HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
demonspawn,

Range on 1.3 ghz is significantly better than 5.8 and penetrates obstacles better, but the antennas are HUGE.

Picture on 5.8 ghz is significantly better and the antennas are tiny, but it does not handle obstructions at all and has a much shorter range.

2.4 ghz video is a happy medium with great range, great picture, & mid-sized antennas, but suffers from interference on the 2.4 band, including wifi and other RC pilots flying 2.4 for control.

There's no perfect solution unfortunately.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
What setup are you using on your wing? Aren't you using the dragon link as well?

Range isn't a huge issue I don't think, I think I'll run out of battery before I get to 15 miles really.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Also your videos are what inspired me to do fpv. I'd like to see Utah and the world doing fpv and making videos!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
demon,

I'm using DragonLink with the DOSD V2+. It's what I know and love.

80 Amp ESC with an 1100kv 35-48 motor spinning an 11x7 prop right now, seems to work okay on the herc.

I just rewired all of my video gear on it last night so that the entire system is powered independent of the ESC. I couldn't get rid of interference caused by the ESC on the (one power source) system.

That cleaned my video up nicely.

Now I've just gotta wait for my MFD antenna tracker to get here, and the Hero3 to come out so I can get back out and fly. I'm anxious, to say the least.

I'm using 2.4ghz video, but still regret committing to that. I wish I'd have gone 1.3 ghz. I get so much interference from wifi sources when flying around our local mountains. Works great out in the desert, but it bugs that I can't fly in my back yard without horrible noise in my video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Thanks. Looks like readymaderv has the 1.3 in stock.

I'm going to order it today! But not until you guys ok it, don't want to get the wrong thing.

Do I need anything to hook it up to a monitor? Or will that come with it?

Thank you all for your help.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:23 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Which items are you purchasing? Last I saw you were going 5.8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Custom 1.3 FPV Starter Package: 1258/1280MHz US Version

Camera - RMRC-480 NTSC Video Transmitter - 1.3GHz 400mW Video Receiver - 1.3GHz "Tan" Custom Ready Made RC Version TX Antenna - Standard RX Antenna - 1.1-1.3GHz 8dBiPatch Batteries - 460mAh RMRC Batteries for TX and RX Video Goggles - None OSD - None

I changed to 1.3 based off what you said about interference.

Now, will it be ok with my Jr/spektrum radio?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Well if you EVER plan on flying behind stuff, like, at ALL, then 5.8 is off the table. 2.4 does well behind stuff, but is problematic with band interference. So 1.3 is really the only solid choice... the antennas are massive though, so you end up with these big fragile antennas that get damaged easily.

So your #1 concern is going to be making sure your antennas don't get munched (it usually just takes damage in the car or during transport in and out of the house when things get set on it, or it snags something).

Your #2 concern is going to be knowing which other FPV pilots are using that channel. There are only 2 channels, so there can only be two of you in the air at a time. Make sure your channel is free of interference, and your plane is capable of RTH flight if there IS a problem.

Other than that, you should be good. If I can't get my 2.4 to clean up significantly in my tests this week, I may be moving to 1.3 as well.

Scott and Mike K have been testing 5.8 for long range, if you have any lingering doubts, I'd talk to Mike K (TypeRC here on RCG). He's a tech-guru, so he could lend another opinion on the matter. I'm more of a fly-guy / aerial artist, so take my tech recommendations with that grain of salt.

What we really need is an FPV channel list of all Utah FPV'ers so we can know who to call to check if anybody is using your channel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Awesome sounds good to me. Thank you for your help and advice, I went ahead and ordered the starter kit.

So if 2 people have 1.3, you can't fly at the same time?

Also, is there a frequency checker like in the old days with the 72mhz stuff?

I'm all for a list if numbers as well if someone wanted to compile something. For now, I guess I'll post here when and where I go out.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
409 Posts
I'm on 5.8 for video and 2.4 for control.....so I won't be a bother. However, if so much as a mosquito flies between my Vrx and my plane I'm going to get some fuzz! Just kidding! well not really.....
I think 2.4 will be in my future for my A/V link. Good Antenna's and a tracker....should be good to go.

Congrats demon on ordering your first FPV setup! WHOO HOO!
kokopropelli is online now Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Awesome Demon! We need to organize a local FPV meet, just so we can all get to know each other and become familiar with who is doing what in the area.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yeah anytime you guys want to get together I'm game.

I'm a weekend flier, mostly single rotor 3d stuff. So this will be my relax and fly type stuff. Can't wait to get started!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Man, I wish I were back in Utah right now, with my planes. I'm itching to get my DRXL back up with its FPV.

On the matter of a frequency list, I hate to be a wet blanket, but you may not get everyone voluntarily publicize what freq's they're on... for a variety of reasons.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
What, you using one of those "European" frequencies there Will?

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
409 Posts
Going to head out late Saturday afternoon to the soccer fields on the way to Eagle Mountain city center, or 5 miles pass for some FPV...haven't decided. anyone else in?
kokopropelli is online now Find More Posts by kokopropelli