SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Ouch, too bad about the leaky camera bag, Nate. I've seen underwater camera bags on eBay for about $30 bucks, and wondered whether it would be a good idea to use them as a safety measure if I ever shoot AP while water flying.

But I'm glad you got one last video before the camera drowned. I look forward to seeing it.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:35 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,639 Posts
Nate, what were you thinking!?

Underwater camera housings like dental work are best left out of the hands of the DIY'er
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
Nate, what were you thinking!?

Underwater camera housings like dental work are best left out of the hands of the DIY'er
Also, DIY tracheotomies should only be done in an emergency:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Allergi...ory?id=4888600
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Chickenhawk, I was looking at your website and saw this awesome Slow Stick pic. Is this your plane? If so, I'd love to get the details of how you attached the tow line and whether you had to weight down the flag and what your procedures were for launching and landing.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:40 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Hey Darth,
I think my wife took that picture last year or maybe the year before around the 4th of July, I was feeling patriotic. I pulled the same flag around in Bountiful just before the fireworks last year. The flag is from walmart and if I remember right I cut the stick just below the bottom of the flag and took the sharp pointy plastic thing off the top. I used a few washers at the bottom for weight to keep it right side up. I try to keep the flag off the ground on takeoffs and landings but the best I can do is lay it out some cardboard. The plane is a slow stick and gets off the ground in less than 5 feet. You will need to be careful if any wind is blowing. The flag causes a lot of resistance and takes more power than normal flight. For landings and emergencies I thought it would be nice to have a release for the flag but never did one. I just land and pick it up as fast as possible but with a release you could fly by and catch the flag. The whole idea started because I wanted to pull a sign to advertise for my business. All the signs that I tried failed and almost cost me a couple of planes but the flag works really well.
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
That's awesome, chickhawk. I'm going to try that this year. How did you attach the line to the plane without interfering with the movement of tail feathers?

Nate, do you want to fly Ensign peak tomorrow at noon?
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; Jun 24, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:30 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I just tied it to where the tail wheel plugs into the fuse.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Nate, great flying with you today at Ensign Peak. I had my wind meter with me the whole time but didn't think about it until we got back down to the cars. My guess is that those gusts were at least 20-25 mph. It didn't feel as strong as the time we sloped in South Weber, but the wind was still a handful, especially in those lower spots where it was really swirly.

Good news on my camera, I was able to pop the extending lens cover back in place and it seems to be working fine.

Here's a 3 minute video of some highlights of the flight, including some air-to-air shots of your combat wing and some passes over the monument. Right at the end of the video, you see it come in for a landing and suddenly go black. That's the point of impact. I'm lucky it survived. I guess I need to redesign my pod to protect my plane more or at least make a foam cylinder to protect the lens.

Windy AP at Ensign Peak (3 min 28 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:06 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Very cool cliff thanks for sharing the pics and vid so quickly. Great news that your camera still works!! Do you want to take a look at fixing my camera?

Winds and steep cliffs were a bit scary but otherwise a great view and fun flying! After flying for a few minutes and getting the feel for the wind it was very enjoyable.
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. Winds like that would have broken my slow stick AP in half.

The problem I see with the wing for AP is having the camera so vulnerable to ground impact on landing (not that my camera isnít located on the bottom of my SS but you know what I mean). The way I had my camera setup on my modified zagi would have been prone to damage even on the slightest of uneven surfaces. I was trying to think of a way to put some skids or wheels on the bottom to keep the camera a little further off the ground without compensating low wing loading and the aerodynamics of the wing. I never ended up doing anything since my zagi seems to be unstable for some reason.

