HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Thanks for the info.

How do you like naza?

And what do you think of the dji 550? I almost bought a 550 a few weeks ago, bit I am not sure how I feel about it being so low to the ground. My hexacopter is going to be multi purpose, fpv and Ariel photography as it will need to carry my dslr.

I'm a machinist and will be going to school this fall for mechanical engineering so I may just design and cut my own to suit my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thanks

I am using Naza FC with GPS add-on

Range Video 1280 Mhz with saw fse6ilter upgrade in the VRx

Skewed Planar wheel VTx (mounted about 9" above fuselage)

Fan Stack (omni) VRx

10 turn Helical VRx

Chainlink LRS with halfwave Tx antenna (with lowpass filter),
and turnstile Rx antenna.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
nice, ive always like coheed.

Im not flying fpv yet, would love to soon. Just not sure what equipment to go with. I've hears of dragon link but that's about it.

Can't wait to see your new videos. I've watched your others and the fox news interview and enjoy your work.

I'm still learning multi rotors as well. They are very different then flying collective pitch helis, which is all I normally fly. It's like a mix between flying an airplane and a heli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Welcome demonspawn78!

Nice to hear another Coheed fan in the forum! Saw them at Saltair a few years back, they rocked it up!

Watched your two vids. Nice river shots. Are you flying your quad FPV? Looks like you're just doing line-of-sight and can't fly too far away right now. You'll love flying a quad or hex FPV, it frees you up to explore and make really nice vids. Once you start getting some nice forward motion it'll really improve the "flying" feel in your vids.

I'm new to multi-rotors, but am finally starting to get comfortable flying out a ways. KanyonKris hooked up with me this morning and we went up to Stewart Falls. I flew about half a mile out, all the way to the top of the uppermost falls and it was quite a ways up the mountainside. Scared the crap out of me, I've never flown quite that high before. When I turned around to return home and saw how far away I was and how high, I got goose bumps.

With a plane flying downhill and coming home is standard fare, but with a multi-rotor it's a different experience and quite a bit more nerve-wracking. Climbing is so much easier than descending.

The shots we got of the falls are spectacular. Sadly, I forgot to turn on the GoPro for one of the four flights, so I came home one video short.

I've got over 30 good flights on the Quad now, and enough footage to do a really spectacular Quad video. I just need to sit down and dig into it.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
I just bought the frame naza FC and GPS. (not ARF)

The price was right for the frame.

I wish it was a little bigger so I could run 11" props

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Thanks for the info.

How do you like naza?

And what do you think of the dji 550? I almost bought a 550 a few weeks ago, bit I am not sure how I feel about it being so low to the ground. My hexacopter is going to be multi purpose, fpv and Ariel photography as it will need to carry my dslr.

I'm a machinist and will be going to school this fall for mechanical engineering so I may just design and cut my own to suit my needs.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
Mountain? What mount..CRASH!!
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2008
134 Posts
Anyone know if you would get in trouble if you FPV'ed around one of the wildfires? I'm not saying I would go do it (I don't have the time), just curious if the law would jump on you for doing it.
I wonder if we could be a help to the firemen out there.....getting an on demand/up to date areal view of where the fire is headed would be helpful. (and cheaper/safer than a full sized heli or plane.) It would be risky flying though....all the heat from the fire would cause a bunch of updrafts/funky wind currents.
cardo is offline Find More Posts by cardo
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
I thought about it too.

one thing is for sure; If they have aircraft fling arouned, they'd get pissed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo View Post
Anyone know if you would get in trouble if you FPV'ed around one of the wildfires? I'm not saying I would go do it (I don't have the time), just curious if the law would jump on you for doing it.
I wonder if we could be a help to the firemen out there.....getting an on demand/up to date areal view of where the fire is headed would be helpful. (and cheaper/safer than a full sized heli or plane.) It would be risky flying though....all the heat from the fire would cause a bunch of updrafts/funky wind currents.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:39 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
one thing is for sure; If they have aircraft fling arouned, they'd get pissed...
Not only would pilots not be amused, but think about the situation as a whole. Almost all of these fires have been human started. Even the governor had some... Shall we say, irked words about it. I don't think more civilian "meddling" --as they would see it -- is what they want at this point, and would probably be pretty bad press for the fpv community.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Obviously fake, but dont go getting no ideas!!!
Prototype Quadrotor with Machine Gun! (5 min 12 sec)
!
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Interesting. Wondering if the "comply with all rules related to aircraft" is an attempt to pre-empt more restrictive regulations.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2012...s-ethics-code/
Last edited by elCapitan; Jul 03, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:18 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Interesting. Wondering if the "comply with all rules related to aircraft" is an attempt to pre-empt more restrictive regulations.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2012...industry-releases-ethics-code/
This story is no longer available on the site
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
sorry, fixed the link above
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:23 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
anyone going to try to get footage of the hot air balloons?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
That would be super cool, but also super foolish. There are thousands of people at the balloon launch, you have problems at all you're crashing into a bunch of families trying to enjoy the balloon launch. I'd say that would only be allowed if they invited you to shoot it and you were really confident in your platform and skill set.

But yeah, that'd be super super cool.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:07 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
They had a obstacle type competition a few days ago. I don't remember what they called it, but it was a big deal.

They had to go through mud and over walls, and things that you might see in a millitary boot camp.

Anyway, there was someone flying FPV with a multirotor (so I heard).

Are we going to see any videos of it?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:14 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
sorry, fixed the link above
Ok,

So that looks like it is focused on commercial production of a finished product.

There are a few companies who produce a finished product for customers.

They would be held to a certain standard.

We as hobbiests are still waiting for the hammer of regulations to fall.

The bad thing is that hobbiests will be regulated, but the good thing is that commercialization in the private sector will be opened with the new regs.

I have read that Obama put the brakes on a ruling until after the electioins. So if he is re-elected, then we can expect new regs to follow immediately, but if he is not put back into office, then we really don't know what to expect.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
They had a obstacle type competition a few days ago. I don't remember what they called it, but it was a big deal.

They had to go through mud and over walls, and things that you might see in a millitary boot camp.

Anyway, there was someone flying FPV with a multirotor (so I heard).

Are we going to see any videos of it?
The Spartan Beast up in Soldier's Hollow, in Midway. No idea who was flying (didn't know anyone was), but I was there competing. Holy CRAP that was a race! 12 miles, 25+ obstacles.

I did get video, but from the GoPro on my forehead. Still working on editing that.