HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Not sure, I am completely new to fpv. What would you suggest to start with?

I like the fact that the dragonlink has a 15 mile range.
15 miles is a looooooong way.
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
I will be using a Jr11x for the radio if that helps. Not sure if there is interference with 2.4ghz or not.
You'll have to do some research on the DL system and the JR11x. I'm not sure if the PPM signal is strong enough through the trainer port on this radio. Maybe some of the other Utah guys know the answer to that one.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
433mhz and 2.4 ghz work well together.

Quote:
I will be using a Jr11x for the radio if that helps. Not sure if there is interference with 2.4ghz or not.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

David, that setup from dragonlink for 269, do I still need the camera and something to output to my ground station? I'll be using a monitor or laptop as a ground station for now.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
433mhz and 2.4 ghz work well together.
Where do I find 433mhz video cameras?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe View Post
15 miles is a looooooong way.
Lol yeah, I'm going to work up to that.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

David, that setup from dragonlink for 269, do I still need the camera and something to output to my ground station? I'll be using a monitor or laptop as a ground station for now.
The Dragonlink is just the UHF radio system that takes your 2.4 radio transmitter signal and replaces it with 433mhz. You will also need a full setup on the video side in the frequency of your choice. (I use 1.3 and 5.8) You'll need a Video transmitter, video receiver, camera, and antenna for both video tx and rx. Do a little reasearch on readymaderc.com. They have video packages that work well together.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
So on that site and those packages, I wouldn't be needing the dragonlink? Looks like they have antennas in their package, or is there a seperate antenna for range and video?

This is pretty complicated lol.....I almost need someone to make me a shopping list and just buy what they say
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
You need a tx and a rx for both controlling the plane, and for the video feed. IOW, two tx's and two rx's.

DL has modules that replace your current tx's 2.4gHz control of the plane to another frequency that gives better range. aka "UHF systems." (433mHz, for example).

You would then also need a tx/rx set for your FPV video feed. 1.3 and 5.8 are popular.

And then there are antennas. That $269 DL setup already comes with antennas. You'd just need antennas for your FPV, then. A lot of FPV kits have antennas with them, but they're often just rubber duck di-poles with way less range than you just got for your plane's control, with the DL UHF system, so people upgrade them to... well, there are a ton of combinations. Personally, I'm liking IBCrazy's cloverleaf sets for mid-range stuff.

...make more sense? FPV is something worth spending plenty of time reading and observing before actually purchasing and attempting, that's for sure.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Gotcha, starting to sink in a little more.

Are then any starter kits out there that include everything so you can get into it and learn how everything works?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Like this combo, looks like everything is there, or is this just video feed?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=433
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
That's just for your FPV video feed, not control of your plane...

but that looks like a pretty good all-in-one setup. Mine is LawMate, which I would recommend, but I've got nothing bad to say about that set either.

About this point you're probably thinking, "Oh, shoot, $240 for an FPV setup, and another $270 for a DragonLink long range system!?" ...yeah, that's what I thought too.

Here's what I'd suggest (and where I'm at right now, too). Get the fpv setup (and I like those antennas. Those are basically IBCrazy's cloverleaf ones, so that's cool) and just don't fly too crazy far. Stay within range of your stock tx that controls the plane. Then, when you're totally comfortable with FPV, and your wallet has recovered, go for the DL long range control kit.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
That sounds like a good plan to me.

Now I need to just flimsy out if that will work with my Jr11x.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:15 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I can't imagine there would be any problem, but then again FPV is a field full of gremlins. If you did have interference, you could probably get a low-pass filter to take care of it, but it's not like the plane control and the FPV are physically attached to each other, so you're good there.

Now, whether or not the DL system fits on a JR11x, I have no idea, and you'd definitely want to find out first. There may also be a way to make it work if you know how to do some soldering and trust yourself on it.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Here's what I'd suggest (and where I'm at right now, too). Get the fpv setup (and I like those antennas. Those are basically IBCrazy's cloverleaf ones, so that's cool) and just don't fly too crazy far. Stay within range of your stock tx that controls the plane. Then, when you're totally comfortable with FPV, and your wallet has recovered, go for the DL long range control kit.

Thats Exactely what I did, I went with: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=433

for viewing:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=808

But I upgrade to the Immersion 600mw video transmitter though. I have a stock Futaba 6ex 2.4ghz for my control. And I put it all on the skysurfer from Readymaderc. So far I've been comfortably out to over half a mile. As far as FPV is concerned its not that far, but it really is pretty far away, especially if your at 1000ft altitude. I fly out by Eagle Mountain heading out towards City Center so its wiiiiiide open and its sooooo tempting to just head straight out over the valley.

After I got my FPV gear, (camera, video tx, video rx, and viewing device) I decided it was time that I needed to monitor the status of my plane, (altitude, speed, position, battery levels etc etc) so I decided to get an OSD (on screen display.) Now that I have a handle of all the information needed to fly at distance, I feel the next step will be a long range control upgrade, ie Dragon Link. Only after you've got to this point do I feel its necessary to have a LRS.

Anyways, FPV has been a process for me. Educating myself on the ins and outs of what kind of gear is out there has been a big part of it. Learning about radio frequency basics and electromagnetic priciples has been another big part of it. When you start putting everything together you start to get a picture of how it all fits together. And really, eventually it does all fit together. It may not be pretty, but you know you've done the research and you've built yourself a reliable FPV rig. Distance will come with time. Baby Steps.

So, like I said earlier. I fly out towards Eagle Mountain and if you ever want to make the drive out there and check out what its all about your more than welcome, just message me and we'll go from there.

Ryan
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli