HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
Ryan,

I fly off of the basin parking lot, which on Saturdays is usually open (a gate is present on the strip that goes down to it). I fly at the Y way more often: I set up from the lower gravel parking lot, launch from a slight embankment, and land on a gravel section just off of that.

-Steve
KatanaGuy is online now Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
I've flown from there before Steve. That's not a good place to fly Rock Canyon from, but it's a great place to fly Y Mountain and Y Summit Trail Canyon.

Rock Canyon is the next canyon north.

You can't get a very good angle on Rock Canyon flying from any of the parking lots. At least I didn't think it was possible the one time I flew there. I found a nice spot up on the south hill, right on Bonneville Shoreline Trail. It requires hoofing in with your gear a little ways. You get a good angle on the cliffs and clear line of sight. You'll be standing under a set of power lines when you fly, but it's a great location above the parking lots where people will not be able to see you. They can hear your plane but not be able to see you up on that hill, so you can fly mostly undisturbed. Good LZ in the soft grass, but probably not the best place once the snow sticks. I want to get back and fly Rock Canyon again two of three times. There are some wicked cool cliffs there, but it's super easy to go chasing a cliff face and lose LOS behind another one that's in front of it. Lots of layers and you really need to be careful because if you loose a plane in those cliffs, you'll probably never see it again.

But I'm probably the only one here nutty enough to get that close to stuff. Everybody else flies pretty safe.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Video from todays FPV flight. Watch for the small herd of deer at the start of video.

*Disclaimer* Music might be a little much for some, so if you dont like the music just mute it.

Provo canyon FPV flight (5 min 19 sec)
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Interesting video

HD #16 808 Keychain Camera Lens D vs. GoPro Hero HD (1 min 8 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Interesting video
WOW.....very interesting. I'd say you get a lot of bang for your buck....and save a whole bunch of weight. I was looking online at these and they have some that are wired for video out. I wonder how they would work with an OSD...
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Video from todays FPV flight. Watch for the small herd of deer at the start of video.

*Disclaimer* Music might be a little much for some, so if you dont like the music just mute it.
Great video. That's a beautiful place. Was that on your new Storm Chaser? Lets see some pics of how you have your gear set up if you get the chase. I really want one of those! Looks like a sweet plane.
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Interesting video
I have one of these and they're pretty darn good for $40. There's a new firmware and GUI that improves contrast and color even better than what you see in the video. The only issue that I've had with the two 808's (one A lens and one D) that I've owned is that they are very sensitive to vibration at certain frequencies. I've just remounted one of them on my small wing and will try to post some video.
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
They definitely do make a great bang-for-the-buck camera, at only $40. Even still, though, you just can't beat the GoPro. First of all, it looks like that video was with a GoPro Hero HD. Not Hero2, or the new Hero3. The lenses and sensors have been upgraded since.

And more importantly, frames per second: if I understand it right, the keychains still only do 30fps. GoPro 3's now go up to 120fps, and I generally stick at 60fps at 720p. The framerate makes the video look a LOT smoother.

I still use my keychain a lot, but if I plan on putting together a solid video afterward, I definitely go with the GoPro
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
The day I broke my GoPro

Antelope Island FPV Flight (2 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe View Post
Great video. That's a beautiful place. Was that on your new Storm Chaser? Lets see some pics of how you have your gear set up if you get the chase. I really want one of those! Looks like a sweet plane.
Thanks, it is my storm chaser with aileron version.

Not the best pic, I'll get better ones for you soon.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
My new 808 #16 D lens V2 seems to have better light and color control but even the old 808 wasn't bad for the buck and weight. My thought is I am not shooting for National Geographic, just want a few videos to kick around. I am more concerned with the weight and drag of the GP than I am the price.

I just bought the upgrade kit and put the D lens on the other 808 I have. I can see there is a difference between the two cameras I think I am going back to download the latest firmware and update my other #16 keychain camera.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Sad day, I'm sure. But love the soundtrack
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
I am more concerned with the weight and drag of the GP than I am the price.
Like I said, don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin' on the keychain. I still have mine and use them. But If you get the Layer Lens from FPVmanuals.com, and ditch the full case (and especially if you get the new Hero3, which is smaller and lighter) you're talking about the same weight as a large ESC. I don't consider the weight an issue at all, compared to the high quality final video, if you're actually going to spend time editing it into a presentation video.

drag... you kinda got me there. Except that on larger wings, like the DRXL, Herc, or Storm Chaser, you can dig them in pretty far into the foam, so that it makes a lot less difference. Really, anything the size of a Reaper or bigger, if you dig it down in as much as you can, the drag is probably only noticeable if you were racing.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Quote:
The day I broke my GoPro
What caused the crash? looked like it was flying fine until then.

Kind of a disappointing day. I went to san rafael swell northern side today hoping to get some killer FPV stuff. My video range just plain sucks. I don't get it. I used to have pretty decent range. Now I'm getting under a mile. I think I'll start with new antennas and a decent diversity system. I'm on 1.3. Any suggestions?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:17 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Which antennas are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
What caused the crash? looked like it was flying fine until then.

Kind of a disappointing day. I went to san rafael swell northern side today hoping to get some killer FPV stuff. My video range just plain sucks. I don't get it. I used to have pretty decent range. Now I'm getting under a mile. I think I'll start with new antennas and a decent diversity system. I'm on 1.3. Any suggestions?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson