Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:49 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
seemed to work supremo yesterday and is oh so much better than stuffing around with pins you can loose in the weeds.
Now your talkin Steve, this will be much easier for you. I'm the sort that turns my electronics off after landing to go retrieve the Hi-Start. This will make it much simpler. I'm almost thinking of putting my switch through the fuse side. I know it creates a little drag and is a little dangerous but very convenient. On second thought, with the O3, I should be in the air more than on the ground .

Gerald, we are all with you on your maiden. I'm sure it will go fine for you. Dying to hear about your hand toss and the trim required, or better yet, the lack of trim .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Feb 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Switches. Well Don, i got rid of mine and saved like 11g of weight to compensate for the repairs! now I simply use a JR type lead connector, it'll need replacing ocassionally to be safe. In the olden days thats how everyone set their switch- on the outside, and you can always recess the switch into the fuse and cut down the toggly bit to make it more airflow friendly.

Gerald, yes its hard to let go of many months work and creation and trust it to weather and fate, but you ain't new to this game so you know as well as anyone else there is no getting rid of the butterfly's . I think in part that's the thrill we all do it for, the chance that it will work out well and give us a high for days and days to come.
I can't speak for other Oly's, but if she glides nicely from the hand and the CG and hook are at plan or a little forward, then it is going to rise like an angel released, all else being fair and equal. Anyways we are all excited to hear how it goes.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Well Steve, a good ole Texas ass whoopin can take any forms: A good fist fight, an all night drinking bout and well, I used to date this very tall blonde from Texas that could...........uh, well, I got my ass whooped anyway.

Please tell us more, details, details!!!!!

ooops, better not, someone here is about to come in and look over my shoulder..
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:59 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Please tell us more, details, details!!!!!

ooops, better not, someone here is about to come in and look over my shoulder..

CHICKEN!!!!!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts

Oh the shame, the shame....
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
One big-@ss WANG!

How 'bout that!! Finally finished the "John Deere" Oly. I had to add a bit of weight to the starboard (right side for you lubbers) wing tip, and 6 1/4 oz to the nose to get it all balanced out. As to the AUW I am sure it is a bit beyond Ray's target of 59 ounces. However, with the size of that wing I am not worried in the least bit. Control throws wound up bang on where I estimated since I built my own control horns and designed the flying elevator.
I reduced the flap throw to 75 degrees to start with and I will adjust the JR9303 program as needed. All of this hinges on the hand toss as you well know. With the good fit at the wing/fuse joint I used some modified cup holder hooks and a small hefty spring to keep the wings sucked up.
It has been a long haul fellers, but the result is worth it.
The attached pic does not do the bird justice, but others will follow.

Onward, and upward,
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Feb 20, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,905 Posts
Gerald,

That is absolutely gorrgeous. I love the trans. green andyellow fuse.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
That looks great Gerald! I just might have to build me one of those some day soon. You've GOT to get some pics of the maiden flight!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Wow! If that Oly fly's as good as it looks it will, Gerald you should have a smile that stretches from one end of Texas to the other. I think you are the first person to incorporate a full pivoting horizontal stab on the thread, I'd love to hear how it performs. It looks so BIG set against that fence.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
LOl I just noticed something in that picture. Gerald... you trying to teach the dog to mow the lawn so you can get more flying time in? I LIKE that idea!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 03:14 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,019 Posts
Greenie

Gerald, That's is one good lookin flying lady... kewl!!! to say the least, most excellent.... Now you need to box it up and ship it to me and I'll give it a very good home good job!!!!

Wylie E. Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:07 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,548 Posts
Gerald,

Congratulations, she will look beautiful high in the sky.

Hope you have a good arm for that hand toss.... bad things can happen at low altitudes.

Ray
Sky Bench
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:29 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Ray
Have a buddy that will do the tossing. He has one hell of an arm for it.

Thanks all for the comments. Very proud of the finished product.

Scaflock
Yes! I get a pretty good fee for training Labrador retrievers to do that!

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:44 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Gerald, just now saw the pic of your new addition...Wow! She's so beautiful, I'm very proud for you. I know you can't hardly wait to see her float gently down the field on that first toss. Yes indeed, them big @ss wangs really make a statement. I think your visibility is going to be super with the trans green. Tell your toss buddy to run at a good clip and get those dynamics going then toss gently into the wind. I can see it in my mind, a hundred yard float from a 7' height .

Soar on dude!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
100 yards! - and the rest. The other day on a chuck test my O3 must have sailed around 150 yards from a medium hard stand still throw into a light 2-3 knot breeze, without flap influence. No-one is gonna run while launching my O3- the buggers might stumble or trip!!
Whenever doing this sort of thing, or indeed whenever my Oly gets below ten meters off the ground i flick the Tx switch that couples the flaps to the rudder as flaperons for the extra control, I only need a max 1cm throw up or down to transform its handling close to the ground. Like anything over 3 meters this is one bird you don't want to turn with the wind on a hand toss.