HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:04 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Tod,

I can't wait to see the results of the PIXIM you picked up as well. I think I'll hold off ordering one until you've gotten yours to test out and see how it preforms should be easy to do a side by side with the KX-171.

Part of the write up I'd like to put together for quick steps on getting into FPV would include the following from page 38 of the current Dragon OSD manual. Good advise in general if your using a DOSD or another OSD or no OSD for that matter.

---------------------------------------------------------
Installing the DOSD+

For proper operation of the DOSD+, there are several guidelines that one should follow. This is in order to ensure minimal interference to the more sensitive electronics. In general:

• Keep the video transmitter well clear of the GPS module
• Keep the video transmitter well clear of the R/C receiver and it’s antenna
• Keep the DOSD+ as far as possible from the GPS module
• Keep the camera away from the R/C receiver and it’s antenna
• Keep the DragonOSD away from the R/C receiver if possible

Based on this:
• The GPS module can be close to the R/C receiver and it’s antenna
• The video transmitter can be close to the camera
• The camera can be close to the DOSD+
• The ESC can be close to the camera and DOSD+

One should also take care to:
• Use twisted cables where possible
• Use clip-on chokes for groups of cables
• Keep the servo and control cables as a group, away from the receiver
• Keep all cables as short as possible
• Keep ESC cables away from the video cables if not shielded
---------------------------------------------------------

Which motor do you plan on running on 4S and what size prop are you planning on?

Right now there is Zero info on the power-break-out board online. Its something that me and my Brother-in-law Mike B. have designed and come up with. After doing a lot of reading about Ground Loops and wanting to remove the wire mess and only wanting to use 1 BEC or Voltage regulator. Also built it with using 4S in mind. Currently working on a version 2 after making some minor changes and trying to clean it up a bit more. It cleans up a lot of the spaghetti wire mess and confusion and will allow you to unplug the DOSD and move it to another plane really fast if you needed to.

Mike K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Mike K,

Do you have that write-up you were talking about at the field, the one that discusses safe distance from VTX to RX? I'd like to peruse that puppy.

After flying my plane on 3S 3000 lipos at the field, I've decided I'm gonna follow Blacksheep's design and fly with 4S packs instead. I'll probably be using the 4S 3000 packs, or maybe even the lighter 2650 packs. I don't want to go the distances they're travelling, so I can keep it a bit lighter.

Also, where do I find info about that break-out board you and Scott are using? I don't see it anywhere. I may want to start using one of those to simplify things, if it's working properly that is.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:22 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
Awesome Mike. So your module is similar to the TBS power module? You plug your battery in, and it splits out 12V and 5V power lines to your camera & VTX? Does yours have other features?

Sounds like a good product. Let me know when you're doing a batch of the V2's, I can be a beta tester for you.

Right now I'm debating my power setup. Do I go with the stuff I'm familiar with from HobbyKing like the Nanotechs & Turnigy motors, which'll take weeks to get here, or do I order GensAce Batts & Exceed RC motors from HobbyPartz and get it here in a few days? I've got shopping carts filled out for both. Haha.

Turnigy Motor 35-42 1250KV

NanoTech 2650 mah 4S lipo x2

------- OR --------

Exceed RC 3020-1250 KV Motor (37mm x 42mm)

GensAce 2500mah 4S Lipo x2

I'm leaning Nanotechs because I trust them not to burn up in a blaze of glory if I crash.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:39 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Yea very similar to the TBS power module but I've never actually seen a schematic for the TBS module only read little bits here and there.

Just got the remaining parts today that I had been waiting on so I can build up a couple V2's in the next couple days.

I'm not a big fan of HobbyKing I don't mind for the Combat stuff. Looks like Scott's jumped ship and is only going to buy GensAce Batteries from now on he says. He's running 2 x 4000mAh 3S packs on his Zephyr I had original thought I'd run 2 x 3300mAh 4S packs but now I'm on the fence. There is less then an ounce difference between the two setups so I should be able to switch back and forth. I'd lean towards the Hobbypartz stuff just because you can get it faster. I'm not even going to get in the battery war...lol I run ValueHobby GForce 30C packs and haven't had an issue YET (knock on wood).

The Exceed motor Scott was running looks very promising (not sure which one other then its 1460kv) on 3S turning a 9x6 or 10x6 prop. Should work great on the Skywalker as well. After you left yesterday we broke the last 9x6 we both had with us and ended up putting a 7x6 on the motor just to get it in the air one last time. And it surprisingly flew the Zephyr with the 7x6 prop. Was just pulling about 10Amps more for level flight (required a lot more throttle).

Mike K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
I was leaning towards 3S myself... until I flew my Reaper on 3S and remembered that this isn't just a plane... it's a plane with an extra pound of weight than I normally fly.

I used to have a single 4S combat pack that I'd use when I had expended all my 3S packs in combat. And the 4S always SHOCKED me how much better the plane flew, how much easier I could pursue and get hits... and most importantly, how well I could get OUT of danger. There was so much more power that I could just rocket out of near-earth collisions. That'll come in handy when doing proximity flying, especially on the flight to the TOP of the mountain.

I'll still use two of the 3S 3000 packs that I have for those flights that don't require a lot of thrust, level runs. And use the 4S 2500 packs for those instances where I want to climb quickly. The batteries are slightly different sizes, so I'll just build the bay for whichever is bigger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:48 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
I've gone to the Gensace batteries as well. I haven't hurt one yet.
I'm also using one of the Rocket Series motors on my Reaper and one in the hopped up Supercub. I'm liking the motors so far.

HobbyPartz will get it to ya quicker and world class customer support. Every order I have placed has arrived within the week.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
LOL, I still feel like there is a lot coming at me!

Mike, Saturday depends on what you are inclined to try. I'm pretty good with anyplace. I mainly just want to get out. Antelope is good if we want distance, but the scenery is a bit boring. It would be good for the summit though. I was looking at Snowbasin on the way up the canyon last week and that is really sweet, but I'm not sure we can do it without permission. Cloud busting would be the ultimate, but there might not be any. Basically I'm open to suggestions.

Nate,

Let me call lynn today and see if he wants to fly tomorrow.

I'm inclined to gravitate towards the Huntsville/Eden/ Trappers Loop area...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:05 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Nate,

Let me call lynn today and see if he wants to fly tomorrow.

I'm inclined to gravitate towards the Huntsville/Eden/ Trappers Loop area...
Sounds good. We are talking about Saturday right?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:13 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Sounds good. We are talking about Saturday right?
Yep,

I was a day off. Saturday Looks promissing with the weather. We'll have to see how the winds turn out. Hopefully we'll get a chance to fly. I haven't flown in a couple of weeks, and I need to get out.

Lynn needs to do some test flights, so Hopefully he'll get out with us, since you know his system. I don't know anything about DOSD, so I'm worthless to him in that aspect.

I'll shoot lynn an email right now, and plan on talking to you saturday morning after we see how the weather is...

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:50 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
55 degrees and windy in the 8mph range on Saturday. Small chance of rain.

Post on here when you guys decide where you're meeting, maybe post GPS coordinates or something. I'm gonna be heading back down from Logan Saturday morning and may be able to swing by and watch.

I just got my DL online and heard that DL has been having real issues working with any other UHF system, even though they claim the chances of it conflicting with any other system is one in a million, the users online are saying it's a given. So I wouldn't mind just testing mine with Lynn and see if they conflict at all on the ground.

Scott was getting glitches when we had both of ours turned on, it went into failsafe. I'm curious if it happens with other users as well. We want to fly formation together, and that would be a dealkiller if the DL simply can't operate with anybody else on UHF frequencies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:14 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
MikeK,

When you and Scott got together, did you guys go through the process of hooking up and testing his OSD V2+?

I'm gonna start digging into it early next week, just curious if you guys already figured everything out and have it working.

Wow, this is high tech stuff! The more I read, the more I'm reminded of why I dropped out of Electronics Engineering school after two semesters and became an artist! It's crazy to me that I'm doing this stuff for a HOBBY!

Did you see the sunset tonight? The whole time I was thinking "I want to be up there flying around those pink puffy clouds, and skimming the freshly snow-covered mountain tops!"

I can see this is gonna be a very addicting part of the hobby.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have any of those tapered balsa elevons kicking around would you? I want to go balsa on this since it's not a combat plane, and love that tapered elevon Scott has.

FYI, I did my parts order from HobbyKing. I just feel better about the Nanotechs, went with the 2650 4S packs (two of them) to start, and one of the new D class turnigy motors that handles 50% more current than the HobbyPartz motors. Also ordered some folding props and other parts I needed, which Hobbypartz doesn't carry. It'll be a couple weeks before it gets here.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Oct 07, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:13 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Well I can confirm that my EzUHF is fine with Cliffs DL. As for two DLs I can't say. I bought a DL at the same time as Cliff.

We will keep you informed for Sat. Might be useful to pm me your cell so I can send you a text when we figure out what we are doing.

Nate

Quote:
55 degrees and windy in the 8mph range on Saturday. Small chance of rain.

