Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:11 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post

What's wrong with putting on an e-mails address
? I did on mine. it's all e-mail around here.
Plausible deniability. As I alluded to earlier, with my luck someday I'll lose signal and the glider will penetrate a Presidential No Fly zone somewhere or cause a multi-vehicle pileup on I-10. I need to throw the scent off my trail until I can make good my escape to Steve's place in Oz.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
I know it's not a glider but here is what I have been working on lately. I am learning a new skill....Fiberglassing
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Looking good, Robby!

Sean, point. Me, I like to get them back. Just aim your crashes better!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:12 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Better yet, I'll send you Jeff's. He'll be the hardest to track down.
Yeah.... I can see the FAA stopping by the ranch to investigate the crash of a model plane in Gainsville. I'll just tell them that that plane went AWOL a couple of weeks ago thanks to one of the Arizona boomers. Oh wait.... Isn't that LVsoarings story for his Paragons? Now if one of my Paragons made it to Gainsville I'd really be impressed since I usually have a half ton of ballast loaded up in it.

It's looking like I'll soon be back to building and repairing planes again. I'm still unpacking and sorting things out here but am planning on getting the E-Paragon up and flying first thing. I want something that I can launch and recover from here at the house so I can try to get Robis' boys interested in flying. I'm also thinking of doing a motor transplant on the Spectra to give it more power. I want to have a couple of planes I can fly from the house since there's 80 acres of rough land surrounding us. No way to put in a highstart unless I take a bulldozer to it.

After checking out the slopes around here I can see cutting a trail to get up to the top of a couple of them with the Quad. The best one though would have to be hiked into but would serve double duty as slope flying on one side and DSing on the other. ( I wonder how fast the Windfree would get to before it exploded from the stress of DSing.)
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:46 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I should scrawl my email address on the Ute; what to you get when you put a girl who has lived on a sand island for the best part of three years behind the wheel of a 4x2 ? bogged in sand!! RACQ membership is a very good thing, I wasna gonna burn out the clutch getting it out. We were visiting the re-use and recycle centre in Maryborough plus rubbernecking at all the flood damage around town when sunfrau decided to do a ueey on a dirt road that had been flooded, of course there were no hard shoulders and it is easy to do, her first time too, and last, she vows. Poor bugger hurt only her pride.

Bulldozer Jeff? I know of a guy down in Florida that could help, I'll send you his email!
Quad bike trail sounds like the good idea. Dunno about the windree but I ds'd an ezg once, it needed ballast and that made it's threshold for self-destruction a very fine edge, but it did it though. Rather see foam explode than lovely timber you constructed yourself.

Hey Robby nice work! Nothing like the smell of polyester resin to re-invoke a love of timber shavings!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:34 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
The glass work looks great Robby. Messing with composites is a ton of fun. For some reason though I don't like doing it on models.

Steve, that reminds me of all the times we pulled sunk cars belonging to tourist here when I was younger. We always had chains and straps in our trucks just for the occasion. For some reason people unfamiliar with the beaches seem to think our sand will support vehicles. In fact there are signs about every 300' along all of the beach roads that warn against it. We'd go cruising along, see a family stranded pull up, hook on and drag them back onto the pavement. Never asked for payment but most people would insist on giving us something for our efforts. Usually scored $40-50 a day on just a couple of pulls. Plenty of bucks for gas and beer. Even got better when it was a carload of college girls down here for Spring Break but those stories aren't suitable for young eyes such as Jeff's.

Yep, I'm your man when it comes to death and destruction to offending flora.

Or so I thought.

A couple of weeks back I mentioned that I was going to rip out all of the Azalea bushes around the front of my house. Not only did they cause my porch to deteriorate but they just sat there, never bloomed. I flooded them with fertilizer, Epsom Salts, just every secret ingredient advertized to turn your Azaleas into a veritable color explosion in your yard.

So a couple of Fridays ago I did the deed. Six tons of steel and diesel fumes came raining down on those bushes like a Navy SEAL Garden sniper team. I ripped them out by the roots, breaking off branches , mashing them under tracks, I mean no mercy was shown at all. I threw the herbaceous corpses onto my trailer and took them to work to add to the compost pile.

Boss saw them lying there in their death throes and asked what the deal was. I told him and he said "Why don't you plant them along the sides of the hangar?". I replied "You kiddin'? Those plants will never see a drop of Chlorophyll pumped through their evil veins again". He talked me into it.

I did. I just dug a quick ditch with the Mini-ex, slung the remains in and unceremoniously shoved dirt back over them. Didn't even water them. Figured I would let them die standing up and the boss wouldn't bug me anymore about it.

The following Monday I come to work and see a huge splash of hot pink all along the hangar walls.

They all bloomed like a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot.

Evil bastards are mocking me. I know they are. I can feel them watching me, waiting for late Spring so they can spread pollen and watch me die a slow agonizing death through asphyxiation.
Last edited by seanpcola; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Can't fool with Mother Nature !!
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Can't fool with Mother Nature !!
Nope, big Momma N has kicked my butt on a lot of occasions.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:38 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Sean, that's too funny!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Yep, I'm your man when it comes to death and destruction to offending flora.

Or so I thought.

Well you could have just waited until I visited and had me pee on them, put a final end to the crisis. We discussed this before..

Just make sure of your burial place mate, long into the future we hope it will be, that those plants and their offspring are nowhere around,.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:53 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Well you could have just waited until I visited and had me pee on them, put a final end to the crisis. We discussed this before..

Just make sure of your burial place mate, long into the future we hope it will be, that those plants and their offspring are nowhere around,.
Doesn't work either Steve. A buddy of mine was forced by his wife to plant two Cedar trees in their back yard close to the house. He argued that the eventual height and resulting root system would play havoc with the foundation of the house. This turned into one of those smouldering points of contention between the two of them.

So, to strike back he and his dog would head out every morning for their constitutional and go straight for the one closest to the house. It was job 1 to liberally dose that tree every morning , every evening when he arrived home from work and the last thing he did at night before retiring.

This battle started 5 summers ago. At this point the targeted tree is at least twice as large as the unattended one.

Yes GDon, Mother Nature is not to be trifled with, she is a cruel, vindictive master.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
yes, but he didn't have my pee, did he.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:15 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
yes, but he didn't have my pee, did he.
Probably the difference between Foster's and the watered down stuff we call beer.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:51 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
ah yes... Mother Nature can be a real biotch when she wants to be. Back in Georgia I was clearing out some offending weeds from the back yard and ended up having my first experience with the dreaded poison ivy. Having grown up on the west coast we didn't have the stuff so I didn't know what the heck it looked like. Poison oak and sumac sure but not ivy. Well it turns out that my immunity to poison oak didn't transfer to it's nasty east coast cousin. I ended up getting it in places that it had absolutely being do to transfer of the oils before it had started to itch.

Yet another reason I'm glad to be back out west!!! At least here I know which plants and animals are out to get me!!!

On another note... It turns out that this area also has lots of mineral deposits around it. I've been finding some neat crystal formations just sitting in the yard. Kind of makes me wonder what I'll find when I make it up to the top of that "little" hill behind us. I've been keeping my eyes open for minerals I recognize and there seems to be lots of Malachite, copper ore and turquoise besides the crystal formations. Now... If I could just find a really nice gold vein we'd be set...
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:10 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Scaf: :drool: I just GOTTA go visit and rock scrounge. I loves me some malachite.