Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:39 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
Some of the gals in the local h. s. rifle club (.22 cal.) were excellent shooters. The club even sent a team to Camp Perry.
I've found that newbie girl shooters are MUCH better shots than guys with the same amount of experience. My wife and daughters were scary good by the end of the first day out.

Several very experienced instructors have told me the same thing. We all came up with a theory: It's because when you start off a female student she listens, absorbs every detail and immediately jumps way up the skill curve.

All guys, on the other hand, think that since they're male they were genetically encoded to be warriors. Therefore, they don't listen to instructions and blast away.

Oh, and all of the war and cowboy movies we watch showed us everything we need to know too.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I've found that newbie girl shooters are MUCH better shots than guys with the same amount of experience. My wife and daughters were scary good by the end of the first day out.

Several very experienced instructors have told me the same thing. We all came up with a theory: It's because when you start off a female student she listens, absorbs every detail and immediately jumps way up the skill curve.

All guys, on the other hand, think that since they're male they were genetically encoded to be warriors. Therefore, they don't listen to instructions and blast away.

Oh, and all of the war and cowboy movies we watch showed us everything we need to know too.
You ate probably sooo right!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
You ate probably sooo right!
I'd bet on it!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
(+) BLAM!! (+) BLAM!! (+) BLAM!! .... What da SAY? (+) BLAM!! (+) BLAM!!
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:58 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I rest my case.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Sean, No real probs here but we did have the sea lapping over the Esplanade just below the house, we are maybe 4 metres above MSL. Not a lot of damage or flooding in this town but others in the region have real flood damage. Death toll is very low, no real flash flooding. Main highways to Brisbane still blocked so the shops are running out of food, and peoples stupid panic buying sprees, happens every time.. pretty hard to buy a loaf of bread, or milk! why can't they just have a few cartons of UHT milk in the cupboard for these events.

Oswald went all the way down the coast from FNQld and stayed inland most all the way, weird. It's stinking humid now in the aftermath. You know all to well how the weather is with these things.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Hey Don W! Glad to see you pop in. Figured you've been busy. The training sounds awesome. I slacked off last year on doing that (along with a lot of other stuff) but am scheduled to take an 8 hour Krav Maga course middle of next month.
Nice! you should get a lot of good info from the class and it's good physical exercise for all the right moves that you need to practice. I hear the DVDs are excellent too. I've got some one-on-one from a dear friend of 30 years. He's retired, 35 years Ft. Worth narcotics, he's very savvy to say the least.

He's teaching me moves, mental things and how to tailor your clothes for carry. Not about buying carry clothes, but instead, taking needle and thread and doing pocket mods to your favorites. It's to fit your pocket to your pocket holster and anchoring it for the fastest pull. There's a lot to learn and consider. Awareness, preemptive thinking and quick decision making can get you out of harms way much better than your carry...no doubt.

He told me a story about busting a paint huffer on a parking lot I thought was funny. The dude had blue paint all around his mouth, totally vagrant and higher than a kite. He hauled him in to write him up, no ID...nothing.

Question "What's your last name?" Answer "Williams". Question "What's your first name"? Answer "Sherwin (Troy looks over at him), yeah that's right, Sherwin Williams MF'er! Tossed him in the tank still wire-tied behind his back, Troy said, "someone will be right with you" .

Didn't mean to stray this far...sorry. Fixin to get back to my aeroplanes now and enjoy something beautiful again . 25 tubs of Christmas is back up in the attic and now I have my cave back.

Like Sootch says;

Be Strong
Be of Good Courage
God Bless America
Long Live the Republic
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:31 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
Krav Maga Sean? Jeez! Yer gonna be a lethal weapon soon!
Yer also gonna be REALLY tired after that.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:29 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Hossman and DW: The instructor that I signed up with explained to me that if you are tired after beating an idiot at his own game using KM then you ain't doin' it right. We shall see. I still have a little left in me. Even enough left for playtime. To coin a phrase:

"I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was".

Working on the car jack story. Shall post it tomorrow night. Thrills, spills, not for the faint of heart. But, it will make the ladies out there realize that there really is equality between the genders, actually it's more like one sided against those of us born male.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Nice! you should get a lot of good info from the class and it's good physical exercise for all the right moves that you need to practice. I hear the DVDs are excellent too. I've got some one-on-one from a dear friend of 30 years. He's retired, 35 years Ft. Worth narcotics, he's very savvy to say the least.

He's teaching me moves, mental things and how to tailor your clothes for carry. Not about buying carry clothes, but instead, taking needle and thread and doing pocket mods to your favorites. It's to fit your pocket to your pocket holster and anchoring it for the fastest pull. There's a lot to learn and consider. Awareness, preemptive thinking and quick decision making can get you out of harms way much better than your carry...no doubt.

He told me a story about busting a paint huffer on a parking lot I thought was funny. The dude had blue paint all around his mouth, totally vagrant and higher than a kite. He hauled him in to write him up, no ID...nothing.

Question "What's your last name?" Answer "Williams". Question "What's your first name"? Answer "Sherwin (Troy looks over at him), yeah that's right, Sherwin Williams MF'er! Tossed him in the tank still wire-tied behind his back, Troy said, "someone will be right with you" .

Didn't mean to stray this far...sorry. Fixin to get back to my aeroplanes now and enjoy something beautiful again . 25 tubs of Christmas is back up in the attic and now I have my cave back.

Like Sootch says;

Be Strong
Be of Good Courage
God Bless America
Long Live the Republic
Excellent and good points Don!

Folks, The Veoci-Schanuzer and I just went out for our last constitutional of the evening. It's windy as snot and temps dropping like the Dow Jones Average. Down here on the Golden Gulf Coast that is NOT GOOD! When the Jack Hammer is more interested in going back inside than policing the perimeter you know it's time to batten down the hatches. Tomorrow might be rough. You're off tomorrow IIRC Hoss. Call me when you can. Going to bed right now.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
LOVE this weather! NOT!!!! Took the comforter off the bed and turned the heat over to A/C cause it was hot. Woke up at 3am freezing. Been up ever since and the wind is just a-blowing out there. Been watching the news and think I may be in love with Devon Walsh. She's a cutey!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Yo Steve, the damage at "Enzo's" (?) clearly shows the power of water on man-made structures. At least it's only the walkway! Looks like the area faired not too badly though, all things considered. Was your place okay?
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Tornado watches and warnings popping off every few minutes here. No sightings close by but an hour ago a local business had two Oak trees drop on a service trailer.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
We all hope you will dodge the bullit and it will pass you by!!

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:26 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Yikes Sean, take cover man! I don't know...you can have hurricanes, I'll stick with (very infrequent!) earthquakes (of the smallish) size thank you!!

I had the good fortune, if you can call it that, to have sailed through the dead center of one many years ago. There's nothing like that experience to: A. scare the carp out of you, and B. let you know how powerful Ma nature can be, and C. How small a 42 foot sailboat can seem

Batten down the hatches Sean!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh