HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:23 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
I was thinking of a RC deployable smoke. It would have to be such that it wouldn't start a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
Not only did I loose a GoPro, but the video on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I should have new bearings for the Hex this week, and I'll think about doing some flyovers from the ridge.

I'm sure that I'll have to pop for another GoPro, but I'm still walking it off.
It's still too soon, and I start getting upset when I think about replacing it

Most everything on board will sustain some moisture without too much damage. Hopefully; It's closed up pretty good in a bay.

So If it takes a while, then I'll just be happy if it shows up...

I figured that I could hike the top and see a glimmer of white in the trees, but that is not the case.
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Well if it crashed hard, there's a possibility that it ejected the main lipo pack. So all you need to do is wait until a deer bites into it and shorts the pack with his teeth, then you'll have a smoky signal you can track. That could be problematic if he's running like crazy... a moving smoke signal isn't gonna help. Hopefully it just kills him and he sits there and smokes for a while. If there's enough juice in your pack, you can bring a fork and knife and have some fresh cooked venison right there on the spot!

I always hope when I have a crash that the pack doesn't eject, that way it'll sit there live and fully drain the lipo til it's dead. The best idea is to just make sure your packs are double secured. I use a velcro strap as well as a door.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mountain? What mount..CRASH!!
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Mike K,

I did a little testing with the fmkit, and was satisfied that I would be able to use it,

but I would recommend doing some long range testing,

and I would say that a directional antenna is a must.

a signal strength indicator wouldn't hurt either.

-Mike
I feel your pain Mike, I have had to make 4+ hikes to find a plane. One of them being treacherous. I have Todd to thank for helping me find the wing in the picture. I had lost all hope....then Todd called me on my cell and was asking me where I was at on the mountain. That got me looking around so I could describe my location, and then there it was sitting in a bush up above me on the slope.

I hope you can find your plane.
If your in a pinch you can make a directional antenna by getting a Pringles can, poking a hole in the bottom and putting your handheld radio antenna through the hole. It's not the best but it will work. Or there are lots of antenna plans online...just have to find one that will suite your needs.
cardo is offline Find More Posts by cardo
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
661 Posts
Hope you can fly your plane soon. Really sucks!
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/world/...ugh/index.html
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
m_beeson,
Do you think a gps type tracker that sends it's coordinates via. cell phone signal (GPRS) would work in the area you went down in, or it's too remote and wouldn't have had a signal anyway? I'm still kicking around the the FMKit Beacon idea, but it sounds like it wasn't much help much this time. Would you still recommend it?
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,343 Posts
cardo,

Wow, I'm glad you found it.

I still have a couple of brutal hikes that I need to make, before I call it...

I also should have the hex in flying order here shortly, and that "may" help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo View Post
I feel your pain Mike, I have had to make 4+ hikes to find a plane. One of them being treacherous. I have Todd to thank for helping me find the wing in the picture. I had lost all hope....then Todd called me on my cell and was asking me where I was at on the mountain. That got me looking around so I could describe my location, and then there it was sitting in a bush up above me on the slope.

I hope you can find your plane.
If your in a pinch you can make a directional antenna by getting a Pringles can, poking a hole in the bottom and putting your handheld radio antenna through the hole. It's not the best but it will work. Or there are lots of antenna plans online...just have to find one that will suite your needs.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
m_beeson,
Do you think a gps type tracker that sends it's coordinates via. cell phone signal (GPRS) would work in the area you went down in, or it's too remote and wouldn't have had a signal anyway? I'm still kicking around the the FMKit Beacon idea, but it sounds like it wasn't much help much this time. Would you still recommend it?
Geeze,

I don't know what to say about the fmkit at this point. I really don't know.

It could have been a LiPo that had too little MaH, or maybe it just didn't send the signal out from where it was. I just don't know.

I am looking at the gprs, but when I was on the mountain, my cell coverage was horrible; even though I was just above the valley, and in plain view of any and all cell towers.

Lynn & Nate have a fmkit, and we need to do some more extensive testing, and we really need to build some directional antennas.

I know that I'll try to resolve this issue before I fly behind mountains again...
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Quote:
I know that I'll try to resolve this issue before I fly behind mountains again...
You do know that you're not supposed to fly behind mountains, right? I mean, that's sort of an important thing to know as an FPV pilot.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
906 Posts
Hey, better than trying to fly "behind" bodies of water. I definitely need a new ESC for my Assassin now.
elCapitan is online now Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
You do know that you're not supposed to fly behind mountains, right? I mean, that's sort of an important thing to know as an FPV pilot.

I know it sounds funny, but with circular polarized antennas, and 433 pumped up on high, I have flown behind mountains.

Not completely behind mountains, but deep enough that it wasn't considered LOS any more.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Quote:
I know it sounds funny, but with circular polarized antennas, and 433 pumped up on high, I have flown behind mountains.
That's what ya call "Dancing with the Devil", or "Flirting with Disaster", or "Putting it all on the line"...

or some other things that we shouldn't say in a public forum.

I've intentionally flown behind small stacks of rock and the like, lost signal for a few seconds, no problem, but those couple of times I've unintentionally gone behind a big hill and lost video, it always scares the crap out of me. Thank heavens DragonLink always goes out AFTER video, so I can yank the stick and pull up, flying out of danger just as soon as the video starts to break up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,894 Posts
I have thought for some time that maybe we should copy what the falconers do.

Patrick is a falconer and at one time was an RC flyer. He has a small tracking device that is small enough he can put them on the back of his birds. He can track the bird for 25+ miles with a scanner that is on a hand head antenna.

I know his battery on the transmitter is capable of broadcasting 7-35 days depending on which model you get. The battery is small enough a peregrine not only can carry it but still be fully aerobatic.

http://www.merlin-systems.com/falconry/fmv.htm
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,343 Posts
Lee,

Lynn has been talking to me about these systems for a couple of months now.

Some of the equipment can be very expensive, but it is worth looking in to...

Anything is better than loosing a plane

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have thought for some time that maybe we should copy what the falconers do.

Patrick is a falconer and at one time was an RC flyer. He has a small tracking device that is small enough he can put them on the back of his birds. He can track the bird for 25+ miles with a scanner that is on a hand head antenna.

I know his battery on the transmitter is capable of broadcasting 7-35 days depending on which model you get. The battery is small enough a peregrine not only can carry it but still be fully aerobatic.

http://www.merlin-systems.com/falconry/fmv.htm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
364 Posts
My flight at Pineview Reservoir earlier today. Raw, uncut. This is mirrored in the FPV fourm: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9643

Pineview Resevoir FPV: Boat Buzzing and Wake Boarding Backflips (9 min 3 sec)

-Steve
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy