Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:10 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,919 Posts
Looking good there Wayne, what color are you going to cover the sheeting with?

The poly wing sure gives a different look to the Raven.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:34 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
looking good there wayne, what color are you going to cover the sheeting with?

The poly wing sure gives a different look to the raven.

G don
+1000
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Sean.... Check your PMs.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Jeff,

Sorry my inbox rejected your last PM. Try again, I cleaned out some folders so there is room now.

Still waiting for the local news to air the segment they filmed at work so that I can link the video on here but.............

Gonna take some pics of a guest that is going to drop in at work on Thursday. I'll post the pics if I'm allowed to take them and then I want to see if any of the old rockers on here can identify him. Jeff: If you don't guess right I'll lose all respect for you.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Hey Everyone,I haven't been on here in a while. It looks like I've missed out on some things.

First I want to say to Katie a belated very sorry about your loss. I just found out when I was looking back at all the things I missed. I met both you and Dory last year at our Fall Festival in Visalia.

I'll have to check in more often. This is one of the best Threads on RCG.

Steve,you really started something. I think you should get an award for having the largest thread with the most BS on RCG It's really fun to go back and read some of the stuff on here.

Well,I've been doing what this Thread says. "I'm getting a woodie-woodie builds". I just finished building a Mirage,that I call Mirlusion. Because I changed everything on it. I built a custom fuselage,lengthened it skinnied it and fiberglassed it. I built custom tail feathers and the biggest change I made to it was the wing. The stock version calls for a 3 piece wing. But I don't like the looks of a 3 piece wing and I'm always changing the things I build. So I made it a 5 piece wing,based on the Bubble Dancer specs with Darth wing tip Guru tips. Oh yeah,for you purist,I stuck a spinny thing on it's nose AUW 46 ounces ready to fly.

I took it out for it's maiden but didn't get very far because I broke one of the wing joiners when I was test throwing it. Bad JU JU! Hopefully I can maiden it next week. At least it looks good before I fly it

I'm also building a balsa build up 60" DLG called "Manta". Of course I had to bastardize it also. I wanted something fun to build and to play with so instead of building it with Ailerons (flapperons) I deceided to make it a poly wing RE DLG. I bought a pod and boom for it and I've built the wing. In it's bare bone frame it's auw is 8.5 ounces. That's the fuse two servos skeleton wing and tail feathers. All I have to add is the battery,rx, and covering. It should be fun to play with.

Here's a couple pictures to show there really is some building going on here also.

Take care everyone.

Eddie ( aka Hog)
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Last edited by hog2soar; Feb 20, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Looks awesome Eddie! I really, REALLY like the looks of that thing!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:06 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I agree Eddie. Looks great! (Just about like my Paragon only smaller.) I have always liked that color combo and to me it shows up great against the sky even when getting close to specked out.

Sean... As per our conversation earlier today I've been reworking the wing control surfaces on the ASP. Spoilers will still be solid wood but the flaps and ailerons are now built up and strengthened with Carbon. Due to the length of the surfaces I'm going to go with five hinges in each one. I laid out all the wing drawings on the floor and OMG this thing is going to be a MONSTER!!! I may have to do it in shades of greens and rename it the GODZILLA!!! If you can't see this thing at 2,500' AGL then you're surely blind as a bat!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:47 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I agree Eddie. Looks great! (Just about like my Paragon only smaller.) I have always liked that color combo and to me it shows up great against the sky even when getting close to specked out.

Sean... As per our conversation earlier today I've been reworking the wing control surfaces on the ASP. Spoilers will still be solid wood but the flaps and ailerons are now built up and strengthened with Carbon. Due to the length of the surfaces I'm going to go with five hinges in each one. I laid out all the wing drawings on the floor and OMG this thing is going to be a MONSTER!!! I may have to do it in shades of greens and rename it the GODZILLA!!! If you can't see this thing at 2,500' AGL then you're surely blind as a bat!
If you get the plans finalized and I'm not put on a deadline () I'll build a prototype too but (with your permission) I have some other ideas that won't gel with your concept for the actual kit.

Spoilers: I would use those new servo-less spoilers that just drop in the wing and plug in (Added cost but I think well worth it)

Dual Tow release. Explanation : Aerotow release in nose and releasable winch towhook both running off the same servo. Reason: I want to experiment with higher winch launches done the old school way with no regards to "contest rules". Tony uses releasable tow hooks on some of his SailAires and he can strip the last inch of line off a full drum before release by kiting it. As you know I don't give a rat's patooti about contest flying but kiting is a blast and you can get a glider waayyy up before release.

(Maybe) Landing wheel

One concept I've been thinking about on a larger D-tube wing is to glass the D-tube sheeting to stiffen it up but use really light covering on the open structures. I want to play with that idea.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:50 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Hiya, Eddie!

Yeah, it's been one hellova roller coaster ride. And it's only just begun.

I have a short kit for a manta. I really got to get on it, once the dust settles. Tell us how the poly wing turns out!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Looking good there Wayne, what color are you going to cover the sheeting with?

The poly wing sure gives a different look to the Raven.

G Don
G Don, I have gone round and round with wing covering options. I actually had one of the wings partially covered and did not like how it was looking so I stripped it and started over. I made a small 3 view plan for the Raven so I printed a bunch of those off and went and found a box of crayons and I made a bunch of color sketches I am considering. I taped some covering to the wing last night to see if my latest idea will work. I think it has promise but I have not committed yet.

Eddie, both Katie and I have Manta short kits waiting in the wings. Anything in that build you care to share with us? Was it straight forward or was there something that gave you pause? I must say you did a great job on that Manta fuselage, it looks just like carbon and kevlar. Ultracote is getting better and better at looking like the real thing. The Mirlusion looks fantastic.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Feb 20, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:48 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
G Don, I have gone round and round with wing covering options. I actually had one of the wings partially covered and did not like how it was looking so I stripped it and started over. I made a small 3 view plan for the Raven so I printed a bunch of those off and went and found a box of crayons and I made a bunch of color sketches I am considering. I taped some covering to the wing last night to see if my latest idea will work. I think it has promise but I have not committed yet.

Eddie, both Katie and I have Manta short kits waiting in the wings. Anything in that build you care to share with us? Was it straight forward or was there something that gave you pause? I must say you did a great job on that Manta fuselage, it looks just like carbon and kevlar. Ultracote is getting better and better at looking like the real thing. The Mirlusion looks fantastic.

Wayne
Wayne and Katie,I built the Manta wing also from the short kit. No problems what so ever. Well I take that back. When I printed the plans they didn't come out to scale. So I just hand drew over the printed plans and made them to scale.

I just like changing things and I didn't want to mess with flapperons so that's why I built a poly wing out of it. I don't know how it's going to fly,but it's not going to be used for any contest flying. Just something to throw around.

Katie,hang in there. God will guide you.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:10 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,555 Posts
What a build season! I was snuggled up with my favorite game, listening to roof pop crack and rumble in 35-45 mph gusts with-5 degrees. came up with this. now I need to finish'er up!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
servo-less spoilers

Sean, do tell more!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
Cap! You better put a wing and tail on the other side or you're just gonna fly in circles!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,555 Posts
I don't wanna! I'm a Nascar nut!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!