I have always thought that electric helicopters would make the best AP platforms (for low level still shots). I had a Trex 450 that I tried and was somewhat successful with but unfortunately I fly full scale better than model when it comes to helicopters. I had several crashes and I also realized that a heavily loaded 450 flying at 4,500 hundred feet with a DA of 6,000 feet doesnít do to well. Going straight up its ok but coming straight back down was another story. It didnít seem to matter how slowly I came down the thing would almost always get into settling with power/main rotor vortex ring state. Well with all that said, Iím trying again. I have a Belt CP that Iím trying to set up for AP. To help me fly I bought the AP2000i. I did my first test flight yesterday and unfortunately it didnít help my flying. As a matter a fact I think it made it worse. I almost crashed the thing from a hover twice. Iíll be checking to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and also check the programming before my next attempt. Wish me luck.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Yes, helicopters rock for AP. I've seen a few panoramic shots lately that blew me away. The can sit in one spot and shoot literally every angle. Not just 360 degrees around a horizontal axis, but every angle in a complete sphere, to produce a total immersion 3D panorama. Awesome stuff. I'll see if I can find a couple links and post them. Someday, maybe I'll get into helicopters.

I agree about the vulnerability of an AP wing. I re-angled my camera mount in the pod last night to hold the camera up higher. Of course, that makes it even more vulnerable for an inverted landing but I figured my lens will never be pointed up above level, it will be between straight down and slightly below level, and all those angles are now better protected with this new setup. I was also going to attach a cylindrical lens protector around the lens, but I couldn't settle on a design, so I'll do some more research before I tackle that.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Here's one of those spherical panoramas I was talking about. Thsi one's an awesome pano taken at Slickrock Trail in Moab. It may take a minute to load the pano (it's quicktime), but once you pan around in it a couple times, all the images load and you can pan around seemlessly.

http://www.aerialpan.com/portfolio/aerial_popup/48
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
Darth,

Have you looked at any downlink systems yet? I was following the same threads you had with the slinger and center pod and thought it was a great idea too.

Nice video from Ensign a couple of weeks ago. Were you sloping it or was the motor on most of the flight? what motor did you go with?
seerspaz is offline Find More Posts by seerspaz
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Hi Seerspaz, I am using a Towerpro 2409-12, which I borrowed off my 48-inch Pinata Max combat wing. I just used it because I had it on hand. But for long term, I decided to order one of these from UH, an Axi 2808 equivalent for 1/3 the price: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2141. I'm running a lower KV version of that motor in my Katana Mini and it's working really well.

I'm glad you liked the video of Ensign. I've since filmed there two more times, I just need to go through the footage to see if there's anything worth posting. It wasn't as windy on these last two times, so I flew right off the peak. That was fun. I think I got a couple good passes of the monument at the top, so I'll have to post one of them if they turned out. On the date that Nate and flew, I was sloping with partial throttle most of the time when I was flying upwind and then went WOT on the downwind passes. Every once in awhile I punched fulled throttle upwind, just for the heck of it to see how fast it would climb.

The 2409-12 gets hot, especially in this warmer weather, so I wouldn't recommend it for packing up the extra weight of a camera. Are you thinking of putting together a Slinger? If you work close to downtown you should come fly Ensign with us sometime.

I picked up an el cheapo 2.4Ghz downlink system off eBay for $88 bucks. I've been getting a ton of interference from my Spektrum so I may switch back to 72mHz just for FPV, although I've been on Spektrum so long I'm afraid of getting shot down. I wish I'd known about the possible interference and I probably would have looked into 900mHz downlinks. Have you got a downlink?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
No, I don't have a downlink currently. I run on 72mhz still so the 2.4 wouldn't be a problem. I have been looking at the blackwidow systems but have a hard time justifying the cost. I liked the Slinger idea because of the cheap cores and easy to modify. I was thinking of trying to cut a center section that still had the airfoil shape and trying to keep the camera behind the nose instead of leading with it. Still forming the complete plan though.

I live east of Park City in Oakley and try to stay out of the heat of the valley as much as possible unless the wind is blowing and I can slope at the Point of the Mountain. I fly in the Uintas a bunch during the summer and fly a bit of everything from my Slowstick with Aiptech POS camera, Estarter, bunch of different slopers from 60" to 3meter, a semi hotliner, Gentle Lady for easy thermal, DLG and foam 3D trainer. Wow, typing that I guess I have got it the disease bad!!! LOL.

Some combat with you guys sounds like fun! I think I have extra recievers and servos, would just need some batteries, esc and motors. I sent Lee a PM asking him about the Pinata cores already.
seerspaz is offline Find More Posts by seerspaz