Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:47 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Yeah Wayne! And it even has 2 wing halves!
Priceless!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
One thing is I truly love my friends and I tend to reject anyone stuffy or boring. I can't think of anyone in my circle that isn't extremely entertaining, highly intelligent and certifiably nuts.
Sean... I'll have you know that I resemble that remark! I for one strive to excel in all of the listed categories, but I think I get my highest marks in the last one.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:07 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
I've been away for a while, mostly on business, some on sanity. I'm back now and lookin' for some wood. More on that later.

On a related note I'm soliciting input on a new radio. I don't want to start a religious war but I would like to know what people think are the best and worst features of their own radios. I'd like to be able to mix flaps and elevator compensation onto the throttle like I do with my DX6i on my DLGs but more channels may be nice to have. Having sliders would be nice but its not a deal breaker. I grew up around Futabas and I obviously have a Spektrum now so I'm not necessarily brand loyal but having to buy all new RXs would kind of stink. For the right Tx it would be worth it.
My inexpensive solution for sailplane radio and getting onto 2.4GHz is a radio like this with a module (Free Sky module in my case).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847266

You can do the same with older JR radios.

This approach allows us to continue to use our 72MHz receivers by using the older RF module(s).

Tim
2motheus is online now Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Lacquerhead,

First off, welcome back. I know how life can get in the way of our hobbies and it is always nice to be able to get back to the fun things in life.

Second, you are going to love the OneWinch. I will not go to the field without mine. It is easy to set up, works wonderfully and will launch any TD ship you want to hook up to it.

Radios, boy this can be a loaded question here on RCG. Lots of brand loyalty and opinions here. FWIW here is my opinion. Seeing as you already have invested in Spektrum gear and are happy with it, I would stay with it. A JR X9303 or X9503 would have every mix and program you would most likely ever use. The X9303's can be sent into Horizon for a DSMX upgrade making them as current as anything out there. If you still fly a combination of 72 MHz stuff and 2.4 then possibly look at an XP9303. As it is module based it can utilize both formats but it is limited to only DSM2 . All of these radios have dedicated sailplane programming and would most likely meet all your current and future needs for some time to come. The Spektrum DX8 would also be an option for you but as of today it does not have dedicated sailplane programming. Horizon has announced an upgrade for it which will include dedicated sailplane programming but the release date is sketchy.

Now if you want telemetry then the 9303 series is out and i think the 9503 is out also. Hitec, Futaba, and Sanwa all make great radios and you would be well served with any one of them but you will have additional costs in receiver replacements, but you already know that.

Good luck deciding.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 08, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Thanks Wayne

Thanks for the Rx feedback. Since I'm in no hurry I will probably wait to see how the DX8 firmware shakes out.

Damn, that's on purty plane Wayne. They sure did know how to design pleasing models in the 80's didn't they?
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I agree LH. The models of the 80s had a certain look to them. Maybe it's the lack of carbon fiber showing all over the place. Maybe it's the lines and form of all that wood. I just now that it's a look that I'm going to try to recapture with the ASP.

Progress is still on the slow side due to having to learn CAD as I go but there is still some being made. I had the fuselage pretty well laid out on the computer and wasn't quite happy with how it looked so I was taking a short break while I gave some thought as to what I needed to change to get "that look". Wouldn't you know it but the power went out here thanks to the wind!!! Can you say unplanned re-boot? Can you say new version lost because like a dummy I hadn't saved it yet? DOE!!!!!!!
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:38 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Jeff that was my era of sailplane enthusiasm also, back in the day, when a Sag 900 airfoil was the bees knees.

But I am also a little concerned over one potential detail of fashion strife; the dreaded clear plastic canopy that many kits sported, through the 70's and 80's. Now would you by chance, being a discerning and craft loving woodworker, be thinking of using the plastic?

atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:19 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
[QUOTE=scaflock;24370212]I agree LH. The models of the 80s had a certain look to them. Maybe it's the lack of carbon fiber showing all over the place.

Hummm....and now.....Flash forward to the twenty first century, a little carbon is in! and no plastic canopy LOL

* shameless plug for the S7

IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Mar 09, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:24 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
To me the look of the Paragon says it all about the classic glider days, the new cross tail jobs might be a lot faster but we were looking for lift and not a flying a rocket ship.

Ed did good with his design as flyers have been building & flying for them for 37' years now, quite a statment to make [ R.I.P. Ed Slobod ] and he sure did put his mark in the sand !!

Since the first time i held a piece of Balsa in my hand it has been the Magic wood, very easy to work with and perfect for building neat models.

So the combo of balsa and classic glider design it what it is all about, end of story!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:36 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
To me the look of the Paragon says it all about the classic glider days, the new cross tail jobs might be a lot faster but we were looking for lift and not a flying a rocket ship.

Ed did good with his design as flyers have been building & flying for them for 37' years now, quite a statment to make [ R.I.P. Ed Slobod ] and he sure did put his mark in the sand !!

Since the first time i held a piece of Balsa in my hand it has been the Magic wood, very easy to work with and perfect for building neat models.

So the combo of balsa and classic glider design it what it is all about, end of story!!

G Don
Naturally, I agree completely.

I will never forget looking thru the Tower Hobbies catalog, dreaming of a Paragon, but never having enough money. It was all I could do to scrape up enough for a Drifter II, and I built 2 or 3 of them. But one day, after working my first summer job, lo and behold I had enough for a Paragon. The order was placed, the kit arrived, and I will never forget the sheer joy, and utter amazement at the quality and size of it. I was, at that moment, forever hooked.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:32 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
The design, i.e. the shape, of the Raven is what drew me to it in the first place. I love gull wing sailplanes and the Raven was a perfect fit for me. The reason I built the poly wing was this is my first 3 meter plane and I have very little experience with aileron sailplanes so I thought the poly wing would be a good intermediate step to the full house gull wing. For me, having the ultimate performance plane isn't as important as having something I like the looks of. If I were a serious contest flyer I might lean more towards the cutting edge wing on a stick design, but I'm not. I am a nostalgia kind of guy, I like the look and feel of older sailplane designs. I have plans for a lot of old sailplanes, some go back to 1945, hopefully I will be able to build some of them before time and age get the better of me. Here are just a few of the planes I hope to build before I reach my expiration date.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 09, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:48 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Damn guys, you're getting my juices flowing.

Paragons: The Classic of classics. I love the way they fly.

Plastic canopies: Hate em. (Nod to Steve) I am gonna build another Sailaire if it's the last thing I do but I will make a solid block balsa "Hatch cover". I think one of the reasons I detest plastic canopies so much is messing with scalies. I hate them on those things too. They're just a PITA and they never fit perfect and I always worry about them. In fact, when I piled in my K-13, the one in my avatar, my first thought was "Please, PLEASE don't let the canopy be broken! I can fix anything else but I never made a mold of that canopy to pull another one. If that isn't broken I'm good to go!". After I recovered everything I found the canopy unscathed and I actually felt good.

Wayne, that is a fine bunch of photos. I still think that Cobra FF is one of the slickest flying machines ever conceived. Second up would be a Goldberg ...............ooops, brain fart. What's that huge Goldberg FF sailplane I'm thinking of? I swear I can't remember the name but I can picture the finest of details on it. I'll remember tomorrow.

I'm too tired tonight so my brain ain't functioning well. I took Friday off to finish my front porch and yard. I was up at 5:30 laying Teak tiles on my porch and didn't stop till the sun went down, not even for lunch. I got cleaned up, grabbed a sandwich and went to my son-in-law's birth day party. Had a beer or five so I plead old age and bad influences.

Speaking of odd acquaintances. I met a strange one today. I was at home alone, just working away on my front porch/entrance way project. Wife at work, digging on the radio and in my zone. I suddenly had that "I'm being watched" feeling but I blew it off. Suddenly I heard something hoofed run up my porch steps and I turned to find a "supervisor" looking over my work. It was a pig. Really. And not just any pig. This dude was "Arnold" from Green Acres in the flesh. He walked up on my porch, looked around and then took a seat to watch the progress. He had to be someone's pet. Very well mannered. He just sat there with his tail wagging and watching me toil away. I asked if he was thirsty and turned on the water hose. He had his fill. I then went in the house and got a scoop of the Veloci-Schnauzer's personal stash of Kibbles and Bits which he devoured. I petted him a bit, then he got up, walked down my driveway, stopping to check some smells in the yard, turned left and headed home. like a good old fashioned neighborly visit.

I took a photo of him as he was heading home:
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:03 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,680 Posts
And here I thought the guys Just had a 'favorite story teller! ___???___!!
And a picture to prove it!
I made a plastic canopy just for you Sean!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Damn guys, you're getting my juices flowing.

Paragons: The Classic of classics. I love the way they fly.

Plastic canopies: Hate em. (Nod to Steve) I am gonna build another Sailaire if it's the last thing I do but I will make a solid block balsa "Hatch cover". I think one of the reasons I detest plastic canopies so much is messing with scalies. I hate them on those things too. They're just a PITA and they never fit perfect and I always worry about them. In fact, when I piled in my K-13, the one in my avatar, my first thought was "Please, PLEASE don't let the canopy be broken! I can fix anything else but I never made a mold of that canopy to pull another one. If that isn't broken I'm good to go!". After I recovered everything I found the canopy unscathed and I actually felt good.

Wayne, that is a fine bunch of photos. I still think that Cobra FF is one of the slickest flying machines ever conceived. Second up would be a Goldberg ...............ooops, brain fart. What's that huge Goldberg FF sailplane I'm thinking of? I swear I can't remember the name but I can picture the finest of details on it. I'll remember tomorrow.

I'm too tired tonight so my brain ain't functioning well. I took Friday off to finish my front porch and yard. I was up at 5:30 laying Teak tiles on my porch and didn't stop till the sun went down, not even for lunch. I got cleaned up, grabbed a sandwich and went to my son-in-law's birth day party. Had a beer or five so I plead old age and bad influences.

Speaking of odd acquaintances. I met a strange one today. I was at home alone, just working away on my front porch/entrance way project. Wife at work, digging on the radio and in my zone. I suddenly had that "I'm being watched" feeling but I blew it off. Suddenly I heard something hoofed run up my porch steps and I turned to find a "supervisor" looking over my work. It was a pig. Really. And not just any pig. This dude was "Arnold" from Green Acres in the flesh. He walked up on my porch, looked around and then took a seat to watch the progress. He had to be someone's pet. Very well mannered. He just sat there with his tail wagging and watching me toil away. I asked if he was thirsty and turned on the water hose. He had his fill. I then went in the house and got a scoop of the Veloci-Schnauzer's personal stash of Kibbles and Bits which he devoured. I petted him a bit, then he got up, walked down my driveway, stopping to check some smells in the yard, turned left and headed home. like a good old fashioned neighborly visit.

I took a photo of him as he was heading home:
Sean, you need to write a book or maybe I will just take all your adventures from here and put them into one

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Plastic? PLASTIC!?!?!?! No way am I going to use a plastic canopy on the ASP. Hollowed out balsa block is how I'm going to go. Now if the builder wants to finish it so it looks like a canopy on the plane that's up to them. My feeling on it is that you're never going to be able to see it at altitude so why bother. How it looks on the ground is not as important to me as how it flies through the air!

EDIT: After further thought I will be heading down to get my passport and visa to OZ soI can beat Steve for even suggesting that I'd stoop to using a plastic canopy on my design!

Been enjoying the weekend doing another of my hobbies. Gold Prospecting!!! Great way to get outdoors, get some real exercise in and maybe make a little money at the same time. I'll get back to work on learning the CAD and getting the fuselage for the ASP done up tomorrow.

Yes... There be gold in them thar hills! Well in our case washes. Robi and I took the Munchkin (grandaughter) and the dogs down to the wash that runs through the property and started doing some testing in various areas to see what is there as far as gold goes. On our first test place we got four tiny pieces in two gallons worth of dirt. I still have to go through the rest of the samples today. We've also been finding lots of nice little garnets and black sand which are good signs that there's more gold to be found in the wash. Sasha (the biggest of the rottis) ended up stomping on a cactus and I had to play vet to remove the spines from her paws. Other than that we had a great time out digging in the dirt. The Munchkin is developing a case of "Gold Fever" already and is a quick study on what to look for out in the field. (Next thing to teach her will be flying R/C of course but she's a tad young at this point.) I'll try to get some pictures of the finds later so ya'll can see what we be finding. I really do need to build a dry washer and a recirc sluice system to make things easier (spell that faster) on the gold recovery. Only time there's water inthe wash is during the monsoons and you sure don't want to be down in those washes when flash flood comes ripping through it!
Last edited by scaflock; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM.