HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
WOOT!

I finally got my GPS issues resolved. Now I can get it to locate satellites and lock on home in about 10 seconds.... from down in my basement!

Haha! Yes!

Now I can move on to the next step which is figuring out how to get my RTH programmed and tested.

I swear this stuff is like Voodoo magic! Say a few choice words, move things around, light a little fire, and TADA - it suddenly works.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
VICTORY DANCE!!!!!

I took my new plane out and decided to go for the gusto... I decided to just turn on Autopilot and see what happens. 2 miles out, 1000feet up, flick the switch and...

... plane turns around nice and gentle and flies itself home, parking about 300feet above me in a holding pattern.

Haha!

RTH is working, I can take a deep breath and have a little extra confidence in my system.

Now I just need to figure out why I can't get more than 2 miles without losing video. Scott has the same gear as I do and gets 6 miles with clear video, so I'm gonna have to start the voodoo all over and try and get that problem resolved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Todd, you got some nice comments over on the ATTF podcast thread.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Oh sweet. I've had a few people say that was their favorite FPV video ever. That's pretty dang cool! Thanks for the link FishJunky.

I'm super excited to get down to Southern Utah and do that again. Hopefully this weekend or next, if the weather is decent. I'm looking forward to seeing the flight that McG got down in Snow Canyon. Sounds like it was a beautiful flight.

I spent some time this afternoon cruising around at ground level with the new plane, trying to get used to flying around about 2 feet off the ground, adjusting my expo and rates so that I can stay smooth and not jerk the plane around. Dang that's fun. I could do that all day long... and plan to do so a LOT!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-HD-Hel...68660.m2000036

Act fast.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Maaan I really want one of those but tis the season to spend money on my kids instead of myself...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:45 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
VICTORY DANCE!!!!!

I took my new plane out and decided to go for the gusto... I decided to just turn on Autopilot and see what happens. 2 miles out, 1000feet up, flick the switch and...

... plane turns around nice and gentle and flies itself home, parking about 300feet above me in a holding pattern.

Haha!

RTH is working, I can take a deep breath and have a little extra confidence in my system.

Now I just need to figure out why I can't get more than 2 miles without losing video. Scott has the same gear as I do and gets 6 miles with clear video, so I'm gonna have to start the voodoo all over and try and get that problem resolved.
Sweet! Which plane is that? Do you have an IMU onboard? I have had great luck with my SW, but the wing is a little more troublesome.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:18 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Does anyone know where the local guys are sourcing their EPP from? I need to get a few full sheets to do a couple of projects.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Okay, so you guys want to hear an FPV story? Cuz I've got an FPV story (though some of it isn't mine).

So I decided to change my ground station around, start from scratch on the setup. I got it all set up and wanted to rush out to the field to test it before the sun set.

I pull in to the field and there's a silver truck there. Tables & stuff set up, FPV gear out, antennas, TV monitors... the massive expanse of stuff that is the Scott & Mike ground station.

But there's no Scott or Mike anywhere to be found. It's just sitting out in the open. So either they got arrested and hauled off for interrogation, or they both needed to do a #2 at the gas station and didn't want to pack the gear up, or... they crashed a plane and were out hunting for it.

Called up Mike and yep, they lost a plane.

How is that possible you ask, if the plane has RTH programmed in?

Well, the answer is surprising. While they were flying over the field, another plane showed up from out of nowhere, circling them and the field, checking them out. Scott had no issues, his plane flew fine, no interference, so they ignored the plane. Eventually it flew off. A while later it returned, this time the 2.4 ghz channel on the plane had been changed to Scott's frequency. Scott was over a mile out at this point, and the plane flew back towards them, on his video frequency. So naturally Scott got interference, then total fuzz, and then Scott's receiver started receiving signal again. BUT IT WAS THE OTHER PLANE'S SIGNAL because the other plane was closer. It looked like his plane had turned around and was heading back to the field, so Scott and Mike didn't know right away that it wasn't their picture.

Scott immediately realized that he couldn't control the plane, had no input, and Mike noticed they had no OSD. Haha. By the time they figured out it wasn't their video signal, it was too late to use RTH. So yeah, it looks like he may have had his flight sabotaged by somebody who intentionally changed video signals to match his. Either that, or the other guy was freaking out and losing picture too. Haha.

I went out to try helping them find the plane, which went down a ways off, but another pilot who had been flying a chopper in the area saw his plane go down and pointed him in the general direction. So they found the plane before I got there.

Is it just me, or is RC becoming congested in our area? Man, the chances of that happening even a year or two ago are just NIL.

Anyway, I got back to the field and got my plane out real quick, even though the sun had set, and decided to see how long I could fly with the PIXIM and still see what I was doing. Turns out, I can fly for a LONG time, even to the point that stars are visible and the sky has gone dark.

And WOW was it a gorgeous evening to be airborne. I swear, that was the most serene and astonishingly beautiful experience I've had flying RC to date. Just jaw dropping.

Here's a still from the video to prove it:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
622 Posts
Ouch... at least the plane wasn't in pieces when it was FINALLY found... The ground station recorder was worth its weight in gold! Was able to rewind and see when it switched video and the heading it was going when it did...

Lesson learned... throttle up and hit RTW when ever you no longer have control of your plane visually...lol

Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Dang!!!!!! So how is it possible someone else flies FPV over the farm and doesnt know about this thread........

I cant believe a guy would intentionally do that. Thats the kind of stunt that gets people shot.

Ryan............
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Wasn't me. I was busy crashing my quad in Spanish Fork today. 3 flights and 3 crashes and, I'm not on 2.4!
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
The Procerus guys fly over the farm all the time, even when we're there doing combat. They know we're there, they fly over us anyway. I mean, they're "big shots", why should they worry about what we're doing?

Last time they flew over us at the farm, I drove over to talk to them. They were parked on the road just south of us, literally pulled over and standing there looking at us. I asked them what they were doing, why they chose to fly over the field even though they know it's our club field. What answer did I get? "Tell your friends not to hit our planes, they're 30k government sponsored vehicles, and you do NOT want to hit them".

Well, dude! You're flying over an RC combat club field on a Saturday, flying planes that look just like ours!

My crap, they have that nice park RIGHT NEXT to their business a few miles south too.

Scott was not happy, and you're right about the potential ramifications.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
I shouldn't be flying either!!
United States, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Mar 2010
235 Posts
What Todd said....
Scooter33 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter33
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:32 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
Inter-flyer politics aside, that still shot looks gorgeous! I'd love to see some video from that flight. Can't wait to get all of my FPV gear shipped and set up.

I am curious, though, why Ryan was the first to get fingered... I guess I haven't been around long enough, he was seeming like such a nice guy
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan