Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:34 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,670 Posts
Any body getting large format printing to work in the last year?
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:48 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
WOW!!! Cap'n those pics that you just sent of the Sarah are absolutly beautiful! I'm sitting here with my jaw hanging like this Thank you for sending them to me. Unreal, that is some program on that Mac. WOW!
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:59 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,670 Posts
The server was down- they fixed that, but haven't answered the big question- when can I officially post in public!
Thanks IHAV! to think, I've been working on Sarah for 4 years, It's really is her-small frame, fiesty 6 year old, and smarter than yer average school teacher!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
No Post for a couple of days here?!?!?! Johnny... Did you scare everyone off?

Due to life rearing it's ugly head yet again progress on the ASP has been slow to non-existent the last couple of days. Not really knowing CAD isn't helping matters either. Wings and tail feathers are pretty much done except for some minor tweeks but the fuselage is giving me fits! I can get the bulkheads in place but getting the curved outline of the body is driving me nuts. Now I know why I've stuck to velum and pen all these years. (Well freezer paper and a pencil in my case) A french curve doesn't argue back with you like these CAD programs do! I know it's just because I have not had time to really learn all the tricks in CAD, but I'm in a hurry.

One of the tweeks that I know I'm going to have to do is adjusting the bulkheads that the wing mounting rods attach to. (Side mounted wings here.) But to do this I need to know the optimum balance point (C/G) for an AG-34 airfoil at a 12" cord. Anyone here got any ideas on just where that magic point would be? Any info would be a GREAT help at this point.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:29 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I'll have to subscribe to profili again Jeff on the new pc, still missing it.

If you are like most of us you will want a rearward cg so maybe? start 35-38% MAC ?

Mate so much depends on a lot of other variables too in the plan.

Well, I am not much used to you with cad either! sorry. I am a pencil and paper man too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:30 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,670 Posts
I just got back from initial startup for a job- now I gotta figure out how to shave- before monday!I'm totally impressed with profili- very tight tolerances- check out IHAV's presentation!
I would say to stick with quarter chords - at least to start for CG points.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:38 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Okay, I'm convinced that some of the smartest people are in this thread, so I'll ask a question of the pros here (yes, you!), if you don't mind?

On the Oly II SX build that's nearing the point of covering, I'm pondering the best way to connect servos in the wing with the RX in the fuse. I've not done the "connector in the wing root rib - to the -opposite connector in the fuse" trick before, but am intrigued by it. I've done a few other variations on the theme before, but that's a new one on me. As I like to learn new things whenever possible, I thought this might be interesting to tackle.

Now, if the line of best logic is just to leave the wing servo lead extra long, so that it will go through a slot in the side of the fuse, then snake in to where the RX is, I'm fine with that. I'm not really interested in making this more complicated, but there's something to be said for slick engineering! Yep, slick engineering might add more weight than just a long servo lead, and potential areas for failure at the solder joint... hmmm, I think I'm solving this one on my own!?

Any and all ideas (brilliant ones especially) are appreciated, in advance.

I've looked through some forums, and found a variety of solutions, but I'd appreciate hearing this groups thoughts on this.

Thanks tons, now where's that glass of wine?

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:57 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I ended up using the thread it through the fuselage style on my modified Windfree. What I did do though was to make an access hatch in the top of the fuse to make the job a lot easier to do at the field. I had considered the connector built into the root and fuse but decided that was a lot more work than what it was worth to me at the time. The ASP will use connectors though because it will have 3X the number of servos as the Windfree and that's just to many wires to have to snake up to the Rx.

BTW... Tis looking good! What colors you going to go with?

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:03 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Rob, You'll definitely want to use these for wing to fuse connectors from the vendor of your choice... Tower sells them as does hobby lobby as well as a number of other vendors. Goggle is your friend. Multiplex six pin connectors will get you there! Also AK 79 makes some here on the groups. PM when you get some and I'll walk you through it, it's not hard to do if you have any solder ability. Once you use them you won't use anything else... Plug & Play! Do your self a favor and don't mess with cable extentions...PITA

* nice clean build, you've done well my friend...
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:24 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
I just got back from initial startup for a job- now I gotta figure out how to shave- before monday!
Just trying to help Cap'n.... http://www.gillettevenus.com/en-US/V...rid|1775324827

But remember what happened to Samson?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
I shall now climb on my soapbox and make a fool of myself (as usual).

I like the Multiplex connectors (per IHAVA) if that many contacts are required. However......................(here it comes)......................

This hard mounting thing is for the birds. It works well on mouldies when you have a rock solid, no give mounting but especially with woodies you need slack. I've seen more than a few gliders pile in due to flexing in the wing/fuse root joint. I've also seen some high end scale jobs go wacky when a wing came loose and walked out from the fuse and disconnected. One was especially spectacular.

I'll never again hard mount any connections. Not the most elegant but in my older years I'm all about building reliable.

Off the soapbox now.

Next item: Still waiting on the local network to post all of that cool FS action they filmed at work a few weeks ago. Nothing yet but will post when available.

Same with the day I was supposed to host a honest-for-gosh old skool rocker at work. Weather fell through and he was a no show. The gent that was supposed to do some sky diving at work was Alan Parsons (Alan Parson's Project, Beatles and Pink Floyd sound engineer) fame. I actually spoke with him on the phone but the day he was going to come in the weather went to crap.

More later. Going to bed early tonight. Have to meet my dad early in the morning then take the better half plant shopping. I completely destroyed my front yard (OK, I actually really enjoyed it) so now, tomorrow, I get to take the better half out for a hot date picking out new foliage for the front yard. We gonna get all up in some Banana trees, various other fruit bearing trees and miscellaneous ornamentals. Then , big Daddy gets to get down and dirty. The shovel shall be my friend tomorrow. Stinkpot! I need you here as my wingman as I do the green thumb shuffle.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:41 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Just trying to help Cap'n.... http://www.gillettevenus.com/en-US/V...rid|1775324827

But remember what happened to Samson?
The man does have a point here Captain.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:28 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,670 Posts
AHHH Cmon yous'guys! ya'll was supposed to keep this one secret!
Now everybody knows why I'm such a quick machinist- heckn's all that dragreduction programming gone to smithereens in one whole sentence!?
I aught a take ya'll across my knee and!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:34 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Wow!

* Drag- reduction, LOL
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Mar 01, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:25 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Thanks all for the great thoughts and suggestions.

Jeff, I hear you... simple is maybe best, but I do have a hankering for maybe a little soldering work - yes, I'm a masochist in this regard. The electrified HLG that I built -wait for it... a "LapDancer" (sorry Lil...), anyway it had ailerons and flaps and the connector setup that I had everything soldered to worked beautifully but I had to think extremely hard to figure it all out. Hurt my brain!

So, I like the idea of simple, but as I also plan to build a hatch for access, well, that's not too much of a problem. I don't really like plugging/ unplugging from the RX though. Thinking, researching, exploring still.

IHAVA... digging for further info... back soon!

Jeff, I'm not sure about colors -kind of leaning towards a more traditional Olive green and cream white kind of thing -maybe? I've not done that scheme before... just t thinking. I do want it to be visible at "altitude", and the dark on the bottom phrase seems to make sense here. Not sure that green would be considered dark. Also, I'd like to keep the open areas covered in transparent - you know, let that good frame show through sorta thing? Still thinking... any suggestions from the group are appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh