HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
Man, that looks like a great place to fly. Nothing for miles around to hit!
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Man, that looks like a great place to fly. Nothing for miles around to hit!
Exactely. Its a great place to learn and do testing. However, it does get a little boring. I'm looking for a spot with a little more terrain right now.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,808 Posts
GeminyRyan,

I've been wanting to fly out at Eagle Mountain and get some of those mountains to the west of the valley, maybe get Flat Top and Lowe Peak. They look pretty high from a distance, but I don't know if they have much by way of cliffs or interesting features.

Sadly, I crashed my Herc last week. I'd seen Ryan (Plane Insane) fly his planes from inside his car during the winter, so I decided to try it out. Launched my Herc, got it up high, put it on autopilot, and climbed in my truck. Took all of 20 seconds to get my goggles on, and when I did I saw just a split second of terrain rushing towards me before the video went dead. Yeah, somehow it either went out of autopilot, or I maybe bumped my transmitter unknowingly, but it was a TKO. Destroyed both of my new Hero3 cameras onboard (filming in 3D). They were both in their protective cases, but that didn't make much of a difference given that I flew right into a bunch of giant boulders. I was fortunate to get a glimpse of what I was crashing into before I hit, so I knew where to look to retreive the cameras, which had both detached from the plane, along with the motor, both batteries, video transmitter... it was split in half and nearly all of the components were spread over the terrain. Never found the new SPW antenna that was on my transmitter... broke off and was lost.

Did a irreparable damage to the plane, so I'm just building a new one from scratch. Thank heavens I bought the full protection plan from Best Buy on those new cameras!

I just finished processing my first fully 3D flight that I took last week up on Lone Peak cliff run at sunset (a few days before the crash) , and it is friggin spectacular! Can't wait to get another Herc built and go do it again.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
Dude, that sucks! Ya that flying from inside the car is the bomb in the winter but you defiantly need to have your plane setup so it can fly for a min or 2 on its own just in case.

So where do I get a pair of 3d glasses?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
Hey KatanGuy,
When you fly at rock canyon, where do you fly from?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,808 Posts
This is true full-frame 3D, not anaglyph (cyan/magenta), so you'd need a passive or active matrix display or projector of some sort. When I get my first 3D video done, I'll have a "guy night" at the house for those that want to see it. I'll probably post a SBS (side by side) version on YouTube, which is half resolution, but you'd still need a 3D capable display and glasses to view it. It's a royal pain in the butt to do what I'm doing, takes ten times longer to stabilize, edit, and process this footage because I'm filming at 2.7k and have to manage two data streams perfectly. I'll probably only do one video this way because it's just so much work, then go back to shooting regular 1080 and doing what I've been doing.

Speaking of which, I'm nearly done with a new video and it's pretty sweet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Oh man.....I actually almost started to cry. But then I read you had the protection plan....VERY SMART! I'm going to have to remember that when I get mine. Almost equally as sad is the death of your Herc. Can't wait to see the finished video of Lone Peak 3D!! looks like I'm going to have to invest in some 3d specs!

So yeah, every time I am driving or flying out west there I look up at those peaks and tell myself....'someday....they will be mine!' They aren't anything spectacular, but still would be fun. I was driving out on the Rush Valley side and thought that there is some potentially good areas for flights up the Ophir Canyon, or some of the other canyons. There is some interesting terrain on that side.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,808 Posts
I'm anxious to get back in the air. Let me know Geminiryan if you're going to head out there. Even if I don't have anything to fly, I'd like to go for the drive. It's a good idea to have a spotter to help out, especially when you first start flying in rough terrain. It only takes one bad choice to fly behind something and suddenly you're video cuts out... a spotter can keep you out of ALL SORTS of trouble.

I really wish I'd have had somebody to fly with the day I crashed my Herc. Could have saved me a month of build time and a lot of frustration.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
I'll let you know for sure. Even though I'm not ready to fly in rough terrain or which might pose a challenge I like to get out and scope out potential flight areas.

In the future, if anyone needs a spotter, or thinks they might need a spotter let me know.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:41 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Normally extended warranties and protection plans are just money-traps for suckers, but if you're going to throw a GoPro on something like an RC plan... and then fly like you do, Todd... then dang, it's a GOOD thing you got that protection plan!

I don't think I get excited about other posts like I do for your fully edited videos, so I'm stoked to see what you've got!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
I'm about ready for some fpv this weekend. Thinking out at tibble fork or off alpine loop.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:56 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Wow. Slick! How much did the weight end up being on that? What did you use?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:06 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Argh! Why do stupid people like this have to give the rest of us FPV flyers a bad name?

Honestly, I would have shot the dang thing with a shotgun, too. Surveillance without a warrant by an NGO, on private property... NOT what fpv is for.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...983451.html?dr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Wow. Slick! How much did the weight end up being on that? What did you use?
Havnt weighed it yet, but I'm sure not much more. It's ultrakote so its super light weight covering.

I covered my deep reaper and assassin with ultrakote and and if worked great, no issues with being too heavy.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,356 Posts
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
So here's my first attempt at recording one of my flights. My editing isn't that great because I had 2 small monsters...I mean toddlers on my lap while I was doing it. I'm using a small JVC Picsio HD handheld camera to record. Also, no LRS yet.

https://vimeo.com/53192189
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson