SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:15 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
it sounds like you need a large airframe for the equipment that you want to haul.

I think you may have chosen the wrong powersource.

depending on the type of A/P you are doing, I would probably be looking at a Large trainer, with a low kva, and a large prop. A higher amp ESC, and at least a 4S LiPo.

If you are in need of a pusher airframe, then the skywalker does OK, but is very susceptible to winds.

One other thing that I would look into is stabilization, I would recommend the Guardian 2D/3D from Eagle Tree. If you are using an osd, then I'd still look into Eagle Tree, but not the 2d/3d...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, KS, Buhler
Joined Feb 2011
46 Posts
Hi m_beeson:
Thanks for your answer
The motor and esc was a gift from a friend so i want to used it ; here is more details onboard will be a :
APM 2.0 . ( no to heavy)
MB1260 XL-MaxSonar-EZL0 High Performance Ultrasonic Range Finder.(5.9 grams)
Ardupilot Mega MinimOSD Rev. 1.1.( 4 grams)
Super HAD CCD Camera 1/3 Sony 520TV Lines (1.1oz)
3DR RadioTelemetry Kit-915 Mhz ( not sure abt the weight but it look not heavy)
Not sure about Video TX and RX still looking for solution( means low weight).
not sure about photocam and lens

Probably I will need a 2nd battery but not into tha math yet, maybe with a 11V 1600mAh it will be fine.
I'm going to take a look to the skywalker.
juanquy is offline Find More Posts by juanquy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,304 Posts
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=20900137&nid...&s_cid=queue-3
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:18 AM
United States, KS, Buhler
Joined Feb 2011
46 Posts
CoMe On!!! Drones are nothing, !!!!!!! look at this proyect!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f=discover_rec

NOW, what? LOL

Still looking for help here, need a airframe for my motor please!!
juanquy is offline Find More Posts by juanquy
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
FPV Hexacopter (4 min 6 sec)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've popped in here. Great videos Todd and M Beeson.

There is a guy in the powered club I belong to who is very interested in FPV, but would like to come down and watch a 'session' and ask questions. Would you guys be receptive to that? Let me know and I'll forward on some contact information.

Thanks!
Jim
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've popped in here. Great videos Todd and M Beeson.

There is a guy in the powered club I belong to who is very interested in FPV, but would like to come down and watch a 'session' and ask questions. Would you guys be receptive to that? Let me know and I'll forward on some contact information.

Thanks!
Jim
Syracuse; He's pretty close to me, and real close to Nate.

I'd like to get another fly-in put together soon.

That would be a good time for him to meet some of the locals...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:38 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post

Count me in.
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Great Thanks guys. He's actually in Bountiful but willing to travel wherever to meet up and learn. I'll send his contact details, since he's not on RC Groups.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
432 Posts
Quote:

Count me in... I'd like that very much.
BTW, awesome video from the Quad!
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:

Awesome video, this site has all the Utah threads for everything! What have I been doing on Helifreak for so long lol.

What FPV equipment are you using? Im looking into building a hexacopter real soon and there are so many options for FPV I dont know whats good and whats not.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Heres a video I got with my Quad and GoPro mounted out at 5 mile pass near Eagle Mountain in Utah county.

Flying at Five Mile Pass (5 min 4 sec)

And one flying by my place in West Jordan off the Jordan river.

http://youtu.be/HkRvYzl_n78
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Awesome video, this site has all the Utah threads for everything! What have I been doing on Helifreak for so long lol.

What FPV equipment are you using? Im looking into building a hexacopter real soon and there are so many options for FPV I dont know whats good and whats not.
Thanks

I am using Naza FC with GPS add-on

Range Video 1280 Mhz with saw filter upgrade in the VRx

Skewed Planar wheel VTx (mounted about 9" above fuselage)

Fan Stack (omni) VRx

10 turn Helical VRx

Chainlink LRS with halfwave Tx antenna (with lowpass filter),
and turnstile Rx antenna.
Last edited by m_beeson; Jun 22, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Welcome demonspawn78!

Nice to hear another Coheed fan in the forum! Saw them at Saltair a few years back, they rocked it up!

Watched your two vids. Nice river shots. Are you flying your quad FPV? Looks like you're just doing line-of-sight and can't fly too far away right now. You'll love flying a quad or hex FPV, it frees you up to explore and make really nice vids. Once you start getting some nice forward motion it'll really improve the "flying" feel in your vids.

I'm new to multi-rotors, but am finally starting to get comfortable flying out a ways. KanyonKris hooked up with me this morning and we went up to Stewart Falls. I flew about half a mile out, all the way to the top of the uppermost falls and it was quite a ways up the mountainside. Scared the crap out of me, I've never flown quite that high before. When I turned around to return home and saw how far away I was and how high, I got goose bumps.

With a plane flying downhill and coming home is standard fare, but with a multi-rotor it's a different experience and quite a bit more nerve-wracking. Climbing is so much easier than descending.

The shots we got of the falls are spectacular. Sadly, I forgot to turn on the GoPro for one of the four flights, so I came home one video short.

I've got over 30 good flights on the Quad now, and enough footage to do a really spectacular Quad video. I just need to sit down and dig into it.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:18 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
I can't wait to see your videos.

If you keep a little forward momentum, then you don't get hung up in your prop wash

& that makes the decentions easier.

I just put this together, It's a fun video.

Hexacopter Mountain FPV (4 min 15 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Welcome demonspawn78!

Nice to hear another Coheed fan in the forum! Saw them at Saltair a few years back, they rocked it up!

Watched your two vids. Nice river shots. Are you flying your quad FPV? Looks like you're just doing line-of-sight and can't fly too far away right now. You'll love flying a quad or hex FPV, it frees you up to explore and make really nice vids. Once you start getting some nice forward motion it'll really improve the "flying" feel in your vids.

I'm new to multi-rotors, but am finally starting to get comfortable flying out a ways. KanyonKris hooked up with me this morning and we went up to Stewart Falls. I flew about half a mile out, all the way to the top of the uppermost falls and it was quite a ways up the mountainside. Scared the crap out of me, I've never flown quite that high before. When I turned around to return home and saw how far away I was and how high, I got goose bumps.

With a plane flying downhill and coming home is standard fare, but with a multi-rotor it's a different experience and quite a bit more nerve-wracking. Climbing is so much easier than descending.

The shots we got of the falls are spectacular. Sadly, I forgot to turn on the GoPro for one of the four flights, so I came home one video short.

I've got over 30 good flights on the Quad now, and enough footage to do a really spectacular Quad video. I just need to sit down and dig into it.