Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:42 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well I'd like to at least have a chance to get the planes ready to go ( for those of you making international flights) and bust the cherry on these slopes to make sure they fly well. Not to mention that I have to find ways up to the tops of them. What I"m liking is that they each face a different direction so no matter what the wind is doing, one of them should be flyable.

With the wind strength and direction we've had today that DS slope may have been able to set a record or two with the right ship. The bowl would have also been great for a heavier ship that can handle gusts well. As it stands right now, we could be flying EP sailplanes here with little to no problem.(I will be fixing up the E-Paragon soon) It's going to take some major work to get an area cleared for launching with high-start or winch. I'd also have to suggest that you practice your hand catches as it's rock city around here. (Both the ground and the music choices ) The only other way I can see landing here without some major improvements would be to set up a recovery net like they use for some of the drones. should be easy to make and effective.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:48 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
For you birders out there:

Whiffling Geese in Slow Motion (1 min 59 sec)

Nice area, Jeff!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:42 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I don't have it!

"I don't got it!"

Kinda brings chills, doesn't it? Worse if it's your plane. Heh.

I was flying my Gentle Lady with the guys this morning when I decided that I didn't like the stabilizer as sensitive as it was, and I turned the gain down some. I *think* that's the root cause, something wrong with the gyro. But anyways, I had fine wiggle on the ground, and when I launched, I found myself veering farther and farther to the left, and i couldn't get it to go straight. Thinking it was a reversed servo, I tried hard left, but I had no response. That is when I uttered those chilling words: "I don't have it! I have no rudder." The elevator was working just fine, though. Since the plane was going away from me, I flipped it upside down and turned it around, but that trick wasn't going to last much longer, I was coming down off from pop-off altitude. More flips and funny dives, and other odd moves, all trying to get it turned around, without contacting the power lines it was headed for. I avoided those, and had to make a decision: should I let the gyro have it, and try to let it land safely, somewhere I'll never find, or should i dump it in that handy camphor tree right... about.... there. I tried to dump it.

I missed.

I missed by only 20 feet, really. It was a good shot, for a panic move, far away, without reference to where I was in relation to the house. Anyways, the plane came down with an audible sound, so we knew it was most likely in the street or on the sidewalk -- exactly what I wanted. There is a busy street not far from where I supposed it would have landed, and that's the last thing I needed. Rich and I got to the plane, expecting wreckage, and were astonished to find it in only two pieces: the wing and the fuse. I didn't get off entirely lucky, though. The wing has a separation at the poly joint TE, and a crack in the sheeting near the mid-wing, and the servos pushed their trays all the way forward. I cracked and lost a servo horn, I need to check those two, and the rear fuse former and wing hold-down peg are missing entirely, probably rocketed at mach 2 when the rubber bands, also missing, failed. Bless rubber bands! The lucky clover on the canopy gave up the last of it's luck, and broke in two as well. I will need a new canopy.

Not bad for a control-less dive from altitude.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:29 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
268 Posts
Ouch ! .. I'm sorry that you had a problem with the Gentle Lady. They're resiliant beasts and I'm sure she'll live again. We just redid Lucille's GL in her favorite team colors.
jrs_123 is offline Find More Posts by jrs_123
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:52 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I'm not much of a sports fan, but that looks nice!

It'll take me a little bit to figure out the missing piece, but it's a cinch rebuild.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Gotta say a GL is still about the best bang for the buck out there. That's what I taught my wife on.

Get her back together Katie!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
I really want to get some stick time on my converted Sophisticated Lady this summer. I put the tail back down on the bottom like the GL and it flies nice, but I just haven't given her much airtime. I fell under the spell of the Radian...
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
I really want to get some stick time on my converted Sophisticated Lady this summer. I put the tail back down on the bottom like the GL and it flies nice, but I just haven't given her much airtime. I fell under the spell of the Radian...
It'll be OK Hoss, we'll get you away from that nasty foam soon enough.

Call me when you can about next weekend.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:38 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Hi IRS

I really like your GL trim job done in the Steelers colors, very nice detail work

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yeah.... The GL is a tough design. I think they should have named it "The Timex" instead. With all the abuse they've been but through over the years since its release they are worthy of the "Timex" designation. Be you a noob or an old pro, they are always a lot of fun to fly. Give her a balsa transplant and a few skin grafts and she will live to fly again Katie.

Today I'm going to start taking measurements so I can draw up some plans for the new building/repair area in the shop. The nice thing about htis little project is that Robis' sons are both cabinet makers. I should end up with PLENTY of storage. I'm thinking that I'm going to do the top of it as a dual use area, Make it so it can be inclined for use as a drafting board for penning new designs as well as level for building on. In the area I"m thinking of using there is already a sink at one end as well as a couple of windows for natural light. I'll get something drawn up over the next day or two and will post it for every ones input.

Right now I don't know which I am more in need of. Thermal therapy or some major building time.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I have the BoT higher on the to-do list; I want to start flying in the RES division. Next is the Spirit E so I can try Open Fledgling. Watch out, Bob! In about a decade I'll be coming after you!

Edit: the BoT is skinned now, and is awaiting reconstruction. After I get it reassembled, I'll add the spoilers (new feature, yay!) and get it re-covered. I'm going to steal the colors off a smooshed BoT I saw here the other day: trans red up front and trans yellow behind the spar. What brand of covering is it that has that almost antifreeze color of clear yellow? I REALLY want to use that stuff, and a red that's a bit orang-y. Maybe I'll use orange below and red above. That'll do.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well Doctor... We have a pulse!

After a full day of working on them I've gotten the stock Paragon and the GL ready to take to the air again. It is AMAZING that I didn't have a lot more damage to either of them after moving X-country with them in the back of the truck. Main repairs needed were a couple of patches in the coverings and tighten everything back up. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the spoiler lines on the Paragon and make them easier to set up at the field. That's not all that hard a fix to do so between that and having all the batteries charging over night I should be ready to get airborne again.

HOWEVER..... There's one little snag to this plan. Weather is calling for up to 6 inches of snow tonight. This means that the shop will be like a deep freeze till it melts off. Today it was only a regular freezer in there. 4 shirts, long johns under the pants kept me warm but the boots on the cold floor left my feet feeling like a couple of blocks of ice.

Once I get the Paragon and GL repairs finished I need to make a decision here on which one to repair next. It's either going to be the Riser 100 or the Windfree I did the wing mods on. Both have almost the exact same span @ 100" so it's a matter of RES or Flaperons. I've currently only got 3 receivers to work with as I haven't found the box with the servos and other receivers in it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:19 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
I vote for the Riser Jeff. Those things are just beautiful in the air.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:34 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
I'm a big Paragon fanboy myself. Got one of those too still in the box and on my long list of "hopefully get around to" kits.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
wait, it snows in AZ Jeff, see ya in the summer

Al

native Californian only seen snow at ground level 3 times in 62 years!!!
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm