HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:54 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Great Planes Old Timer Sport kit

Has anyone tried a conversion of this kit?
If not has anyone looked at the kit with a conversion in mind?
I would also like an opinion on the feasability of adding ailerosn to this model.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:43 PM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
Rod,
I don't know much about the kit, except that I like the way the plane looks. Thought I'd just pass on the link to the GreatPlanes site. You can take a look at the pdf building manual and the plans at the bottom.

http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html
van-S is offline Find More Posts by van-S
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:58 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,516 Posts
Not too sure of the kit either, but I was tempted by the looks. I'm guessing that the kit is a roll of the dice. The last 2 Great Pains kits I built had horible wood, and the die crunching was just that crunched. The wood was VERY heavy, and IMO they use lite ply in all the wrong places. And as an added bonus the last one I built flew like a pig. No more GP kits for me.

Maybe you can get a copy of the plans from them. I know places like Sig sell just the plans to their kits.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 18, 2003, 04:57 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I am still interested in hearing from anyone who has converted an "Old Timer" or who has looked seriously at doing on.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:03 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Dear sir,

If all else fails, buy the kit, use the parts as templates to trace out new parts on contest, (light) wood, then sell off the original kit.

Let us know what you find out. I like the looks of the Old Timer too.

Best Regards, Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Feb 01, 2004, 07:44 PM
Old Dog ~ New Tricks
South Bend, IN USA
Joined May 2003
34 Posts
Completed and Flown?

Gentlemen (and Ladies)~

Found this thread thru Search function.

I've been looking at the GP Old Timer (Tower ads) for some months, now. She sure is a lovely shape... Mmmm, That sexy Wing! (Down Boy!) lol!
I'm aware of the probable difficulties with heavy or crushed wood in this kit (perennial GP issue), but my Main question is: Has anyone successfully built this kit to our most-demanding (lol!) e-flight standards of conversion?
Uhhh..... Have you made it Fly? ROG? Specific areas to lighten structure? And earlier mentioned aileron conversion? Can this conversion be successful on NiCd/NiMH cells? Tested and True motor/box combos?
I sure would be appreciative of specs and recommendations from any builder-pilots out there. Promise to read posts from those un-impressed, too!

TIA, all!

Dan Snider - Old Dog learning New Tricks
Crash 'n BUILD! is offline Find More Posts by Crash 'n BUILD!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 11:04 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Dan et al, I started this thread as I thought (and still do) this was a nice looking model. As you see from the limited action this thread got there was little if any interest, consequently I gave up any thoughts of converting it. I think Great Planes missed the boat by not at least including optional ailerons in the kit.
I then bought and converted a Rascal 40 to E power with a Jeti 22/45/3 with 14 cells and am very happy with the result. The Rascal is really good looking and a delight to fly. So for now the GP Old Timer is on the back burner and will have to break into the cue of models I have kits, plans etc to build.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 09:22 PM
Old Dog ~ New Tricks
South Bend, IN USA
Joined May 2003
34 Posts
Rod -

I like the cute looks of the Rascal, too. Sounds like yours is one Nice Ship (got pics?)!
But I won't let any lack of others' interest determine what I build. I build for ME! And besides, my heart is more into the "almost-scale" Classic Stinson-ish look of the GP Old Timer.... It's a Gotta-Do kind of thing!
Still hoping to learn more about the OT kit (materials suitability for use in cnversion?) and how she might perform under Electron Force?

Any comments out there? Pro or Con, I consider all opinions.

Thanks, all! Dan (<---- Old Dog - New Tricks)

.............and Crash n BUILD......and.......
Crash 'n BUILD! is offline Find More Posts by Crash 'n BUILD!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 09:29 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,968 Posts
Rod, Better be honest and say that no I haven't built the GP Old Timer but have built several very similar size scratch built models. On checking out the spec's on the GP site thought it seemed pretty heavy for it's size. I suspect that as mickeydee suggests all you really need is the plan and the parts as templates. I'd reckon on building a model of this size in at no more than 5 pounds absolute max. In this case the airframe complete and covered with servos in place would be around 2 pounds. This should leave you with a reasonable amount of weight to play with for your power system. A good old Astro 25G on 14 -16 cells will give bags of grunt on a 13 X 8 but better yet an Axi 2820/12 on 12 - 14 cells should be fine plus giving you a weight saving.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Feb 20, 2004 at 09:33 PM.