SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:36 AM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Phoenix, AZ Flying Sites - Unofficial and Official

Over the past several months, I have scoured Ezone and toured the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, Arizona) area, visiting various R/C flying locations. I have collected the following list of flying sites, both unofficial and official (AMA membership required). Included are directions for finding the darn places! I am sure that many Phoenix area Ezoners could add to or improve upon this list, so update this thread with your info and I’ll try to keep the list current.

Unofficial E-Flying Sites in Phoenix, Arizona (East Valley only listed)

NOTE: Please exercise caution at all flying locations. I personally have witnessed people flying their airplanes over city streets and at times when it would be possible for their plane to be blown onto a freeway. Beginners, take note, you especially need a large (and open/safe) field to fly in. It won’t take many complaints for us to be kicked out of all of these unofficial flying locations which would be a shame and a serious inconvenience. Please use good sense in flying! Check frequencies!

- Pecos Farm: One Ezoner noted flying over a farm on Pecos and Higley in Gilbert.

- D&D Hobbies: There is an informal electric fly-in at D&D Hobbies every Thursday afternoon about 4 pm till dark. Also Sundays at 10:00 am. D&D is on the southwest corner of Main and 63rd in Mesa (that's between Higley and Power).

- Alfalfa field: One Ezoner mentioned: “We fly very informally at an alfalfa field at the far deep SW corner of Baseline Rd. and Mesa Dr. on Sunday nights.”

- Brown Road Hill: Located in Mesa, AZ on the NW corner of the intersection of Ellsworth and Brown Road. Go West from Ellsworth on Brown Rd. about 1/4 mile and look for the dirt path up the hill. Slope soaring skills required! The Ezone source noted: “You may have to walk up to the top. We don't know who owns this site but it is private. Please respect the area and don't leave broken plane parts on the hill. “

- Lindsey/Brown Park?: One Ezoner mentioned: “We have been told by Mesa Park officials that we are not welcome at any of the parks except the one at Lindsey and Brown Rd.”

- The Chandler Bowl: Off of the I-101 axis road (East Side), N of Chandler Blvd and S of Ray Rd. 4-soccer sized fields. Nice 20’ slope on all sides, giving the location a bowl-like shape.

Some of the Official Club Sites in Phoenix, Arizona

- Arizona Model Aviators (AMA) - Superstition Air Park, in Usery Park, asphalt runway/desert. Follow I-60 east to Signal Butte Road, exit 193. Take Signal Butte Road north to Brown Rd. Go east one mile to Meridian. Take Meridian north for 1/2 mile, cross the floodway, and immediately turn left onto the dirt access road to the Air Park.

- Central Arizona Soaring League (CASL) - Rodeo Park, dirt runway/oiled dirt parking lot. CASL field - southeast corner of Ray road and Val Vista. From I-60 go south on Val Vista to Ray Road and continue south about ¼ mile past Ray Rd. to the Rodeo grounds on the left. Turn east into rodeo grounds parking lot and continue driving east toward the canal embankment. There is a dirt access road entrance at the right near the canal. There are people there almost any weekend. One Ezone source noted: “On Saturdays – Electrics only and on Sundays, High Start Gliders take the field.”

- Arizona Model Pilots Society (AMPS) - Adobe Mountain Park, asphalt runway. Take 101 N to I-17, Turn N to Pinnacle Peak Rd., go west over 1 mile on W Pinnacle Peak Rd. to N. 43rd Ave., turn south on N. 43rd Ave to the end of road. Look to your left as you go south.

- East Valley Aviators (EVA) – Superstition Field. I haven’t visited this site but the web site for EVA indicates that this field is 3.25 miles south of Baseline off of Ironwood. Take I-60 East to Ironwood and turn south. Go past Baseline 3.25 miles and look to your left.

- Sun Valley Flyers (SVF) – Cave Buttes Park, asphalt runway. Go north and west on 101 to Cave Creek Road, go north on Cave Creek Rd. for several miles and cross the earthen dam, shortly thereafter turn left (west) at Jomax Road. After turning off the main highway, turn left immediately onto the dirt access road and follow it for about a quarter of a mile. Turn right and go through the gate to the armadas.

Happy Flying All.
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Jan 17, 2003 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2003, 07:19 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
Re: Phoenix, AZ Flying Sites - Unofficial and Official

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Astro
- The Chandler Bowl: Off of the I-101 axis road (East Side), N of Chandler Blvd and S of Ray Rd. 4-soccer sized fields. Nice 20’ slope on all sides, giving the location a bowl-like shape.
Thanks for putting together such a great list. Here is one comment and one addition.

The Chandler Bowl could fit nearly 8 soccer fields, except it is divided into 4 equal sections by approximately 1' high by 3' wide dirt berms. There is a soccer field set up in one, a baseball field with trees well past the outfield in another, and two sections that are mostly just flat grass. When it rains (that would be about twice a year!), stay away, as it is where the runoff from the freeway goes (specifically the underpasses at Ray and Chandler).

Another field I like, and usually see other flyers, is the Tempe Athletic Field. It is on Hardy just north of Warner. There are many sport fields there, and usually at least a couple are open. The largest open area is about 2 soccer fields in size, all flat grass, surrounded by an asphault parking lot. That's where I head when the Bowl is not safe to fly (frequent sport teams practice there).

-- Alan
Fly is online now Find More Posts by Fly
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:09 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Re: Phoenix, AZ Flying Sites - Unofficial and Official

I have added some comments below in red. Thanks for the update.

Dave Wenzlick

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Astro
Over the past several months, I have scoured Ezone and toured the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, Arizona) area, visiting various R/C flying locations. I have collected the following list of flying sites, both unofficial and official (AMA membership required). Included are directions for finding the darn places! I am sure that many Phoenix area Ezoners could add to or improve upon this list, so update this thread with your info and I’ll try to keep the list current.

Unofficial E-Flying Sites in Phoenix, Arizona (East Valley only listed)

NOTE: Please exercise caution at all flying locations. I personally have witnessed people flying their airplanes over city streets and at times when it would be possible for their plane to be blown onto a freeway. Beginners, take note, you especially need a large (and open/safe) field to fly in. It won’t take many complaints for us to be kicked out of all of these unofficial flying locations which would be a shame and a serious inconvenience. Please use good sense in flying! Check frequencies!

- Pecos Farm: One Ezoner noted flying over a farm on Pecos and Higley in Gilbert.

- D&D Hobbies: There is an informal electric fly-in at D&D Hobbies every Thursday afternoon about 4 pm till dark. Also Sundays at 10:00 am. D&D is on the southwest corner of Main and 63rd in Mesa (that's between Higley and Power).

- Alfalfa field: One Ezoner mentioned: “We fly very informally at an alfalfa field at the far deep SW corner of Baseline Rd. and Mesa Dr. on Sunday nights.”My favorite Sunday evening place to fly and watch the sunset.

- Brown Road Hill: Located in Mesa, AZ on the NW corner of the intersection of Ellsworth and Brown Road. Go West from Ellsworth on Brown Rd. about 1/4 mile and look for the dirt path up the hill. Slope soaring skills required! The Ezone source noted: “You may have to walk up to the top. We don't know who owns this site but it is private. Please respect the area and don't leave broken plane parts on the hill. “

- Lindsey/Brown Park?: One Ezoner mentioned: “We have been told by Mesa Park officials that we are not welcome at any of the parks except the one at Lindsey and Brown Rd.” This is true. (over 100 big and small city parks) and only officially allowed to fly at ONE!

- The Chandler Bowl: Off of the I-101 axis road (East Side), N of Chandler Blvd and S of Ray Rd. 4-soccer sized fields. Nice 20’ slope on all sides, giving the location a bowl-like shape. Be careful. This site is full of newbies who sometimes launch without checking channels. (I know...they are excited to go fly) Watch for them on the east side of the park. This is a favorite lunchtime flying site for Hacker Brushless testing Team.

Some of the Official Club Sites in Phoenix, Arizona

- Arizona Model Aviators (AMA) - Superstition Air Park, in Usery Park, asphalt runway/desert. Follow I-60 east to Signal Butte Road, exit 193. Take Signal Butte Road north to Brown Rd. Go east one mile to Meridian. Take Meridian north for 1/2 mile, cross the floodway, and immediately turn left onto the dirt access road to the Air Park. ($8 daily guest fee to fly.)

- Central Arizona Soaring League (CASL) - Rodeo Park, dirt runway/oiled dirt parking lot. CASL field - southeast corner of Ray road and Val Vista. From I-60 go south on Val Vista to Ray Road and continue south about ¼ mile past Ray Rd. to the Rodeo grounds on the left. Turn east into rodeo grounds parking lot and continue driving east toward the canal embankment. There is a dirt access road entrance at the right near the canal. There are people there almost any weekend. One Ezone source noted: “On Saturdays – Electrics only and on Sundays, High Start Gliders take the field.” Not True. It's open to either electric or gliders anytime except during an organized contest when the official event has priority. Early Saturday morning is the best time to fly electrics with the usual gang there.

- Arizona Model Pilots Society (AMPS) - Adobe Mountain Park, asphalt runway. Take 101 N to I-17, Turn N to Pinnacle Peak Rd., go west over 1 mile on W Pinnacle Peak Rd. to N. 43rd Ave., turn south on N. 43rd Ave to the end of road. Look to your left as you go south.Great runway with lots of room.

- East Valley Aviators (EVA) – Superstition Field. I haven’t visited this site but the web site for EVA indicates that this field is 3.25 miles south of Baseline off of Ironwood. Take I-60 East to Ironwood and turn south. Go past Baseline 3.25 miles and look to your left.Friendly gang with a dirt runway last time I was there.

- Sun Valley Flyers (SVF) – Cave Buttes Park, asphalt runway. Go north and west on 101 to Cave Creek Road, go north on Cave Creek Rd. for several miles and cross the earthen dam, shortly thereafter turn left (west) at Jomax Road. After turning off the main highway, turn left immediately onto the dirt access road and follow it for about a quarter of a mile. Turn right and go through the gate to the armadas. Another great site. $10 daily guest fee to fly hurts a little though.

Happy Flying All.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Last edited by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft; Jan 18, 2003 at 06:55 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:59 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Dave Wenzlick: Thanks for the insightful comments. I have excised the citations for Holmes Park and Schnepf farms. If you delete them from your post too then we'll have tidied up that issue and helped to avoid a possible problem.

Alan: Thanks for mentioning the Tempe Athletic Field. I've flown there before and it's a nice big place but there are some pretty big light poles over there, heh heh.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:52 AM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
What's up with all the "guest fees"? Every club I've ever been a part of welcomed guest flyers with open (and free) arms. Is the the beginning of a disturbing new trend or just an Phoenix thing?

Steven
Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jan 18, 2003, 07:05 AM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
guest fees?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven D
What's up with all the "guest fees"? Every club I've ever been a part of welcomed guest flyers with open (and free) arms. Is the the beginning of a disturbing new trend or just an Phoenix thing?

Steven
Part of the fees go to the club which has been standard at the larger clubs. It helps offset their operating costs when its time to resurface the runway etc. More recently, the Parks and Rec. Dept. had begun to require daily use fees just like many public or state parks. Members must purchase a yearly parking pass from the Parks and Rec. Dpt and display it in their vehicles. At AMA in Mesa $5 goes to the club and $3 goes to the Parks Dept. It also helps slow down the crowds from excess visitors. Some of these clubs have over several hundred members and this time of year they all show up to fly. (Today's forcast Jan 18th - Light winds and mid 70's)

Dave W.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jan 18, 2003, 07:13 AM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
I can see the park fees, but the clubs charging guests to fly is very distrubing to me. Seems a shame that the clubs want to profit from guests...

Steven
Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jan 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
I'm assuming the park in Rancho Del Mar (Guadalupe and Country Club) is also excluded from the "welcomed" flying sites. I'll have to check this. If that's so, that sucks, cause I live right down Cherry. I don't know why it would be any different from flying the many F/F models I fly there. Nobody has ever complained. But I guess I'd better double check. Also, a friend of mine flies at our high school, Dobson High. However, I'm sure it helps immensely if you attend the school (), or you have a child that does. I may also have permission to use our gym, provided it is scheduled. I'm a while off from being able to use the gym, I think, but I'll get there soon.

Nick
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Feb 02, 2003, 11:01 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
36 Posts
How about the west side?

Thanks for posting the great list!

I'm just getting started (5 flights on my Slow Stick) out here in Glendale and was wondering who else flies in the West Valley? I'm flying at the school where I teach (Apollo HS) for now, and I have a small park across the street from my house for when I get better.

I saw a plane in the air over a large lot on the SW corner of Northern and 63rd Ave the other day, but don't know if it was e-flight or a slimer. I frequently see a couple of guys flying their slimers over some farmland off of 61st Ave a few blocks north of Northern.

Any other West Side EZoners out there?

Tim
othy is offline Find More Posts by othy
Old Feb 11, 2003, 04:19 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I was the one that mentioned I fly over a Farm Field Near Pecos, and Higley. This is my own Secluded spot and I don't want to share. Im just Kidding. Living in the far out skirts of Gilbert I just pick an open Farm field and Start flying. I never been kicked out of a field from some disgrunted farmer. Saturdays and Sundays I fly at CASL. This is an AMA club that has lots of flying room and frequency control which is a plus. You can't beat $20.00 a year for a good flying site.

EVA Flying field is a Big Gasser not really Electric friendly Club. I was a member there for 2 1/2 years. I dumped my membership to that club when I went Electric only flying. The best decision in my R/C flying career. Also Eva is at max of 250 members. You have to get on a waiting list to join That Club.

If Gilbert ever gets so Populated that Im having trouble finding places to fly Im going to move to a less populated location.

I stopped by D & D flying location last Sunday and was a little
Disappointed. You all are flying over Light Poles and not much room for what I fly. I guess my Crazy Max should be ok to fly there. I love doing High and low speed passes and at D & D thats not possible.

The Turn off for me at Chandler bowl was People turning on their Radios with out communication with each other. I was hoping to fly there after work, but the sun looks like to be a problem. Maybe its just me. Oh Well back to my lonely farm flying.

This Park Flying or Electric flying is getting real big in Arizona. I wish some of use would get together and form our own club. Lease some land and not worry about the Park Police.

Thanks for Listening.

David Yerby
Gilbert, AZ
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Feb 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
"This Park Flying or Electric flying is getting real big in Arizona. I wish some of use would get together and form our own club. Lease some land and not worry about the Park Police."

You could count me in.

I really really like Nicholas park in Gilbert. But like you I dont like sharing... actually I cant wait for some people to start showing up there. Saturday is soccer day till early noon but from then on through sunday,it's all mine.
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Feb 11, 2003, 08:40 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
I've flown in our neighborhood park MANY times (and at highly noticable altitudes) without any problems from local authorities. I also fly right off of my street, although that can get a little hariy sometimes, and I only do that with Qualcomms. I also fly at my High School, although it's been windy every day I've taken the plane to school.

D&D is OK, but being a little new to this hobby (despite how good I THINK I am, I have a lot of learning to do, and I still need to hone my depth perception skills), I too am a little worried about those lightpoles. I've only flown there once (it was windy, and I flew with the wind, which negated my control imputed, bringing my flight to an ubrupt stop). However, once you clear the light poles, it's OK.

Nick
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:28 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Fly4Fun: I think the CASL deserves a plug and a pat-on-the-back. At $20, I certainly agree that joining CASL is a no-brainer for e-flyers who live out near Val Vista and Ray. Every time I've visited there I've enjoyed the comraderie of the folks and the casual atmosphere. Definitely a must visit for new e-flyers on Sat or Sun mornings!

Ripnburn: How many soccer fields are there at Nicholas park?

KnifeEdge: I visited D&D hobbies on a Sat morning. Definitely not a beginner's park! And since I recently had a head-on encounter with a light pole about 100 yards away, at a different site, I can sympathize with your comments!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 04:42 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Its hard to say how many soccer fields the park is because there all kid teams but theres about 6 games going on usually.
I found this pretty good link which shows it at 32 acres.

http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/0902trails.htm

Its letter P on the map..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Feb 12, 2003, 08:30 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
ripnburn Nicholas Park was just built wasn't it? Or is that Nicholas water park? Not sure I have to check it out.

Hear comes the Rain today. No flying for me, so I guess I will work on my F-22 project.

Your guys that live in the Phoenix Area where can I fly during my Lunch break? I work on Northern just 1 mile West of the 51 Free Way. Any Where near by thats no further than 15 minute drive. As if flying after work and weekends isn't enough for me. Now I want to fly during Lunch. Its and Addiction for sure.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun