HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:24 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
The Spartan Beast up in Soldier's Hollow, in Midway. No idea who was flying (didn't know anyone was), but I was there competing. Holy CRAP that was a race! 12 miles, 25+ obstacles.

I did get video, but from the GoPro on my forehead. Still working on editing that.
Ya, it looked brutal...

My sister,niece, and sister in law competed in it. They said that they were looking for me; when they saw the multirotor.

They said that the pilot was wearing goggles, so It had to be FPV.

Of course my response was, "there are only a few people that I know of who are flying FPV Multirotor".
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:17 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
It was brutal, but an awesome experience!

Yeah, really wonder who that was, and what kind of video they got. Worst part for me (after the fact) was finding out my battery ran out right before the final few obstacles. SO LAME! Guess I should have run it 20 min faster
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:15 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
It was brutal, but an awesome experience!

Yeah, really wonder who that was, and what kind of video they got. Worst part for me (after the fact) was finding out my battery ran out right before the final few obstacles. SO LAME! Guess I should have run it 20 min faster
I can't wait to see the video...
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Anyone fpv'ing up timp today? I'm hiking, almost to the top, if you want to come record me
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:24 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
382 Posts
Top of where? Timp?

I'll be doing some quadrotor filming of the BYU kayaking club up at Sixthwater Creek in the Spanish Fork Canyon if all goes to plan this Saturday.

-Steve
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:21 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Thursday evening I decided to test my new prop on the wing to see how it would fly.

I was getting ready to go look for lynns plane again, but I had to test it.

I took off, and got with some ducks. Flew with them for a while, and then went over and skimmed the cliffs and tree tops. I flew back to the back of the canyon. Then I came out and got some altitude, and got into and above some clouds.

It was really flying perfect, and I was making one more pass when the voltage dropped, and I lost video. I could have been too deep behind the mountain, but just as I thought "I better turn around", my video dropped out completely.

I engaged rth, but it didn't make it back.

So...

I've got over 20 hours of hiking in, in the last 3 days.

aaaand, nothing...

I suppose it is officially lost.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,128 Posts
That story sucks!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:11 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
A locator beacon would have been nice to have on that one!

The problem with getting up into dense forest like that is you can't see anything. You could be standing right under it, but if it lands in a tree and gets embedded, you'd never know. You could spend months looking and never get even close, unless you had a general idea where it went down.

That's one of the reasons I love flying down in Southern Utah. No trees. I've planted my plane up in the cliffs a few times, but we've always been able to find and recover it.

At the very least, it's a good idea to have a siren/beeper on it. I've gotten lucky a couple times and retrieved vehicles just with a beeper onboard. One of those times it had landed in a thicket of brush and wasn't visible. I had to leave in a few hours, so I had very limited time to search. I took my radio in with me, hiked a few hours, periodically turned on the beeper. When I got to the proper canyon slot, I couldn't see it at all until I'd climbed into the brush when I heard the beeper and knew where to look. Without it, there's no way I would have found it.

Sorry for your loss Mike. That's a real kick to the head in time & money. I don't even have a plane online right now or I'd come help you look. I'm building a couple of new planes, but I'm still weeks out from being airborne again.

Nice pics though. Love that cloud on settled in on the mountain.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Mike B. sorry to read about your lose as well...

Looks like the fmkit (beacon) didn't/isn't helping you find the plane. I'm curious to know how you hooked it up. I've been thinking about buying one but figured it would have to be in its own little black box with its own battery in case you ejected your flight packs. Which has been the case in all 3 of the crashes I've been involved in.

Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:29 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
I had the fmkit on board, but I took a battery from a keychain cam. I didn't know what mah it was. It must have been less than I thought.

The first day we thought we were on the signal with the scanners, but never picked it up on the frs radio.

that signal took us into an area that you don't want to be.
we finally concluded that it wasn't the right signal,
but Lynn and I followed it to what I would only refer to as "hell".

yesterday I couldn't search,

so today, I had thought I spotted it with a spotting scope, but it wasn't my plane.

I've been hiking around today in some of the most treacherous terrain that you can immagine.

unfortunately, I don't see how this one can be recovered...

All hope is not lost, but a great deal of it is...
Last edited by m_beeson; Jul 09, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:33 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Mike K,

I did a little testing with the fmkit, and was satisfied that I would be able to use it,

but I would recommend doing some long range testing,

and I would say that a directional antenna is a must.

a signal strength indicator wouldn't hurt either.

-Mike
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:26 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Yeah, I guess crashing in inhospitable terrain invalidates the need for a tracker. If you can't physically reach it, there's no point. Flying over the beautiful & inhospitable terrain is sort of whole reason we fly FPV, isn't it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:22 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,128 Posts
Seems as though a little emergeny red parachute might be a sweet little device. But I guess if you cant see the plane and have lost control of it there would be no way to deploy it. But a red parachute 4' across would be pretty easy to find in most places, well unless you were flying in some of the places you guys fly.

Anyways, I love the videos of you guys going where no rc plane should go! Its awesome!!!!! Hope for some reason the plane shows up at some point however.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thursday evening I decided to test my new prop on the wing to see how it would fly.

I was getting ready to go look for lynns plane again, but I had to test it.

I took off, and got with some ducks. Flew with them for a while, and then went over and skimmed the cliffs and tree tops. I flew back to the back of the canyon. Then I came out and got some altitude, and got into and above some clouds.

It was really flying perfect, and I was making one more pass when the voltage dropped, and I lost video. I could have been too deep behind the mountain, but just as I thought "I better turn around", my video dropped out completely.

I engaged rth, but it didn't make it back.

So...

I've got over 20 hours of hiking in, in the last 3 days.

aaaand, nothing...

I suppose it is officially lost.
Dang, that really sucks! Sorry about your loss guys. I hope you can find it!
Nice photos of the recovery efforts. Did you lose a GoPro with it?
seearestacey is online now Find More Posts by seearestacey
Last edited by seearestacey; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Best way to find a downed plane is to get another plane in the air with a GoPro pointing downward and then fly grid patterns back and forth over the area. Then take the GoPro footage home and analyze it on a computer screen so you can see it clearly. That or take an iPad or laptop with you. If you start your ground recorder and GoPro recording at the same time, you can sync up the footage with your GPS location and get a location estimate.

You'd obviously have to hike in to the area your plane went down in. If you flew behind a mountain, you'd need to get back there so your 2nd plane can fly safely in that zone.

After my plane went down in Mexican Hat, we found it this way with a 2nd plane. I'm not going on big road trips like that any more without either a 2nd person flying, or having 2 planes. We wouldn't have found it any other way.
RCG Plus Member