HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:33 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I havn't had a chance to look at it yet. I would agree Saturday or a Monday would be good days to try. Before I go, I always check google earth for good take off and landing and locations. If you dont mind just getting one side of the temple you can always stay far away and just zoom in. Thats kinda nice cuse nobody gets upset for buzzin the tower. I'm not sure if thats possible with all the large buildings around. Let me know what you come up with and I'll just follow your lead when I get up that direction.
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:43 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
FPV Setups

Is anyone working on, or wanted to work on, an FPV setup? If so, let's swap notes on what's working and what's not. My current setup is a bullet cam, a 2.4gHz video tx with matching rx, and a monocular video eyepiece. It's the poor man's FPV. It cost me about $113 originally for the whole setup -- $88 on eBay for the camera, rx, and tx; $25 for the eyepiece. But add another $60 bucks to that total because I just ordered a new bullet cam after I damaged mine in a crash. I was flying with two other people and they were taking turns looking through the video eyepiece, just to see how good the video signal was. I finally decided to take a peak for myself at the video feed and as I did that the plane spiraled out of control and I didn't react in time to save it. Oh well. Easy come, easy go. At least the plane wasn't too damaged. Mental note to self for next time: have a spotter keep an eye on the plane when I start messing around with the eyepiece.

My goal is to eventually have a two-camera setup, one regular onboard camera for stills or video and a wireless FPV camera sending me live video so I can frame the shots of the onboard camera. None of my electrics can handle the weight of both cameras, so for now I've only flown one or the other while I try to get the wrinkles ironed out of both cameras. Plus, in addition to having FPV for framing shots, I think it would be a blast to fly around FPV sometimes just for the fun of it.

Here's a video of the crash. It's an 18-second clip taken from a longer highlight video I made of everything we flew that day. My only regret about the crash is that I didn't have the video feed hooked up to a VCR to record the pilot's view of the crash. That would have been cool.

Wild Hawk Crash with FPV Cam (0 min 19 sec)
Darth_Elevator is online now Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Darth I'm actually very interested in FPV flight, but at the time, everything I've seen out there is at least $500 setup.

Big thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
Is anyone working on, or wanted to work on, an FPV setup? If so, let's swap notes on what's working and what's not. My current setup is a bullet cam, a 2.4gHz video tx with matching rx, and a monocular video eyepiece. It's the poor man's FPV. It cost me about $113 originally for the whole setup -- $88 on eBay for the camera, rx, and tx; $25 for the eyepiece. But add another $60 bucks to that total because I just ordered a new bullet cam after I damaged mine in a crash. I was flying with two other people and they were taking turns looking through the video eyepiece, just to see how good the video signal was. I finally decided to take a peak for myself at the video feed and as I did that the plane spiraled out of control and I didn't react in time to save it. Oh well. Easy come, easy go. At least the plane wasn't too damaged. Mental note to self for next time: have a spotter keep an eye on the plane when I start messing around with the eyepiece.

My goal is to eventually have a two-camera setup, one regular onboard camera for stills or video and a wireless FPV camera sending me live video so I can frame the shots of the onboard camera. None of my electrics can handle the weight of both cameras, so for now I've only flown one or the other while I try to get the wrinkles ironed out of both cameras. Plus, in addition to having FPV for framing shots, I think it would be a blast to fly around FPV sometimes just for the fun of it.

Here's a video of the crash. It's an 18-second clip taken from a longer highlight video I made of everything we flew that day. My only regret about the crash is that I didn't have the video feed hooked up to a VCR to record the pilot's view of the crash. That would have been cool.

http://www.vimeo.com/1147290
Hi Darth,
You donít need 2 cameras; all you need is a downlink. Thatís what I use. What it does is plugs into your AV port on your still shot camera. It then broadcasts whatever your digital camera is seeing to your ground station. You can see how many pictures you have taken, what your camera settings are, your battery level and so on. I have recently started saving my flights to my laptop. Iíll have to upload one so you can see it. One thing that would make this hard to use for FPV is that I shoot on a rapid fire setting and it always has a small pause and preview so for a split second you see a still shot and not a moving picture. Itís nice because you can see if the picture is even close to what you want but bad for FPV. You can turn this setting off if you are only taking 1 picture at a time but not for the mult or burst setting on my camera.

Where did you get your eye piece? Is it color? I donít trust flying FPV without a spotter and a one eye piece might be the ticket. I almost lost my plane again on Saturday taking pictures. Scares me every time.
Last edited by chicken hawk; Jun 12, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,923 Posts
Chicken Hawk. I would love to see your setup. Anychance you make it to the sod farm this week?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
What a great idea! Using the AV output is so simple I'm embarrassed I didn't think about it. Did you cut your AV cord down shorter to save weight or did you find a shorter cord already made?

Here's the link to the eyepiece thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760939

It's a simple hack that didn't take long to do and the eyepiece has pretty decent video quality considering it only cost $25. I believe it's at least good enough quality for framing shots, even if it's not perfectly adequate for FPV. Your only problem might be in finding a source for the eyepiece. By the time I stumbled across the thread a few months ago, the original source was no longer selling them, so I ended up buying one from someone who had bought an extra one.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON
Chicken Hawk. I would love to see your setup. Anychance you make it to the sod farm this week?
I sure want too. I almost made it last weekend but when I woke up the weather looked cold and cloudy. I wanted to see Diegos jet maiden but I guess that didnt happen due to problems so now I have a another chance to catch that action. But like Diego, I dont have 2.4 so.... but I might stop by.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:59 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Darth,
How is that AP slinger build coming along?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
I'm still trying to design the middle pod for electronics and camera mount. I want to make it modular, with a central removal pod and removal wingtips so I can break it apart into two wings, the center pod, and the wingtips and fit all the pieces into a backpack. I sat down the other night and worked out the details of the camera mount and the general design of the pod. Now, to find some time to start building....
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:13 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Like most of my builds, I finished this one in the wee hours of the morning. 26 ounces AUW with camera, which is 2 ounces lighter than my 48-inch Pinata Max with camera.

Camera can point straight down or forward, with a pivot mount system similar to the one I made for my Slow Stick. I haven't carved out spots for the rx and ESC and battery yet, because I don't know whether CG is correct. Once I figure that out, I'll make spaces for them and some sort of hatch cover. Comes apart and reassembles very quickly. Wingtips are held on with some small servo screws, so they can be removed for packing the plane into a backpack.

I'm going to try maidening it first thing tomorrow. I hope I'll have good news to report and not a broken camera. I know, I know, fly it first with dead weight. But I love the thrill.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:15 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I like it. Cant wait to hear the flight report. I think I better get my cores ordered right away so I can keep up!
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Maiden flight with the Modular Slinger was a success! Handled comfortably with wind at 7 mph. I was surprised that the powered off glide was much better than my Pinata Max. The two ounces of weight savings, combined with a 4.5 inch wider wing span (due to the modular center pod), made a bigger difference than I would have guessed. It did feel a little tail heavy, though, so I'm going to move the CG up 1/4 to 1/2 and inch and see what that does. It landed easily with just a little throttle; I'm sure the wind helped with that.

Ironically, I had more problems with my Wild Hawk (Easy Star clone from Harbor Freight). I set it up with a video downlink from my Optio. Only problem is, I mistakenly put a lower amp battery in it and it hit LVC on the climb out and nosed in. Sheared the nose right off. But at least I was recording. I'll post a pic of the damage and the crash video when I get a chance.

Chickenhawk, if you decide to build a Modular Slinger, I can give you some more details and pics of how I built the pod.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Sounds awsome Darth. I need to get me one of those Wild Hawks too. I think it would make a great FPV. I heard about them for the first time today at the farm. I now have so many new things to try and so little time and money. I wish I had never heard about RC groups!
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk
I wish I had never heard about RC groups!
Yes, there are so many planes that I'd be perfectly content not to have ... if only I had never heard of them.

Here's an onboard video of today's crash, as well as a pic of the damage. It's hard to hear with the wind rushing across the microphone, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the motor cut out just before the plane drops like a 26-ounce rock. This confirms what I thought at the time, that it was LVC caused by using the wrong pack that wasn't up to the amp draw of this motor.

Wild Hawk crash (onboard camera) (0 min 17 sec)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:04 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Sorry about the damage dude...

Unfortunately my aerial photography/video days may be limited.

In preparation for my trip to Hawaii I decided I wanted to take my nikon underwater to get pics while snorkeling. I found a tutorial online on how to make an underwater case for the camera and gave it a go. I used a vinyl shower curtain and some plexiglass. After $25 dollars worth of parts and a most of the days work I had a decent camera case. I tested it in the kitchen sink without the camera and it looked like it held up just fine. I decided to place the camera inside the case to see what the pictures looked like. As I had it underwater I saw "lens error" show up on the lcd. I realized the case was half full of water!!! I yanked it out as quick as I could. Pulled out the bateries and opened it up to dry. Put the batteries in later after drying but the lens no longer will record an image

Luckily I got in one last aerial video before this misshap that made the camera well worth the money. I flew out where we did the sloap soaring and got caught in some wind from the canyon with no enough battery. I lost control of the plane and it got away. I found it later and have the video and what happens. I will post as soon as I can get it edited.
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr