HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,085 Posts
I think that may have been my problem. I was in a really tight canyon and I'm using a yagi I want to say it's an 8dBi and inverted V antenna on the plane. I just found out that circular would have been better to prevent multipathing. I thought it was strange that as I would fly further away and above the canyon walls my signal would clear up.

I think I'm going to go with one of these and get some circular antennas to go along with it.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=823

What do you think?

What camera are you guys using. I have a Pixim but I'm not having much luck with it.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
crosshair is the latest and greatest.

If you are interrested in my advice.

I use the Skewed planar wheel on the transmitter side, and I raise it above the fuselage about 9".

That configuration resists multipathing better than any other configuration that I have tried.

Then for an omni

The stack fan / or skewed planar wheel is a good antenna.
I built a (skewed planar wheel / fan stack) that I am really liking, but I can't strike hugo's interrest in it.

Then for high gain directional

the crosshair is an excellent choice (from what I have read)
I'm still stuck in the helical era

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
I think that may have been my problem. I was in a really tight canyon and I'm using a yagi I want to say it's an 8dBi and inverted V antenna on the plane. I just found out that circular would have been better to prevent multipathing. I thought it was strange that as I would fly further away and above the canyon walls my signal would clear up.

I think I'm going to go with one of these and get some circular antennas to go along with it.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=823

What do you think?

What camera are you guys using. I have a Pixim but I'm not having much luck with it.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
I'm stuck in the helical era and will stay. I've tried the crosshairs and they're good too. I really like a 3 or 5 turn helical for the benefit of the beam width. My personal preference is a cloverleaf on the airplane and a 7.5dbic helical on the ground. This gives you a 145 degree beam to play in. Look what I just had custom made...3 turn on 1.3GHz. I can't wait to fly with it!
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,085 Posts
Decisions decisions. What kind of range are you getting on a 7.5dbic and what does the "c" mean.

You tried a crosshair and what don't you like? Too directional?

Who custom makes antennas and what do they cost if I want one?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Decisions decisions. What kind of range are you getting on a 7.5dbic and what does the "c" mean.

You tried a crosshair and what don't you like? Too directional?

Who custom makes antennas and what do they cost if I want one?

Sorry for all the questions.
The combo of the cloverleaf/ 7.5dBic helical gives me plenty of range for almost everything that I fly. Lets put it this way, I'm more concerned about my flight battery's getting me home than the range. I'm not really sure of the max range but have no problem out 2-3 miles and I'm not restricted to a narrow beam path.

The "c" in dBic is a reference to circularly polarized. It's the "forward gain of an antenna compared to a circularly polarized isotropic antenna". Directional antennas only use the dBi reference.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the crosshairs. They actually provide a better punch when it comes to trees and other obstacles than a helical. They generally handle multi-pathing better. I like them better on a quad that flies close to the ground.

It's like anything else, it really comes down to preference and what you're trying to do.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
By the way, I have a brand new, never used RMRC 1.3Ghz 3 turn 7.5dBic helical for sale if anyone wants it. I'll charge what RMRC charged me and save you the freight and time to get it to Utah. I think it was $69.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:48 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Do you guys use an antenna tracker with your helicals or crosshair?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
What caused the crash? looked like it was flying fine until then.

Im flying on 2.4 ghz for radio, and when I dove down that hill, it was directly behind me and lost complete control from the receiver.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Fly low and take chances!

Antelope Island FPV Flight part 2 (4 min 53 sec)
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Ryan,

There are a couple of things that could cause decreased range.

First off, I should state that I am very satisfied with CP antennas,

but lets put that aside.

reasons for decreased range

1) you have damaged the antenna and the angles are not quite right

2) you are getting a short circuit between the driven and the ground poritons of your antenna. This could be a single wire crossing over and touching a portion of the sma connector, or elements that it does not belong too...

3) You have a poor connection at a sma pin (I experienced this once, and now I solder the pins), or a poor solder joint which is causing too much resistance.

4) you have changed something in your setup, and now you have some sort of physical impediment, or RF interferance in your system.

5) your flying habits have changed, and now you are flying lower, and behind objects, which does not bode well with LP

*I have some antennas that you can have.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
No tracker for me.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Ryan,

There are a couple of things that could cause decreased range.

First off, I should state that I am very satisfied with CP antennas,

but lets put that aside.

reasons for decreased range

1) you have damaged the antenna and the angles are not quite right

2) you are getting a short circuit between the driven and the ground poritons of your antenna. This could be a single wire crossing over and touching a portion of the sma connector, or elements that it does not belong too...

3) You have a poor connection at a sma pin (I experienced this once, and now I solder the pins), or a poor solder joint which is causing too much resistance.

4) you have changed something in your setup, and now you have some sort of physical impediment, or RF interferance in your system.

5) your flying habits have changed, and now you are flying lower, and behind objects, which does not bode well with LP

*I have some antennas that you can have.
I think I'm going to switch from LP to CP on my quad and reaperxl and see how that goes. My flying habits have changed now that I have a capable plane. I don't get the rush like I used to just having a plane in the air. Now I have to be close to the ground or other objects to get the same thrill.

What kind of antennas are you willing to give away? I defiantly would like to try them.

Here is still from a flight I had yesterday of the Little Grand Canyon.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I've got a SPW, fan stack, and helical that you can have.

*that place is amazing...

Quote:
I think I'm going to switch from LP to CP on my quad and reaperxl and see how that goes. My flying habits have changed now that I have a capable plane. I don't get the rush like I used to just having a plane in the air. Now I have to be close to the ground or other objects to get the same thrill.

What kind of antennas are you willing to give away? I defiantly would like to try them.

Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Ah man Ryan....that is an AMAZING area. I was going to ask if anyone had flown down there, but didn't want to give it away if no one had. There is a slew cool places down there.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli