Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:10 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
I used monokote hinges on the flaps. Had never tried these, but David gave me the word on using them and I am completely satisfied with the freeness of the movement. Also, you have basically a sealed joint and no need to run tape to close it up. My picture shows the alternating strips I think.

Are you familiar with how to apply the strips?

By the way, I forgot to mention your winch there. Quite a neat setup. I like the idea of the wheeled cart instead of having to lug the dang thing back and forth out of the pickup bed each time you set it up or have to move it when the wind changes. I don't envy your rebuild on the unit. I have the responsibility of maintenance on our club winch, and in the dirt that is stirred up in its use I have to keep the commutator cleaned pretty regularly.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Mar 02, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Nice winch Steve, looks clean as a whistle and very easy to tote around with the long handle.

Gerald, Jack, looks like you guys had super day on the field. Yes, about the field again, very good size, nice and flat. Excellent pictures...thanks David! I'll get the best Oly shots and start scrapbooking something together as soon as GD, Sean and I get the wing tip shots in .

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:31 PM
Zoomitdude
Frisco, Tx
Joined May 2005
27 Posts
Guys, in memory of Paul Harvey, 'here's the rest of the story'....

Listening to the old man, you'd think we were giving lessons out there when, in fact, its the other way 'round now that he's got that Sky Plow. He's kicking OUR butts and making it sound like he's just lucky...well, gimme some of that!!

And that field wasn't always so wide open. While the old man can fly it like he stole it....its the landings that give him fits. You wouldn't believe it now but not so long ago there was a forest around the edges of our field. But, flight by flight, as the branches would reach out and pluck Gerald from the sky, I knew that on the next trip to the field, the chainsaw would be with us. Hence the 'openess' you see today.

Regards the build..looking closely at the wing, under the monokote the black spots you see are blood drops! So, when ya hear Gerald say he's put blood, sweat and tears into it...this is the real thang!!

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I hope you all have as much fun with the Oly as Gerald is having. No longer an easy mark..he's got us worried now.

David
davey1 is offline Find More Posts by davey1
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:42 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1
I hope you all have as much fun with the Oly as Gerald is having. No longer an easy mark..he's got us worried now.David
You go Gerald! Hey, there's some trees around our field also that could use the utimate prune job, sounds like yo da man . Congrats on your showing with the Oly, got a little R E S P E C T there .

P.S. Do you do power lines too ?
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:48 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Now guy.... If you're going to be cutting down trees you should at least replant them. With Balsa and spruce trees of course! That way when they're in need of cutting down again we can do the ultimate in recycling and turn them all into sailplanes.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 02, 2009, 02:14 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Now guy.... If you're going to be cutting down trees you should at least replant them. With Balsa and spruce trees of course! That way when they're in need of cutting down again we can do the ultimate in recycling and turn them all into sailplanes.
Brilliant!!!!! I would further that the power poles be replaced with wind socks.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:27 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1
Guys, in memory of Paul Harvey, 'here's the rest of the story'....

Listening to the old man, you'd think we were giving lessons out there when, in fact, its the other way 'round now that he's got that Sky Plow. He's kicking OUR butts and making it sound like he's just lucky...well, gimme some of that!!

And that field wasn't always so wide open. While the old man can fly it like he stole it....its the landings that give him fits. You wouldn't believe it now but not so long ago there was a forest around the edges of our field. But, flight by flight, as the branches would reach out and pluck Gerald from the sky, I knew that on the next trip to the field, the chainsaw would be with us. Hence the 'openess' you see today.

Regards the build..looking closely at the wing, under the monokote the black spots you see are blood drops! So, when ya hear Gerald say he's put blood, sweat and tears into it...this is the real thang!!

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I hope you all have as much fun with the Oly as Gerald is having. No longer an easy mark..he's got us worried now.

David
Hi there David, I had to laugh when you mentioned the blood inside Gerald's wings because my Oly features the same thing!! Good to hear that he is giving you and Jack concerns to read Gerald's words you would think he is battling the sky but I'm glad to hear that's not the case, he was just being a modest gentleman

Don, yep you gotta love a winch with wheels, they fold out from under the frame so it sits flat for use. Can't wait to let her rip again now its back up to full strength. We are luckier than Gerald at the moment because the summer rains have prevented another dust bowl season for us, and about time too. As it was the winch motor was chock full of muck.

Gee Sean's been quiet, the poor bugger must be flat out with work.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:44 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Yeah... Sean is busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger right now. We talked on the phone the other day and he told me his boss has got a lot of things going for him right now. Someone has to keep that landing strip looking good.

I think all of us have at one time or another given blood for our hobby. I sure know that I have. None lately but in the past if one of my planes didn't have at least a few drops of O+ on it, something was wrong.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:56 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Yeah... Sean is busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger right now.
^PSML

Sean has been busier than a one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad.

O+ yep, thats the true flyers blood for sure.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:17 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Astro Flight Challenger

I finished this up a while ago. I flew her for the second time today. Cabin fever is setting in and I am ready for warmer weather. Temp was a balmy 17*F with little wind so I just had to get out and fly. I managed a few pix today while flying with gloves on .

Build and more details here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944752

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:29 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
"Stand by for News!"

Mercy, me chum ratted me out!
Let me put it this way, if a tree is in the neighborhood of where I'm flying it magically draws my plane to it. This is (was) a constant fight for me. This summer there will be 3 fewer trees on the fence row at our field. Now before you tree huggers jump me let me explain that these trees are in the bar ditches next to the fence. They have been there for a number of years and are diseased and nearly dead. Very unsightly. I'm just doing the county a favor and saving some manhours for an overworked employee.

Ain't comradery great?
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,676 Posts
Quote>Ain't comradery great? <Quote

Nuthin better...

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:40 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Gerald, yes, we have a moral obligation to help nature along sometimes in a passive way, and I can't think of a better passive tool than your trusty chainsaw to rid the area of unsightly, dying trees that even a buzzard wouldn't nest in, you are quite right.

You keep on giving them boys a good fright with that John Deere Oly, thats it's job.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:44 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigley257
I finished this up a while ago. I flew her for the second time today. Cabin fever is setting in and I am ready for warmer weather. Temp was a balmy 17*F with little wind so I just had to get out and fly. I managed a few pix today while flying with gloves on .

Build and more details here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944752

--quigley

Quigley! - Love it!! Just read the thread. You see Don and Sean, you have been put to shame by Quigley, he started this Astro Challenger build back in, say about, 1921. So you guys are still rapid buidlers after all.

But just the sight of that snow there has made the ghoulies dissapear even in our summer heat. Looks beautiful all the same.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:45 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,912 Posts
Well gentlemen,

I have been extremely busy.......unfortunatley not so much in the shop. Work, wife's business and working towards snagging the new house.

Congrats Gerald. Looks awesome and sounds like it flew even better than expected!

Yeah, Jeff and I talked Saturday night and I ran my mouth so much we didn't get to the heart of the matter...........assaulting the swapmeet Friday.

Jeff, call me tomorrow during the daytime if you can. Hoss is chomping at the bit to get there so we should be rolling in well before the doors open.

Sean
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola