ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
wait, it snows in AZ Jeff, see ya in the summer

Al

native Californian only seen snow at ground level 3 times in 62 years!!!
I'm 6 years younger than you Al but my snow score is about the same.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:11 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
We're long overdue for some more.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
My snow score was not quite that low, but low... until I moved to NM and Amarillo... First year, no snow. Second year... several snows over a foot... ... It was probably pretty comical for anyone following me around while looking to buy a snow shovel right after the first one...

Darth Unprepared... AKA Darth NOTaBoyScout...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
My snow score was not quite that low, but low... until I moved to NM and Amarillo... First year, no snow. Second year... several snows over a foot... ... It was probably pretty comical for anyone following me around while looking to buy a snow shovel right after the first one...

Darth Unprepared... AKA Darth NOTaBoyScout...
Power outages, no gas, grocery stores closed? I'm your man.

Snow? can't help you there.

Ice? Only good for use in adult beverages.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
We're long overdue for some more.
That's like saying I'm long overdue for a vasectomy.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,504 Posts
Schrederman,

I noticed that you were trying to sell a little carbon and fiberglass over in the for sale section. Nice looking mixture by the way. But the real question is what are you making room for? More beautiful wooden wonders or more black gold?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yes folks it does snow in Arizona. Even this close to the border which is a mere ten miles away. Didn't get as much as they were saying we were going to but it's still pretty darn cold out there right now. Shop it going to be cold as a well diggers in the Klondike till at least noon.

I've decided that the third repair job will be on the "Timex" Windfree. No offense Hoss but the Riser is just another RES in my book and I have that covered with the Paragon. (Which is sooo much more impressive in the air IMHO) My Riser 100 took the most abuse on the trip out and really needed a complete recovering job before the move anyway. That metallic plum monokote never wanted to stay tight for some reason so I'm thinking new colors and some mods while I've got it naked are called for. I want to rework the nose to a more pleasing shape , lighten the tail and get rid of the cantilevered rudder, and add some flaps to the inner panels.. I'm going to get rid of the pull string system for the spoilers and go to direct servo control for them So it will be undergoing as much cosmetic surgery as an aging movie star trying to keep her looks.

The Windfree on the other hand will give me a ship with R/E and Flaperons which will be better on the slopes around here. The only mod it will need is to install a ballast mounting system at the CG. The way the wind kicks up around these parts I feel it would be a good idea to be able to increase the loading if needed. I'm not worried about extra weight with those wings. The solid carbon spars have already proven themselves to be much stronger than the stock configuration. So a good cleaning, install the ballasting system, and install the radio gear back into her and she'll be ready to go. With the thin airfoil that Mark used on the design the Aileron response should be crisp and add a lot to what she'll be able to do on a slope. (Keep in mind it's been about 8 years since I had a chance to do any slope flying so I may be a bit crusty and rusty on some of the fancier aerobatic moves.)
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Schrederman,

I noticed that you were trying to sell a little carbon and fiberglass over in the for sale section. Nice looking mixture by the way. But the real question is what are you making room for? More beautiful wooden wonders or more black gold?

Wayne
...Uuuhhh.... BOTH!!!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Looks like the R/C Gods have made my decision for me. I spent all day cleaning and tightening the Windfree and when I hooked up the radio gear for testing I found I've got a bad servo. Now... if it was a std servo that would be no problem at all as I could just find the box of extras I've got and swap it out. However it just happens to be one of the servos for the Flaperons which means it's that skinny Hi-Tec one and I don't have any spares of that model. So it's on the shelf so to speak until I can get a replacement. So the Riser 100 got the face lift and the receiver installed and it's all testing out fine. Metallic Plum MoneyKote got a couple of holes melted in it as I was tightening it up and now I'm going to have to call it "Patches Jr". I don't think I'm going to be using the metallic MoneyKote again unless it's as a solid covering. Splicing it at the spars with transparent over the open areas of the wing just don't work for me it seems. Doesn't bond well. At least I was able to get it into flyable condition. May not be pretty as it was but it will fly.

Other things I got done include re-stringing the spoiler lines on the Paragon with Spider-Wire and making some minor mods to the system to make setup at the field easier. Now if I can just get the weather and find a route up to the top of the bowl across the road I'll be set. It may not be "Thermal Therapy" but it's flying!!!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,655 Posts
Behold the powers of the Hoss! I did that!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! Yeah... This from the guy that thermals naked! ( A sight I NEVER want to have to see in person) I need to look and see if Futaba makes a servo like the high-tec ones I used in the Windfree. I'm not liking the High-Tec ones as I've had nothing but problems with them.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
ROFLMAO!!! Yeah... This from the guy that thermals naked! ( A sight I NEVER want to have to see in person) I need to look and see if Futaba makes a servo like the high-tec ones I used in the Windfree. I'm not liking the High-Tec ones as I've had nothing but problems with them.
If you're talking about the HS 5125s Jeff (JR 168 clone) then yep, junk. There are a lot of cheaper, reliable servos out there nowadays that will do the flaperons just fine.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:33 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
If you're talking about the HS 5125s Jeff (JR 168 clone) then yep, junk. There are a lot of cheaper, reliable servos out there nowadays that will do the flaperons just fine.

funny, I have used those 5125's in my E-Ava, and my Grafas with no problems at all for over two years Jeff what Hi-Tec servo are you using?

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Al,

I may have had a bad run but I bought 6 a few years ago. Every single one smoked the pot during a very minor surface bind. I sent them back to the factory where they repaired them under warranty. Tried them again and didn't get more than an hour's use out of them.

I'll state here that even the best stuff can experience a bad batch but this experience spooked me.

FWIW: I have tons of HiTec servos that have given me nothing but perfect service. The 5125s were all junk but I will admit it may have been a fluke.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
BoT repair update: I have the spoilers cut and are soaking into a new overcoat of lite fiberglass. Dunno if it's needed, I used what's on-hand -- 3/32" balsa. With the glass and the thin CF stiffeners on the bottom they'll hold.

Tomorrow I'll be at the SBSS meeting, so Thursday, hopefully, I'll put in the accessories for the spoilers; the frames, the supports, and the servo rails. I might also start cleaning the WHITE GLUE (yuck!) off the ribs, and prep them for the new skin. I'll crimp and run the servo wires before I add the skin.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot