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:45 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton
How's the weather today, Pat? It is - and has been - absolute S here!
Too right, Ade! Why does a rainy spell always start 2 minutes before a new model is ready to maiden? My newly-finished Rake EIII sits forlornly under the bed sulking... (usually I occupy that spot).

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:50 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
For us it's not the rainy spell, it's the water sprinklers! Then when they quit the wind is blowing!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:16 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,974 Posts
Weather ?

I cant tell what the weather is like here - it's too windy to venture outside! I havent flown for 3 weeks Neither have any of my models!

For Adrian - here is a sketch of the wire horn - 18 swg, 5mm upturn adj. to the inboard rib, 32mm long - notched into the inner edge of the ruddervator underside, then 10mm down at 45 deg with an eye to suit whatever pushrod arrangement used. Hardest bit was making the loop. I also made a sheet brass one from a strip found in a craft shop. Much easier to make. Take your pick.

With the underside sheeted cross-grain, the V tail assembly was glued in place relying on Ade's CAD-designed parts to get it right With the V tail, the traditional methods of checking fin and tailplane alignment are absent so I eyeballed it. Dangerous stuff with my dubious eyesight!

After connecting the pushrods, the EZ connectors were given a dob of nail-polish to ensure they didn't fall off and the tail fairing was CAed in place and everything sanded smooth. I hooked up the battery and checked ruddervator movements - all is well

Now on with the top skin. - Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:49 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,974 Posts
The curved rear fuselage was fairly easy to skin. No compound curves and some soft 1mm sheet. The little patch between the ruddervators was done first using the 'trim-until-it-fits' method.

For the curved panel, a 120mm sheet was made by edge gluing and a piece cut to length. A slot for the window frame made it possible to wrap it around the frame and mark the exact size. After cutting, the sheet was glued (med CA) to the spine and about 5mm on each former. Then each side was CAed all the way and clamped along the edge. The area around the rear window was trimmed and sanded.

Now for the sides.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:11 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Beeg Crash!

Thanks for the drawing, Pat She's all looking very pretty!

I'm not really back with it all yet. Had a 3hr op on my face, under my eye, yesterday with a skin graft taken from my shoulder.... feel like I've had a grenade thrown at me

So I'll zombie about a bit and hope I can make it to Woodsprings on Sunday..

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,974 Posts
A Little project inside a Bee-g project

As I bumble around making my new workshop, I stop and do tiny bits of the Bee. It is now all sheeted and I have to think about what finishing it will have.

The scheme I'm doing is an early one of all white upper surfaces with aluminium undersides and a red stripe seperating the two. I'll use Litespan for most of it (including the horrible 'silver' but want the fuse sides to bee a bit more 'aluminiumy' - maybe silver or chrome film.

Whatever is used, the sheet will be sanded,filled and sealed first so still a long way to go

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 22, 2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:25 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
So Bee It...

...an "Indoor Model" outside - but in - now?

Yes Pat! That original scheme will blend nicely with your new room. But if you mean the one with all those graphics on it ... I had started to try and draw the "Honey Bee" part up. I'll have another look.

I suppose I'd be wondering whether to dope and tissue the lower half of the fus, car-aerosol-spray it with some kind of ally colour and play with it. Then plop the white film on the rest and separate with red sticky.

It's a lovely build though!

Thanks for the "E". I can recieve but not send them just yet. I messed up trying to install another server! My face is healing better than my PC though!

Ade
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:02 AM
Fraser Airfoils
Orange, CA
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Adrian Britton]Been having a bit of fun while not building for a while. Walt Mooney owned this aircraft, I believe. He modelled it at 33" span free-flight for a Frog 50 diesel in the April 1953 "Aeromodeller" I'll scan the pages later, though the plan scan was already in my files. Now I thought I saw a picture with one in it in a recent FSM in a LMA show report.....

My rendition is meant to be for a little Himax at 37" span complimenting Sky's A35 Bonanza butterfly-tailed beaut!

Not much on the net, but here's a few captures....

Ade[/QUOTE]

Adrian,

A few photos were copied (captured) from my web site. The original HoneyBee S/N 001 (N90859) was owned by Walt Mooney, whom I worked with when at Rohr Industries in Chula Vista, CA. USA. The San Diego Air & Space Museum is now the legal owner and will eventually rebuild it.....it hasn't happened yet, as it is stored at the museum's restoration facility in a city east of San Diego, CA USA.

Serial No. 002 HoneyBee (NC8697R) was built from the original set of plans (that were sold early on) by Mr. Robert Guttmann in Texas, USA.
I donated a set of plans back to the Museum last year in order to help with the refurbishing of S/N 001. Suprisingly, they did not have a copy until that happened.

NOTHING WAS CHANGED ON ROBERT'S S/N 002 (NC8697R). It was built straight from the original set of plans.

Robert has since sold S/N 002 to Frank C. Smith Jr., also in Texas, USA. It has maintained the NC8697P FAA registration number.

The 3-View capture is from a page in the original set of plans, that I placed on my Website.

Richard Fraser
Fraser Aero Technology Company
http://www.fraseraerotechnologycompany.com
Richard Fraser is offline Find More Posts by Richard Fraser
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:10 AM
Fraser Airfoils
Orange, CA
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Adrian,

Sorry for the post twice. Just getting used to this sites input methods.
I just deleted the redundent #143 post above.

Would you rather be called Ade, instead of Adrian?

Richard Fraser
Last edited by Richard Fraser; Sep 09, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:11 PM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Bee-n found out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Fraser
Adrian, ....Would you rather be called Ade, instead of Adrian?

Richard Fraser
Well! I would be flattered if you called me anything but "madam" - but until I'm hopefully forgiven for half-inching pictures, maybe "Ade The Thieving B...tard" would be temporarily more appropriate!

...if I had had the good fortune to have found your fascinating website when I was sniffing things out about this lovely Bee! It was just "wikepedia", Walt's Aeromodeller article and the Museum etc that was about all I could find.

Proud to be amongst the first to welcome you here!

Not only all that, but I've spent hours and hours on a model + full-size updated project of the HM 14 in conjunction with a chap in Australia who just suddenly vanished electronically E-mail gone - website gone...

Well, maybe now....

Thank you, Richard (if I may call you that!), for materialising so magically!

Ade
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:29 PM
Fraser Airfoils
Orange, CA
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton
Well! I would be flattered if you called me anything but "madam" - but until I'm hopefully forgiven for half-inching pictures, maybe "Ade The Thieving B...tard" would be temporarily more appropriate!

...if I had had the good fortune to have found your fascinating website when I was sniffing things out about this lovely Bee! It was just "wikepedia", Walt's Aeromodeller article and the Museum etc that was about all I could find.

Proud to be amongst the first to welcome you here!

Not only all that, but I've spent hours and hours on a model + full-size updated project of the HM 14 in conjunction with a chap in Australia who just suddenly vanished electronically E-mail gone - website gone...

Well, maybe now....

Thank you, Richard (if I may call you that!), for materialising so magically!

Ade

Ade,

Glad you responed. I composed a lenghty relpy to you but the process did not go through and was lost, therefore, I will keep this one short.

I have been involved with a 1/5th scale flying project which I cannot mention much about, therefore I'll just call it Project-X.

The model effort is entering two years, which started with a completely new set of CAD model plans. That is on top of the already 3-1/2 years for the design of the full size real thing. I hope to get the model flying by the end of this year. I have all the RC gear, just waiting for the model.

I ALSO KNOW HOW THE HOURS ADD UP. I had forgotten just how much sanding is required.

I have been involved in the design of Flying Fleas for well over 10 years. My website has many interesting things to view, so take your time and if you want, you can email me from within my website through the "Contact Us" link on the left side of any page in the Website.

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful two week tour in Scotland (Edinburgh and all points north) and England (all point East and West)...one week Scotland, one week England, with relatives living in each location. We did not have time to visit Wales. That will be next time.

And, Pat........ that is a really beautiful HoneyBee model you have constructed.

Sincerely,

Richard Fraser
Fraser Aero Technology Company
http://www.fraseraerotechnologycompany.com
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,974 Posts
I'm not gone.........

Richard - thanks for the compliment. I'll bee getting back to the Honey very soon - my new workshop is almost ready to go

Ade - I've answered e-mail from you recently but no reply so assume you are still having some problems? You asked about the Potez drawings for Tony at FSM IIRC.

Here is a picture of the new establishment - small but dedicated to model building - no woodworking, household maintenance, storage of non-modelling stuff etc. 2.5 X 5.5 metres may seem small but it should work OK.

Back soon.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2008, 09:05 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,249 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one who envies you your lovely new workshop! Now, let's see some balsa dust on the floor!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Well Insulated Bee-hive!

Just the ticket! I was allowed a whole room upstairs to play in until I could create an attic workshop. It is now shared by models/modelling stuff, obsolete TV's, furniture and boxes of junk. And now I can't even get up into the attic!

It will get sorted...... I promised Mary

Dining table is scene of any action for now

Looking forward to more on the Bee. I got your mail OK, but sending them is intermittently bugged so far. I'll perservere!

Ade
Last edited by Adrian Britton; Sep 10, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: speling
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:39 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,974 Posts
That B...... Glazing

I understand Adrian - I hate having to tidy up after a spell in order to eat!

My wife is a craft/sewing person and has a spare bedroom to herself - so I created this little workshop all for myself - it'll need a fair bit of fine-tuning and so I'd better get building

The fuselage has had a coat of sanding-sealer and is ready for covering but first, that pesky glazing!
Most designers just show an arrow on the plan with some obscure comment like 'acetate rear screen' etc Fortunately the front and rear screen shapes on this one can be formed from flat clear sheet and glued in place. I made the shape directly onto thin sheet for the front and made a card template for the rear. There'll bee a shallow groove in the balsa skin to locate them later. Both windows could be created using either method. Using the clear sheet directly allows you to see how it is fitting easier The card template makes for less swearing when the clear sheet didn't fit after cutting

The side windows were meant to be framed by a rather fragile piece of 1/32 balsa with, presumably a thin clear backing. Since my laser parts were damaged in transit, I'll change the method (sorry Ade) and make the whole side window/frame from thicker acetate and paint the frame after masking. The front and rear screens need some masking/paint anyway so it can all be done in one go.

The cockpit interior framing has to be painted white before anything else so that will be the next small task.

Pat (glad to be back makin' stuff)
RCG Plus Member