HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
I'm on 2.4 video, so I wouldn't be able to fly with either of you guys in the air. Bummer. I really need to move to another frequency, it's annoying being on 2.4 video.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I'm on 2.4 video, so I wouldn't be able to fly with either of you guys in the air. Bummer. I really need to move to another frequency, it's annoying being on 2.4 video.
Isn't 2.4 for video really the best of both worlds? Penetration and quality wise? Like we discussed earlier, we'll just have to hang out and be your spotters. No worries. It will just be fun getting a group of FPVr's together.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Me too.....so far about 1/2 mile out with stock futaba 6ex.
I think I've been out at least a mile before....hard to tell without osd
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
A short clip from this weekends drop.

Giant Pumpkin Dropped on Travel Trailer (0 min 44 sec)
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Alright, that does it. I'm going to next years drop. That's awesome!
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Isn't 2.4 for video really the best of both worlds? Penetration and quality wise? Like we discussed earlier, we'll just have to hang out and be your spotters. No worries. It will just be fun getting a group of FPVr's together.
Na, we'll just take turns. No biggie. If we fly together, we all should be flying.

2.4 video is great if you're alone in the desert or mountains, but you can't fly with people on 2.4 radio control, or be near a populated area where a lot of homes are broadcasting 2.4 wi-fi.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Say 2 people were flying on 1.3 or 5.8 can you change the frequency to another so you can fly at the same time?

Also, does that work with dragonlink as well?
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Most 1.3 gear is limited to one channel. There are actually 2 channels on 1.3 legal in the US, but most of the gear on the market only supports a single US channel. If you purchased gear overseas that has European channels on 1.3 unlocked, you can switch to other channels, but you'll be flying on illegal frequencies.

2.4ghz video only has 2 legal channels, 1 & 2, although there are 8 channels available on most 2.4 gear.

5.8 has 8 legal channels, I believe. So you could theoretically have 8 people flying legally on 5.8 at the same time.

The problem with 2.4 radio control gear is that it doesn't pick a specific channel and stick to it. Most 2.4 radio gear frequency hops, staying on each band for only milliseconds. The TX and RX gear hop in sync, so even if something else is on a frequency within the hopping range, those extraneous signals get filtered out.

That wreaks havoc with anybody transmitting 2.4 ghz video. It won't matter which video channel you're using, if someone nearby is flying with spectrum hopping control gear on 2.4, you're video will be a mangled mess.

There are some instances where 2.4 video gear can actually cause people flying on 2.4ghz radio gear to crash. Spektrum brand DSM2 for instance only uses 2 frequences. Which frequencies it picks are random. So if it picks two frequencies right next to each other, and someone is broadcasting video on that frequency, it can cause the DSM2 radio to lose contact with a plane and cause a crash, which is why you should never fly 2.4ghz video gear at an RC flying field when others are flying DSM2 radio gear like Spektrum.

The important thing for FPV pilots is that they always know who else is flying nearby and what channel they're using for video & TX.

One example of how quickly things can go wrong happened to Scott & Mike out at the sod farm. Scott was flying a new Hercules on 2.4 video. They were the only ones at the farm. He had DragonLink with the OSD and return to home programmed in. Scott started flying South, and Mike was spotting for him. He got a good distance away and his video started to go fuzzy, then it went to static for just a second and came back. But when the video came back, the plane was flying in the opposite direction going North. They were standing there debating how the plane got turned around so quickly, when Mike noticed that the OSD screen data was off, but had been on before the static. When they realized that they were actually watching somebody else's plane footage on their video channel, their plane had crashed. The other plane had passed theirs going the opposite direction, and was therefore closer and so it's video signal was stronger. Scott could easily have flipped on Return to Home (RTH), but he didn't realize until it was too late that he needed to.

People flying LRS systems need to be aware how the tech works and become masters of it in order to fly safely.

If it were possible to do frequency hopping video, it would be a great benefit, but it doesn't really work that way. It would need to be a digital rather than analog signal, and even then if there were interference on any of the hopped channels, video frames would be dropped.

One other thing. If you guys are considering buying long range systems, you should consider using the same systems that everybody else in the area is using. Everyone in Utah that I know of is using DragonLink. It's rock solid. But there are other systems, especially Immersion EzUHF, that doesn't play well with DragonLink. So if you want to fly with any of the other local pilots, you should go with DragonLink over Scherrer or Ez. All of those systems are good systems, but they just don't play well together.

With FPV becoming so popular, I'm beginning to think it's a good idea for all FPV pilots to have more than one set of video transmission gear. I'm considering buying gear on both 1.3 and 5.8, in addition to my 2.4. As prices continue to drop, that will become more practical.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Great explanation. I have been extremely happy with my Dragonlink equipment and my 1.3 (actually 1.258ghz) has been good too. I also have a quick hit setup that I fly using Spektrum 2.4ghz on the radio and 5.8ghz on the vtx. With this setup, I can grab my wing, Dx7 and Fatsharks with integrated 5.8ghz and hit the field. I pretty much always fly alone so I've never had issue with this. It's my short range quick flying setup.

I can't say enough good things about my DL equipment. I don't even think about it anymore. It just works.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
I've all but purchased the DL.....I've researched, researched and researched some more about it and will be going that route.

As well as having a secondary FPV setup.....great idea.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
Of course, you can always make your own LRS: I'm going that route with this: http://www.goews.com/rfm22b and this: http://www.goews.com/rfm23bp_433mhz_transceiver. Being an EE is awesome .
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaGuy View Post
Of course, you can always make your own LRS: I'm going that route with this: http://www.goews.com/rfm22b and this: http://www.goews.com/rfm23bp_433mhz_transceiver. Being an EE is awesome .
I have 4 of the 1W ones just waiting for me to play with them.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Occasionally I get the urge to just slap someone. Having one of those urges now, actually.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
628 Posts
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Occasionally I get the urge to just slap someone. Having one of those urges now, actually.

smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
I flew one of these bad boys today! So smooth and precise. We used a Mondo Stinger 5.8Ghz FPV setup and the video transmission was super clean. The thing is big! You can see it LOS out almost a 1/2 mile.