SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Hi Darth,
I use a slow stick with CF in the LE and a modified landing/camera mount which I think will be changing soon. I get a lot of vibration with power on so I'm forced to glide for most of my shots. Another problem I have is my prop seems to always be in the picture. Ive been thinking of a couple of different things to raise my motor to get my prop out of the way. I like to shoot most of my shots just slightly angled down like this one I took of Provo Temple a few weeks ago. With the slight angle you can still see the tops of the mountains. The camera I use is the canon SD1000. Its a lot lighter than the old Sony cybershot I used to fly with.
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I love how crisp and detailed your pictures are. I want to be able to take pictures like that when I grow up.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old May 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Thanks Darth, I start each day with a healthy breakfast followed by a delicious shake for lunch and a sensible dinner and my pictures look great
Old May 19, 2008, 03:23 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Ha! So that's the secret!
Old May 27, 2008, 11:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I just ordered a set of Slinger wings from MRS today to make a flying wing for AP. This won't replace my Slow Stick, but it will give me an AP option for windy days and also let me video some aerobatic maneuvers. I got the idea from the threads below, and will probably follow fmkit's design in the first thread. Haven't yet decided whether to make it modular, like in the second thread. That would be sweet to throw it all into a backpack to get some backwoods AP in secluded areas.

Slinger for AP: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840607

Modular Slinger: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329195
Old May 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Interesting idea Darth!

I tried taking some video again this morning on my way to work. Stopped at our slow soaring location. Its a little shaky for most of the vid but is nice and smooth when I slowed the plane down or shut off the motor.

Beast over South Ogden (RC Aerial Video) (5 min 1 sec)
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old May 29, 2008, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Coincidentally, I stopped and did some AP on the way to work this morning, too. I figured I better stop and film while it was still clear, in case it rains the rest of the day.

Nice video, Nate. Looks like that new camera is going to work great. It was fun to see that sloping location from the air. It reminded me of a great day of flying. I wonder why you're getting so much motor vibration. Is your motor mount a bit loose or maybe the prop saver? Or prop out of balance? Camera mount loose?

One of the reasons I've been experimenting with AP on a wing is because I've wanted to shoot some AP up at Ensign Peak. It's only about 5 minutes from my office, so I have plenty of opportunities at lunch or going or coming from work. But it's been windy every time I've gone up there, so I've never tried the Slow Stick. If you ever want to meet there for lunch or on the way home from work, let me know and we can AP it together.

BTW, how did your video turn out from Saturday?
Old May 29, 2008, 01:41 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Darth, Let me know how that AP wing works out for you. I saw the same post awhile ago and tried to convert an old Zagi-X that I had lying around. I set it all up but instead of a camera I used a bunch of AA size batteries to simulate the weight. It was all good until I started checking the stall speed. It went into an unrecoverable cork screw. I still donít know if a servo locked or if my cg was so far off it was uncontrollable but it made me think twice about flying the zagi with a camera on it over houses. Let me know how yours works out. If itís good, Iím going to get a set of cores too! I think Iíll mess around with my zagi a bit more too. See if I can figure out whatís going on with that thing.
Old May 29, 2008, 02:00 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
Coincidentally, I stopped and did some AP on the way to work this morning, too. I figured I better stop and film while it was still clear, in case it rains the rest of the day.

Nice video, Nate. Looks like that new camera is going to work great. It was fun to see that sloping location from the air. It reminded me of a great day of flying. I wonder why you're getting so much motor vibration. Is your motor mount a bit loose or maybe the prop saver? Or prop out of balance? Camera mount loose?

One of the reasons I've been experimenting with AP on a wing is because I've wanted to shoot some AP up at Ensign Peak. It's only about 5 minutes from my office, so I have plenty of opportunities at lunch or going or coming from work. But it's been windy every time I've gone up there, so I've never tried the Slow Stick. If you ever want to meet there for lunch or on the way home from work, let me know and we can AP it together.

BTW, how did your video turn out from Saturday?
Cliff I would love to meet and fly at Ensign Peak. The camera is wobbling because the bolt that mounts it to the plane is to long so the camera is not tight against the surface and is free to wobble and vibrate. If I add some washers or something to shorten the bolt length this should fix the problem.

My video from Saturday didnt turn out because the camera was set to focus on the initial push of the button. Which happened to be the ground at only a few inches away
Old May 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Nate, should we plan to fly Ensign Peak next week? If so, just let me know which day you want to do it and whether you want to do it at lunch or after work.

Chickenhawk, I'll let you know how the Slinger wings work. I've been pretty impressed so far with the four flights I've had on my 48-inch combat wing. Fortunately, no corkscrews, but my camera is only about 4.5 ounces, so my AUW with camera is only about 28 ounces. That's how heavy my old Zagi used to weight with no camera, counting all the extra hot glue and tape and carbon fiber I kept adding to that poor, busted up thing. Because the extra weight of the camera does makes the stall speed slower, I've needed to keep a bit of motor on during landings to help counter that. It will be interesting to see if the flight characteristics of the Slinger are much different. I suppose if it doesn't work for AP, I've still got a a new combat wing for $22 bucks, which is a great deal, especially considering it comes pre-covered and with elevons preinstalled.

Anyway, here's two minutes of clips from this morning's sortie.

AP Video from a Combat Wing (1 min 59 sec)
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; May 29, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:57 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Cliff another great video. Makes me dizzy with all that spinning. Benefit of flying video on a wing is you can cut through wind.

Is the Slinger made of EPP foam? $22 bucks is a steal if its is.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Only the leading edge is EPP. The rest is EPS. Similar to my old Zagi.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:46 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
I cant do Ensign peak next week or the week after is a little too far to drive from hawaii.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 01:47 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Darth,
Where are you getting the slinger kit from? I might get one too and start fresh. My zagi has been rolling on me ever since I got the thing so a clean start might work.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 01:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I special ordered the wings from MRS in Sandy. They matched Tower's price so I got them for $21.99.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you if you had any thoughts on where to fly from when you take aerial pics of the SLC temple. I was thinking of trying on a Saturday and flying from a nearby empty parking lot (if it is in fact empty). Any thoughts?