My day just got better!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Todd, do you know anyone with a 'Moab' rig? Would be cool to see some of your wicked FPV skills take on places like this one...

trex 600 poison spider #2 (7 min 26 sec)

This is a heli guy from the club I belong to, he's flying without FPV gear, just a GoPro mount on the undercarriage. It's not stabilized so you get some of that jello effect. He also does some inverted, flips, and rolls, that can cause some motion sickness be warned. The whole time I'm watching I want him to take a pass under that natural opening in the rock, then scream down the cliff face
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,806 Posts
Yep, that's what we spent the weekend doing, stuff like that. In fact I think we flew in that exact spot on the river, but I didn't see that arch up on top until I got home and reviewed my video. I destroyed my GoPro2 going through a formation exactly like that called BowTie arch. Made it through the hole okay, but when I pulled up the plane suddenly snap rolled into the cliff. Destroyed the case, ejected the camera, and smashed it to little tiny bits.

Sadly, the video didn't survive... I don't know why!

Haha.

Time for a new GoPro. I'm taking donations if anybody wants to help me get back on my FPV feet! Any amount to sheridan.todd@gmail.com!

Shot quite a bit of amazing video that will never see the light of day.

Flew some other locations that'll blow your mind.

I'm going back for sure, and soon.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Ouch that sounds brutal . How do we get access to the private vault? Can't wait to see the mind blowing video, if they will be released.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:26 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
Moab would be sweet!!!!!

Over by Goblin valley would also be just fine!!!!!

Imagine Goblin Valley with snow and the skywalker just cruising over those freaks!!!!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,806 Posts
We were going to do Goblin Valley this weekend, but just didn't have enough time to get over there. Some day it'll happen.

From what I can tell, we won't be doing any National Parks in the near future, they all have the same thick-skulled licensing managers who freak out when they hear what you plan on doing. If you do it anyway and post video, it's evidence that would get you a steep fine.

If I had a sponsor who'd be willing to pay my fines, I'd be in there doing it in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure the private vault will be seen by anybody but the guys who were actually there. The stuff I can show is probably a week away from being ready.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
Yeah, probably best not to put a crime on Youtube.

And yes, I get why they dont want it, but man, it would be awesome!!!!!

And if you were in Moab, I am pretty sure I know what the vault stuff looks like.......

That would be a benefit of Goblin Valley, its a state park, and you could get lots of other great cliff faces and canyons in that area.

Hopefully you went to dead horse point while down there!!!!!! Ohhh please tell me you went there!!!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,806 Posts
We got within probably half an hour of Dead Horse, that was our target. But when we realized the sun would likely set before we got there, we turned around and headed back to an arch that McGregor wanted to rappel down. That was seriously awesome, and that's where I crashed my plane and totaled my Hero2. I made it under the arch he was dropping down from twice, but then went for the other arch which was much narrower and didn't survive the experience. Sad part is I lost the video of the first two arch runs. Very very sad moment.

Here are a few stills to hold you over until the video is done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:20 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Stunning video Todd. Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
...Time for a new GoPro. I'm taking donations if anybody wants to help me get back on my FPV feet! Any amount to sheridan.todd@gmail.com!...
Sorry about the camera. PayPal donation sent...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,806 Posts
Wow Mike! Thanks for the 2 cents! Hahaha!

If I get enough of those, I just might be able to replace the Hero2... in a year or two.

Oh man, my cheeks hurt from laughing, ow! Stop it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
--
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Here it is guys. The newest installment of Todd's FPV Nuttiness.

Birds Eye Video of Mountain Goats in a Winter Wonderland
Spectacular Todd. Keep it up.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,858 Posts
Nice vid Todd. I'm liking them more and more. That one held my attention all the way through
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:11 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Moab rig + FPV?

Are you kidding? That exactly the reason I bought a Reaper in the first place! Jeeping was hobby #1 for me, and we kept getting more and more cool footage until I finally thought, "it would be sweet to see a Jeep climb some of these hills from an overhead view. Hm, wonder how I could do that?"

I have yet to actually combine the two, since I just got a Reaper (my first r/c plane) about a month ago, but that's still the plan.

My getup:
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
Mountain? What mount..CRASH!!
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2008
131 Posts
Very nice video Todd!! (I can't believe you got the goats) Here are a couple cool shots that I really liked from our trip.

I will be posting my St.George video later today! (finally)

ok, it's later now.... I shot this with my single prop Hercules down in Snow Canyon (St.George) the day after thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy:-]
Hercules Flying Wing with GoPro HERO HD - Flying FPV In Snow Canyon Utah (3 min 28 sec)
cardo is offline Find More Posts by cardo
Last edited by cardo; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:32 PM.