Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
additional thoughtWell there seems to be a good deposit of it somewhere up the hill. I just have to find the source of it is all. There are small pieces scattered all over the place that seem to get larger the further up the hill you go. I took a little walk up one of the washes behind the house and found some chunks the size of a young child's head, but not the main outcropping of it. I also plan on going night rock hounding with the black-light for some florescent samples.

The geological makeup of this area is really wacky. You can see where sedimentary rock has been pushed up at an angle and there are cinder cones a few miles from the house. Some of the chunks of rock I"ve found look like strange cement with all kinds of different stones in it. Robi wants to go out meteor hunting of of these days which could prove interesting. Just had to go outside to see what the dogs were raising a ruckus about and couldn't help but look up at the night sky. It's nice to be able to actually see the Milky Way again thanks to the dark skies around here. I'm going to have to get me a telescope one of these days for sure.

EDIT: BTW Lil.... That "little" hill behind the house is only about 2000 feet higher than the house at the top. Bring your hiking boots, rope and oxygen tank!!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: extra thought...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:40 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,304 Posts
Scaf, I'd be there in a heartbeat, if I could.

Hey! Take some pictures! I wanna see these fabulous sparklies!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Yep Jeff, pictures.

Gotta tell this:

Sept 16th, 2004. Hurricane Ivan came ashore and blew my house apart. Lots of interesting stories there but this relates to what Jeff said. I returned to the warehouse where the little woman and I stashed the motorhome to ride out the storm. After surveying the damage toCasa De Seanpcola. Talk about feeling really, really down. About midnight. She went to sleep but I was, naturally restless trying to figure out what we were gonna do, how to get over this setback. I knew I was 80% covered but I also knew that my former life was over. No more "Salt Life", waterfront living, hanging with my beach buds, quick trips to the Flora-Bama bar, the The Reef, Parrot Heads. IOWs a definitive moment where I knew I was going to have to leave the lifestyle I knew behind and move forward. I've never felt so ................. deeply saddened in my life. I was going to leave the life I grew up with. I could foresee the insurance skyrocket, no way was I going to be able to live the life I have known since I was in diapers. I couldn't imagine living anywhere that I couldn't fire up the boat and be at the happening spots in 15 minutes without even needing a car. A 20 minute boat ride had me at LuLu's (Jimmy Buffet's sister's) beach bar where I could mingle and dance till dawn, then set the old compass at 90 and be back home safely. A true end of an era.

So, back to the warehouse stashed 15 miles inland out in the sticks. That structure literally saved our lives. Really. She crashed with emotion overload My feeble brain was running way over red line. I found a golf cart and drove way down a trail and stopped to think.

Now, we're talking about a 75 mile radius of absolute zero electrical power. No powerplants running, no street lights, no traffic, real 1880's living. I stopped down this trail, looked up at the sky and for the first time in my life I experienced absolute zero ambient light. To top that off you will never find cleaner air anywhere than a coastal area after 12 hours of 120+ winds.

I looked up and the sky was screaming with stars.

I knew right then where the next chapter of my life would be spent. We moved out to the sticks and life has been sweet ever since. If I was a rich man and could move at will I would head to Arizona, away from the crap of modern day life and be a PITA to Jeff.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:07 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,953 Posts
Hey Jeff

If you find some gold we can put it to good use plate'n my art work.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Sean... I don't think I could ever consider you as a PITA. You're too good a person for me to do that. Besides... We could have a blast showing all these power pilots around here the fine art of soaring without a motor and make us some converts away from the dark side.

Don... When and if I happen to find a big vein of gold I'll let ya know. Right now I'd be happy finding a couple of good placer deposits in the washes around here. At least that would show me that there is a vein somewhere in the area. After all... it had to get washed into the stream bed from someplace didn't it?

I really lucked out when I met Robi. A lady after my own heart. She is also into prospecting and even has her own gold pans! Now... I just need to get the GL ready to fly so I can start teaching her about the joys of soaring. I'm still sorting tools and materials out after the move so I can't really say when I'll be able to get some planes in the air again. I'll try to get some pictures over the next couple of days for posting. House, property, shop etc. Here is a teaser shot of the house I took after the last little bit of snow we got.....just remember it's a phone camera so it's not as good as I'd like it to be.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:24 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Awesome looking place Jeff! Wow, talk about looking a little chilly though...hopefully you've got a nice big fireplace in that house to keep the chill off? I guess that you don't have to worry too much about not having somewhere to fly eh? Lots of room, nice hill behind you for sloping if you choose, and not too many neighbor's houses to run into!

I can only imagine how beautiful the stars are at night - spectacular.

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:49 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,953 Posts
Hi Jeff

Does your new lady friend like to create stuff , maybe do some glider building too.

Build together and fly together, how cool is that.

Wow what a neat place looks like a cut in the hill top side too, like a LZ maybe get a bobcat and tune it right in and a little seed and you be styling!!

G Don
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Sean... I don't think I could ever consider you as a PITA. You're too good a person for me to do that. Besides... We could have a blast showing all these power pilots around here the fine art of soaring without a motor and make us some converts away from the dark side.

If that's snow in the photos of your place Jeff then you have NO IDEA what a PITA I can be. Talk about crying like a spanked 4 year old girl! Just put me in temps below 40 degrees F for more than three hours and watch the tears roll down my cheeks.

I do agree on some serious soaring though.

Talking about flying around power guys: Several years back I was flying a guy's Cub at work. Don't remember what brand it was but it was EP, foam and around 30" span or so. I ran the battery down to where the motor cut off and left only the RX working. Of course the power guys get all bent over the deadstick thing. I was kind of high and was just screwing around burning altitude before I got in the pattern when I hit a bump. Started working it and extended the flight by about 10 minutes. Wish I had taken pics of the dropped jaws. That damn Cub thermaled pretty well.

(nods to PJ3)
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:54 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
I love the 'propellor head' thinking! but it's too easy to pick on!- there are federal laws on pickin' on the handicapped!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
ROB: Yeah... There be some hills close by and in all directions. The problem is figuring out how to get up to the top of them. REALLY nice bowl on the other side of the highway that I'd love to be able to figure out a route to the top of. I'll do up a google earth shot with the hills marked so you all can see of which I speak. I just have to figure out how to keep Hoss from seeing it so he doesn't start crying. Oh... Yes there's a fireplace. Actually it's a nice big wood stove but it heat the place up to toasty warm in a matter of minutes.

DON: Yup Robi is very handy in a shop and likes to make things. Just have to get her up to speed on plane construction. I'll be giving her flight training on a Gentle Lady soon as possible. AS I'm still sorting and stowing tools and materials, plus having to make up a new building area it is going to be a while before that happens.

SEAN: What are you talking about dude? You are a Spanked 4 year old girl! This weather is only for a short period and is due to the elevation of this area. In the summer while it's 110 degrees in Tucson I'll be enjoying 90 degrees weather. And did I mention it's DRY? No more of that 90 degrees and 100% humidity!!! YEEEEEE HAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Ok... Here is the Google Earth view of the area with the most promising ridges marked out and labeled. Current weather here is about 38 degrees (not Sean Weather) and light snow coming down. Wind out of the N.W. @ 20 with gusts up to 30 or so. Makes me wish I had already found the route up to the top of the bowl.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
we have it easy! check out what's up in Connecticut! This is from one of my Beta buds!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:28 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Jeff that looks something like what you have been dreaming about for so long!! really happy for you mate and you know the house with it's big full verandah looks just like the classic timber Queenslander style of building so I would be quite at home their too, oh yes!

I actually have the money for a return flight to the US, so be afraid, very afraid, if that DS ridge turns out to be a gem, ha, ha, haa!!

Sean, I think we have found a base.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:06 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,953 Posts
Hi Jeff

When i joined the Silent Flyers in 1980', Blane Rawdon was teaching his lady to fly each sunday with one of his Mirage's

Kinda rare for a girl to do that stuff back then , more common now and pretty neat as we need to keep this glider deal going so more people can have the life long passion too!!

G Don
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Somebody mention a slope? I sure miss slope soaring. That was just effortless, not like searching and fighting at 10 feet for a bump you think you felt. Although, to quote Old Thorny, "I've learned more below fifty feet than I ever learned up high"..

Can I come out also? I'll bring my beer brewing kit and a big umbrella so we can drink and sit on top of the mountain all day with getting sunburned! Nothing beats a Gentle Lady making gracefull figure eights in front of a slope!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72