Post on here when you guys decide where you're meeting, maybe post GPS coordinates or something. I'm gonna be heading back down from Logan Saturday morning and may be able to swing by and watch.

I just got my DL online and heard that DL has been having real issues working with any other UHF system, even though they claim the chances of it conflicting with any other system is one in a million, the users online are saying it's a given. So I wouldn't mind just testing mine with Lynn and see if they conflict at all on the ground.

Scott was getting glitches when we had both of ours turned on, it went into failsafe. I'm curious if it happens with other users as well. We want to fly formation together, and that would be a dealkiller if the DL simply can't operate with anybody else on UHF frequencies.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Last edited by chimaera; Oct 07, 2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:56 AM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Scotts Zephyr has the DOSD+ V2 installed in it. We had some trouble at the start it doesn't look like it will auto detect the Hitec Aurora 9 on the other end of the DragonLink. I had to hook the DOSD+ V2 to my computer with the ttl cable and manually configured it to get it to play nice. There isn't a Hitec Radio option so I set it to Futaba since the servo mapping was the same.

Still slowly figure out bits and pieces of the DOSD+ V2 configuration. The GPS is working like it should on Scotts setup but the Current sensor still needs to be calibrated and so does RSSI. Haven't tried to dive into the Auto Pilot or Return to Home yet ether. After all the flying we did the other day Scott ended up only putting 1100mAh's back into each of the 4000mAh 3S packs he was using.

I love this high tech stuff. I always dreamed of becoming an Electrical Engineer when I was younger. School and me just don't get along. Always been easier for me to learn hands on. Building circuit boards and olds and ends from old radio and tv parts. Modding Original Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation, Wii always looked at it as a hobby and has been fun.

I can't wait to be flying around the clouds period. I need to stop dragging my feet. Its great reading about all the northern guys getting out and flying there FPV stuff.

I have some Aileron Stock that would probably work. Scott had to tapper the Aileron Stock that came with the Zephyr kit. It sounds like he's only going to use Balsa for Elevons from this point forward even on Combat planes he likes them that much.

Mike K.

Quote:
MikeK,

When you and Scott got together, did you guys go through the process of hooking up and testing his OSD V2+?

I'm gonna start digging into it early next week, just curious if you guys already figured everything out and have it working.

Wow, this is high tech stuff! The more I read, the more I'm reminded of why I dropped out of Electronics Engineering school after two semesters and became an artist! It's crazy to me that I'm doing this stuff for a HOBBY!

Did you see the sunset tonight? The whole time I was thinking "I want to be up there flying around those pink puffy clouds, and skimming the freshly snow-covered mountain tops!"

I can see this is gonna be a very addicting part of the hobby.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have any of those tapered balsa elevons kicking around would you? I want to go balsa on this since it's not a combat plane, and love that tapered elevon Scott has.

FYI, I did my parts order from HobbyKing. I just feel better about the Nanotechs, went with the 2650 4S packs (two of them) to start, and one of the new D class turnigy motors that handles 50% more current than the HobbyPartz motors. Also ordered some folding props and other parts I needed, which Hobbypartz doesn't carry. It'll be a couple weeks before it gets here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:25 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
They made it real easy to calibrate the current sensor and RSSI functions of the Dragon OSD. Just hook it up to your computer and follow the prompts. You will need a watt meter. The auto pilot is a bit more complex. In a plane with ailerons and elevator or in my slow sticks case rudder and elevator, it’s pretty straight forward. Do the servo test feature from the onscreen menu. If your control surfaces make your plane go down and left (I think that’s the correct direction) then you should be golden (I’ll verify the direction today if needed). On a wing with elevon mixing, I’m not sure what direction they move, probably the same.

Dragon links playing together. Cliff, Nate and I flew out at antelope island. Both myself and Cliff were flying with DL. I don’t remember having any problems. That was with some of the original DL’s. Several things have changed since then. I don’t know if all were for the better.

Mike K,
I might be interested in one or two of those break out boards depending on the price. Let me know when you have some and what they will cost.
Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:56 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
Thanks for that info Ryan.

If this wing works out well and I can get RTH working, etc, I may be in the market for one of those Quad or Hex copter's. For FPV, those things are the bomb when you want to film something for an extended period. And some of them are even aerobatic! Yum.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
Glad to see local activity in FPV!!!!!

Some day the FPV bug will bite me again, and you guys will have spent the $50,000 in testing what doesnt work, so I can spend $200.00 and have it work, 1st time.....

I just lost patience with all the tweaking needed, and I am not electrically inclined to get things right on my own.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON