Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 13, 2008, 01:55 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Discussion
Honey Bee - "The World's Sweetest Plane"

Been having a bit of fun while not building for a while. Walt Mooney owned this aircraft, I believe. He modelled it at 33" span free-flight for a Frog 50 diesel in the April 1953 "Aeromodeller" I'll scan the pages later, though the plan scan was already in my files. Now I thought I saw a picture with one in it in a recent FSM in a LMA show report.....

My rendition is meant to be for a little Himax at 37" span complimenting Sky's A35 Bonanza butterfly-tailed beaut!

Not much on the net, but here's a few captures....

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
There used to be a real one flying out of Lake Elsinore gliderport in the 60's, very cute.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 13, 2008, 11:51 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Adrian
I'n not sure the scale airfoil will be very good at our chord. Maybe thin it a little?
11% CLark Y?

Regards

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old May 14, 2008, 03:23 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
I like 'em thick!

You're probably right, Gordon. Though I think it would be a matter of keeping the weight & power down and thus the flying speed. I remember one, built from the Aeromodeller plans with a little Allbon "Dart" 0.5 cc diesel, flying very sweetly on Epsom Downs when I was a boy...

I think there were only ever two examples flying. Perhaps the one you refer to, E would be the one in the pic?

Anyway here's the rest of the stuff I have.

Got a lot of jobs to do before I indulge in building this one. Anyone around San Diego fancy visiting the Museum......

Ade
Old May 14, 2008, 04:34 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Might be readable!

Here's that text....

Ade
Old May 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Adrian
Very hard to find much on the web. I take it you have also seen
http://www.fraseraerotechnologycompa...ssociates.html

Regards

Gordon
Old May 15, 2008, 04:31 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Seen it....

Yes thanks, that's the one I got the 3 view and some pics from.

I'm preparing a cutting file for Charlie....

Ade
Old May 15, 2008, 06:43 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Cutie

There was a picture of a larger model in May 08 RCM&E. Sorry, don't remember any of the details except purple-ish in color, so it wasn't any of those you've posted.

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Walt Mooney also did a P-nut scale model of this plane. Being teh designer of the original, I'm sure the model plan was accurate. He may have also done a gas model for Model Airplane News or Flying Models. I believe the rubber-powered model may have been one of his "double" plans, which was actually for a 26" model for rubber or CO2 power and printed half size in the magazine as a 13" P-nut model.

In any event, I believe ithe rubber-powered model was in Model Builder, so it is probably in Bill Northrop's collection. The Honeybee was based in San Diego, so probably was seen at Lake Elsinore when it was in operation and most likely does now reside at the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Walt's planes always had really good flying characteristics, so I am sure that your larger electric-powered model will be a real "Honey" of a flyer as well.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Big Jump Ahead!

Well Pete, I'm very grateful that an E-Zone celebrity, and absolutely brilliant modeller, has bravely offered to risk his so far excellent reputation to build this little honey ....perhaps even get it to fly

If it all comes true, then the plans may, once again, appear in FSM whose publishers still produce a version of "Aeromodeller" within their sister magazine, Aviation Modeller International. It may also become a Manzano kit

As some of you may already be aware, I'm into tributes to revered designers in the history of this Hobby. This one is to Walter Mooney of course.

So..... I'll get on with it then

Ade
Old May 28, 2008, 01:41 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,657 Posts
"Well Pete, I'm very grateful that an E-Zone celebrity, and absolutely brilliant modeller, has bravely offered to risk his so far excellent reputation to build this little honey ....perhaps even get it to fly"

Aparently the person mentioned by Adrian has been unable to do the build for him so I've offered and he foolishly accepted!

All I need now are some bits-n-bobs from Manzano and a start will be made - I suppose I'd better clean up the workshop

Pat (About to become Brittish instead of Rakish)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old May 28, 2008, 06:32 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Stay as Sweet as You Are....

....and Rakish

Good thing you don't want to know what you're getting into

Just finished the files and sent them to Charlie. Been going since 5.00am!

later,

Ade
Old May 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Ade
What porky pies you tell saying it was going to be ages and ages before you'd get back to the HB!
Now I'm in a dilemma....do I carry on with my scribblings (and lots of rubbing out) or wait for maltone to saunter through a build at a leisurely pace making me green with envy?
Regards

Gordon
Old May 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,785 Posts
It is a cute little bugger, aint it?
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old May 29, 2008, 02:12 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Oh! Do get on with it 007!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW
Ade
What porky pies you tell saying it was going to be ages and ages before you'd get back to the HB!
Now I'm in a dilemma....do I carry on with my scribblings (and lots of rubbing out) or wait for maltone to saunter through a build at a leisurely pace making me green with envy?
Regards

Gordon
No envy - No rubbing out - No dilemnas - No s...t! You would probably produce a really nice light version more like a Rakeship.

Mine aren't all that heavy, but I know they do tend to be a little more complicated. I even get wound up trying to build them myself (when I do....)

Let's all see what you're doing. Here would be nice...

I really was shelving it to get on with the Cessna and Piper Super Cruiser for kits and FSM submission, but I suddenly felt this tickle and jumped on it ( )

Now I've gone and bought this ARTF Sopwith Camel - I think it looks too difficult

Ade