SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:44 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I've been busy with work

Sorry guys,

I haven't been able to get up to trappers this week.

Work & FPV Mods have kept me busy.

However, I have made some progress with the plane and ground station.

Here's the new ground station.

It still needs some finishing touches.

m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:05 PM
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Jan 2009
779 Posts
To all UFO FPV'ers:

My little vehicle back-up camera that I was going to use for my FPV camera died during testing yesterday (my fault...not the camera's). While it was working, I really liked the picture it transmitted - very clean and bright on my little 3.5 inch LCD screen - so I'm sort of tempted to replace it with the same camera, even if it was a little bulky. It looked similar to this:

http://winplus.com/usa/products/behindsight/

First I wanted to ask what everyone's opinion was on good FPV downlink cameras. I searched the threads for a moment and found that IBCrazy's favorite FPV camera is this one:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...D%252dWDR.html

I wish I knew the back-up camera's specs in order to compare more effectively, but unfortunately, I can't find them.

Looking forward to what everyone has to say.
monson987 is offline Find More Posts by monson987
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I'm still not ready for a fly-in

I'd love to get out and fly with you guys, but I'm not ready.

each and every flight thus-far is a test and calibration flight. I'm still flying in

close until I get everything working.

I got a flight in yesterday, and as with each of them I had made some changes,

and had to make some changes after the flight,

but even though I had some issues that are not completely worked out,

I had a good flight.

Skywalker Utah FPV (5 min 15 sec)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:26 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monson987 View Post
To all UFO FPV'ers:

My little vehicle back-up camera that I was going to use for my FPV camera died during testing yesterday (my fault...not the camera's). While it was working, I really liked the picture it transmitted - very clean and bright on my little 3.5 inch LCD screen - so I'm sort of tempted to replace it with the same camera, even if it was a little bulky. It looked similar to this:

http://winplus.com/usa/products/behindsight/

First I wanted to ask what everyone's opinion was on good FPV downlink cameras. I searched the threads for a moment and found that IBCrazy's favorite FPV camera is this one:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...D%252dWDR.html

I wish I knew the back-up camera's specs in order to compare more effectively, but unfortunately, I can't find them.

Looking forward to what everyone has to say.

I have been using the $50 540 line osd camera from ebay. I think Cliff bought one of the comparable HK cameras and they both look good. It is not my DX201, but for the price that is what I plan to use most of the time. I think that security camera is the same thing.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Jan 2009
779 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, Nate. I may go ahead with the security camera plan then.

Now to change the subject just a bit, what do you guys think about this mod to hook up LiPo to a Headplay liberator?

http://vimeo.com/25383083
monson987 is offline Find More Posts by monson987
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Dead Thread.

Darth, how did your herc turn out? It's not top secret anymore. You can talk about it.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I changed my mind and decided I wasn't up to the time commitment to build and experiment with a new FPV platform. Maybe in the future though. For now, though, I'm content with the Skywalker. It's ready to grab and go whenever I get the next craving to fly.

Did you decide to build one?
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
No, I was waiting for your report before I jumped in.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:40 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Update on my progress

I've never met most of you guys, but I figure I'd keep you posted on my progress.

I was able to receive the Guardian stabilizer, and with it I have been having some successful flights.

My RTH works great, and I was able to get a couple of good flights in, in the last two days.

My Emperex recorder has been having its moments, so I didn't get video of todays' flight, but I'll be sure to post a future flight.

I've still got to work out a couple of things, and get the tracking antenna out to test it, but it's comming together.

P.S.

Has this been the windiest year we've ever had, or is it just that I'm noticing it because I want to fly?
Old Aug 04, 2011, 08:36 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Windy and hot. I havn't flown FPV all summer. I did a ton in the winter when it was freezing cold. The good news is I'll be taking my gear with me this weekend to Nephi canyon so if I don't get too lazy, I should have a flight to post next week.
Ryan
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:45 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Windy and hot. I havn't flown FPV all summer. I did a ton in the winter when it was freezing cold. The good news is I'll be taking my gear with me this weekend to Nephi canyon so if I don't get too lazy, I should have a flight to post next week.
Ryan
Nephi,

That should be some beautiful country.

I can't wait to see the video.

Mike
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I figured out what Emperex was doing.

Here's video from yesterday.

I'm going through the process of recalibrating after
OSD PRO firmware update. It's always something, but
at least I'm finally flying.
FPV with my skywalker, and et osd /w guardian (7 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:27 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,035 Posts
Great flight. You are doing in FPV what I always wanted to, but could not get it done!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:53 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
I finally got some FPV in over the weekend. Let me just say, my skywalker has seen better days. I got all setup and ready to fly when I noticed that the tail had been bent sideways all night sitting in my car. I tried to straighten it but it kept flexing back. Oh well, just fly it. Looked strange as it left my hand and started its climb. You know, I never have liked the way the plane handles. It seems squishy in the turns. Flies great going straight but I have never been comfortable making low altitude turns. I did some basic checks, set the radio for failsafe. I did some close flights out and back. The plane flew awful. Return home wasn’t working really well but getting the job done none the less. Where I fly in Nephi canyon it’s desolate for miles and miles and miles and miles. I landed the first flight and threw in another 4400mah for a distant flight. The wind was crazy, blowing one minute and nothing the next which added to the out of control feel of the plane. As I changed the batteries, I noticed that the screws holding the motor were falling out. I had put hot glue on them to hold them in place but the motor was so hot it melted the glue. Oh well, tighten and fly! Launched, check return home and went for it. 40mph going straight out with a slight climb pulling around 20 amps. I haven’t flow for so long that I forget that this plane normally only flies around 20-25. I got 2.5 out and my half way capacity battery warning goes off. I turn for home and that’s when I see I’m only going 20mph. The wind now at my face was going to kill this return trip. I immediately got the “oh crap” feeling in my stomach. You know the find the nearest road and follow it so you might have a chance to find your plane feeling. I was still 900 up from my takeoff point so plenty of altitude. I decided to use the altitude as energy and cut the throttle to a 9 amp draw. I cruised back at around 20mph just dipping the nose to keep the airspeed up. I had plenty of battery left as I landed. How quickly we forget what our planes are capable of when we don’t fly them often. Had this flight taken place last fall, I would have gone at least 3 before turning and would have still made it back. Anyway, good times, no crashes just one bad flying plane. I have decided that it is high time the Reaper is dedicated to FPV. I want something I feel comfortable with close to the ground in a turn. The skywalker has never done that for me. The video of this flight is quite boring and bouncy. Not sure it’s worth posting.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:30 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,035 Posts
Great story Ryan, glad you got her back, even if you hate her.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON