SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by marshall5686, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2006
5 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
Sold
Night Ops R/C Night Flying Lights $40

Nite Ops R/C Night Flying Lights $40 Includes shipping to cont US.

New, never used.

Tim Cone of Tec Systems produced the Night Ops system a few years ago, Below is an exerpt form Tim on teh system.

The system is called "NIGHT OPS" R/C Night Flying Lights. NIGHT OPS installs on any airplane in just a few minutes, and can be transferred from airplane to airplane just as quickly. The system consists of 6 lamps and a power supply. The power supply can be placed inside the fuselage or taped to the outside if you don't have room. (I cut cavities in the fuselage of my foamies). Just remember to put the power supply and battery near the CG. Four of the lamps are flat (I mean REALLY FLAT). The flat lamps weigh 3.13 grams each and are .009" thick, .375" wide and 30" long. The flat lamps are attached to the wings with scotch tape. I've been putting 2 flat lamps on the top and 2 on the bottom of the wing. The other two lamps (wire lights) are round wires 3/32" in diameter by 12" long, and weigh 2.35 grams each. One wire light is taped on the perimeter of the fin and rudder (don't worry, they're very flexible) and the other wire light is taped around the nose (don't worry the "wire lights" seem to be indestructible). The power supply is .83 x .68 x 1.0 inches and tips the scales at 30.2 grams. The system runs for 8-10 hours on a 9 volt battery (the system draws about 85 mA). The lamps generate no heat or RF and are good for about 5000 hours of use.

That's it, plug in the battery, turn it on and launch on your first NIGHT OPS.

This setup has proved to be very fly-able. The combination of lights on the wing and perimeter of the fuselage/empennage allow precise recognition and control of pitch and roll. I know what a lot of you are thinking "Night flying, this must be pretty tough" I'm relatively new to r/c (less than a year) and find night flying with "NIGHT OPS" to be no more or less difficult than flying in daylight, just different. I have yet to lose orientation with NIGHT OPS!!! (which is a pretty big statement considering how recently I crashed during the day because of misinterpretation of model orientation--pulled when I should have pushed...oops.)

At the Visalia Fall Fest I let numerous people bungee launch my "NIGHT OPS" equipped DAW Me163 with no orientation problems. I also had a DAW TG-3 (that Dave Sanders was kind enough to loan me, thanks Dave) lit up with "NIGHT OPS". I won't mention his name without permission, but a very well known pilot was seen practicing his spot landings with the NIGHT OPS TG-3. The fact that he used Dave Sanders' hat as his landing spot convinced Dave to place aforementioned hat on the ground. This pilot has amazed me every time I've seen him fly, but spot landings in the dark with a very high landing scores (90+) on most attempts?????

This system is very, VERY bright. Much, Much, Much brighter than cyalumes. At the Banos Bash this last sunday, the airplane illuminated the slope as it flew over. You could distinctly see the hill being illuminated with the airplane at an altitude of 40 feet. "NIGHT OPS" is that bright. The airplane lit the slope well enough to shoot low approaches and touch and goes. The brightness for the lamps is listed as 19 FL or 65CD/m^2. I wouldn't know a foot lumen or a candela per meter squared if it walked up and asked to borrow a photon or two. The best way to describe how bright NIGHT OPS lights are is this; In my darkened room, with the airplane resting on the ceiling fan I can read a newspaper by the light of my "NIGHT OPS" airplane lamps. (I recommend turning the ceiling fan off prior to this experiment) I guarantee that brightness will not be a problem. If you FLY for 5000 hours and your lamps burn out, you've got too much spare time and I am jealous, but I'll replace them free of charge.
marshall5686 is offline Find More Posts by marshall5686
to remove ads between posts
Closed Thread