Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Great woody actionings! this weekend we load up the ute and head north to fly thermal a bit, winch and histart. But this time I will re-test all the servo's before en-uting.

Chances are something will go terribly wrong and it will make for some reading.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Since I'm going to replace them both (and burn the Hi-Tec junkers) I'll open up the wings today and get the exact model # off them. I had to go with them at the time because they were the only ones I could find that would fit into those thin Windfree wings. Even at the root the Windfree has some pretty thin wings and having enough strength to move and hold those full span flaperons in position was a concern.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
HS125MG's are pretty cheap on feebay Jeff, really thin too. Well, mine have outlived three very destroyed composite slope gliders, a Discus scaley and just keep working perfectly and ya can't ask more than that.

Once, I had a JR and Hitec servo component graveyard that would not have been out of place in some remote corner of Arizona. Between the lot of us we could maybe open up some kind of online wrecking yard for servo components. Free shipping!!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well those are the exact servos I've been talking about here. Hi-Tec HS125-MG. Both of them were bought from the same dealer and both of them have had the limiting pots go to pot on me. If I had crashed the plane I could understand them going wonky on me but there is no excuse for them going bad like this. Sean will remember that when I got them one of them was bad and I had to send it in for repair. Now this was fresh out of the box. I think I'm going to check some of the other brands out there and see if I can find a couple of them that are the same size or maybe a tad smaller. I can't go larger do to space restrictions in those thin wings. I'll let ya'll know what I come up with. If I can't find replacements from another company I guess I'll have no choice but to order in a pair of new ones by Hi-Tec.

I did some checking and found some replacements from Aloft hobbies that are almost a perfect match size wise. They're also $10 less than the going price for the HS125mg servos! I figure $20 saved is a roll of MoneyKote!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Yep, I remember when you bought them at the Perry meet Jeff. You experienced the same problems I did. At the same time, I know lots of guys that have used them with zero problems (Steve confirms this). I was told by someone that there was like a month long production run of them that had problem pots. I suspect you and I got ours from the same lot.

Advertise on here to see if someone has a couple of used ones or some JR 168s which are physically identical to them. From my experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy them used since they've been tested. Even with a little slop in the gear trains it wouldn't be enough to make a difference on that airplane.

On the subject of servos: I've known guys that would put new servos in a beater plane and run the crap out of them before they would install them in a new airframe.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,299 Posts
Spoilers, revision two, are under granite. I don't have a vacuum bag setup, so I'm improvising. I noticed that there was air and delamination in some areas that no amount of rubbing/burnishing could completely tame, so I put a towel between the waxed Mylars containing the parts and the granite slabs. I assume that the fabric will deform and conform to the slightly upsy and downsy shape of the spoilers where the carbon backing strips are.

That's about all the woody stuff I'm going to do tonight. Maybe more tomorrow. I should get busy on the GL repairs, too.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
We interrupt this thread for the following announcement.......

Well I've been back at the design board working on the fuselage for the ASP project. Over all length came in at 6' 1" and I have most of the drawing done. I just need to add some of the interior structure details and it will be ready for me to start working up a materials list for prototyping. There will be three servos (NOT HiTec) in each wing (Ailerons, Flaps and Spoilers) along with up to three in the forward fuselage. (Rudder, Elevator, Tow-release (optional)) and since it's being designed for XC flying I included room for a monster sized Rx battery pack. Nose block will be drilled out for balancing weight to be as far forward as possible. Tail boom has cut-outs like those on the Riser 100 and Windfree to lighten it up as much as possible.

I've included a landing gear in the drawing but I don't think I'm going to include it in the prototype. As it stands right now it would prevent me from setting up a ballasting system the way I like to do them. The ballast area is large enough for as much as 4-5 pounds of lead.I doubt it would ever need that much but the room is there if it is needed. I have no doubt that the wings will be able to support that much weight with the solid carbon spars and full span webs.

As it stands right now I am thinking that the entire RTF weight should be about 75-80 Oz. with out any ballast installed. Of course this is a rough estimate. I'm going to have to really watch the glue/epoxy use to keep the weight as low as possible. This entire project would not have been possible without the help and input of many of you here on this thread. Granted the entire design has so far been done by the T.L.A.R. method but I would think that after 40+ years of building with balsa I should have a pretty good idea as to how things should go.

...We now return you to our regular programming......
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,590 Posts
and programming it is!
I'm wonderin' have any of ya'll seen 'Flight' yet? WOW- it has Everything in that flick! I'm only gonna spoil it enough to say it is far worth (full) price!
anyway, within the Beta testing gone wild, I'm up for a breath of fresh air, and got a bit of balsa done- exceptin' not during the last movie!
I even came up with a reason to stick with Sailplane mode!- My newest propellor!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:16 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Hey Cap, no never heard of that flick yet but quick squiz says it looks the real goods! well what more can you expect from a bloke and his frau who live on a very quiet beach and has no TV, at all!

Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:06 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,590 Posts
You mean as in Zero TV- only balsa wood and- and!--
So I need you folk's opinion here- If'ns Sarah is a one and only then no discussion- but if'ns the population wants a kit- then-- the question.
I don't care of what ever opinion of the fuse cross sections. This is the way it will be. This could be a fire starter with all the planing/sanding to finish. I have not yet done the outside ellipse, I'm laying out the border/bulkhead materials. The base- bottom, will be light ply, 1/8" and the top turtledeck will start as 3/16"- 4mm for Steve! then sanded to smithereens. I could go 1/8" on the T deck, but wont get my desired final lines. here's a tease thus far.
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:50 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Lookin' good Captain!
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
Boy, Saturday night 9 PM, and not much story telling in this thread. I've been working on a Quadcopter. Don't shoot me - I know a bunch of you have guns. Anyway the Quad is way cool. Lots of learning. Here's a couple of pics...

Piper J3

------
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:27 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,299 Posts
Slap a camera and some odd electronics on it and go FPV.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:26 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,299 Posts
Radian decided to try going propless today, and tossed the prop somewhere in the marsh. :headwall: Still out there.

Glad I had a spare at home!

Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:44 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Hey Piper

That quad ' thing -a - ma- bob ' looks like it would be harder to fly than a copter?

And cost a few bucks to fix the busted parts

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don