View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:20 AM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Hey Steve, long time no see/hear. how are things atm? I havent flown in 2 years, but am hoping to get back in this year. Let me know if you want alift to any comps around the place this year too....if I manage to get some gear together again in time that is.
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Hi Dale, great to hear from you. Yeah settling down again, the trip around Aus went really well got back late Dec 2011but then rode up to Katherine for work May 2012 and got back here late Nov last year.

Still trying to find full time work and doing odd jobs, even RC fitouts for LHS. Doing slope mostly as the slope is right by home. But yes I would love to met up for a fly and get to some comps this year, still keen as for that. By the sounds of it like you I am re-kitting a bit since getting back, waiting for the right deals to come along, no hurry. You still have the Europhia?

Can we still fly up at Goodwood? Love it up there. Will have a vehicle soon so that will make life easier.

Cheers mate.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:52 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,300 Posts
I found a pilot for my BoT.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=43871853327
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
I'm Kinda partial to my Wario myself!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:50 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Got my "wood" on today.... Trusses are set in the solarium we're building in Siberia ( well it feels like it) We've got a roof over our heads and can now turn up the heat....Yea! And you thought sanding a sailplane nose block takes time? Hope all my friends in the woodie thread are doing well, stay warm
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 15, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
And it's not even windy yet!? That's a very kool structure! Proud of ya pal!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:35 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
So, Ihav, you must drive a Ram, where they take the logs to the cabin Nice job!

although the scaffolding might be a little less than OSHA codes where I work!

al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:37 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Woodie Dude! Captain C is right! That looks very cool. Lotta work in that. I like it! I'd love to build a structure like that some day. I have this house I've been building in my head for years and that type of construction is right in line with it.

I do NOT envy you living in that kind of weather but maybe I'm missing something. Flip side would be some decent weather during the rest of the year. I'm running the AC tonight again to dry the house out. Everything is soaking wet down here. Humidity through the roof and lows in the 70's. I'd really like some crisp weather. Really. Maybe not MN cold but something to give a break to heat. As I get older this warm/hot stuff is really wearing on the bod. I'm a warm weather guy but a little cooler temp recharges the batteries and mine are running low. I really feel like a few days in the 30's wouldn't make me feel so old and beat up.

Wood projects: I ripped my front porch apart this weekend and built new columns from scratch. Looks great and changing from Colonial to Modern/Minimalist style is refreshing. I couldn't figure out what bugged me so much about the outside of my house but when I got the porch rebuild done it dawned on me. I can't stand the fake Tara/Gone With The Wind look. Now my house is starting to look more up to date. I originally figured on $2K to rebuild the porch and get the landscaping out front done. So far I'm $175 and it looks better than I ever imagined. Next step is to complete the mass murder of all the offending Azaleas, Crepe Myrtle and Boxwoods around the front. Going back in with Tropicals and Succulents. I'm having fun. Destruction is good for the soul.

Cool thing is that now that I like my front porch I'm spending more time out there. While I was working on it Saturday the neighbor across the street came over and invited me to his bonfire party. Wife worked till 1:00 AM that night so I strolled on over. I loves my neighborhood.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Thanks you guy's! Great to see a load of raw logs hand peeled and milled to form a structure. Al, too funny, if you look back at the post w/ the deer outside my kitchen, you'll see my..... Dodge Ram diesel parked in the drive (red). LOL

Sean, I know what you mean about the demo thing... love to swing a sledge or better yet, get behind the controls of a large EXCAVATOR and really tear some up! Love to landscape as well, very rewarding especially if it's your own space your re-doing. The air conditioner doesn't register with my brain though??

* OSHA? what's that? LOL, that prolly has something to do with why I fell off a plywood sheet that was posing as a man-cage on the Gradall (lift) , back in Nov. I was installing some windows at a job and stepped to far over on the plywood, Showed the boy's my double back flip w/ half twist! Didn't "stick" the landing but I did blow up my knee. Got to spend the next month and a half on crutches
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Woody, Mention of an excavator and you now have my juices flowing. I'll post a photo tomorrow of my lineup of manly destructive devices. You wanna move earth or destroy something? I am your man!

AC: I understand that it's foreign to you and it ain't something to brag about when you get the power bill. My problem is that when I go beddy-bye I want my room temp in the 50's or lower. The best night's sleep I've ever had in my life was at my Grandma's in the Tennessee Mountains (Smokie's) when it was in the single digits and no heat in the house. The wife can't handle my preferences. When I lay down to sleep I like my room meat locker cold even in the summer. So, my heating system wouldn't even warm a room where you live and I warm 2700 square feet but dude, I can preserve beef in my house in the summer.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
when I go beddy-bye I want my room temp in the 50's or lower. The best night's sleep I've ever had in my life was at my Grandma's in the Tennessee Mountains (Smokie's) when it was in the single digits and no heat in the house. When I lay down to sleep I like my room meat locker cold even in the summer.
Come to Montana Sean,open a window & you'll sleep like a baby! Or maybe a grizzly bear??

Looking forward to the line-up of Destrucive man toys... I think we'd be good neighbors? Shootin, constuction & equipment runnin... bon fires?? UH huh...
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:10 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
IHAVA - wow, nice looking craftsmanship there with the "real" wood structure! You've got some real skills there!! I've always wanted to have a house that had exposed logs like that, especially where all of the fasteners are hidden. Sweet!

As for your drive to work, wow, that looks cold! I know, it's all what one is used to, but I have to tell you that looks brutal. Having grown up in Canada I know what that feels like, and if I get my way I'll hopefully not have to live in it again. Having said that though, I'm envisioning a nice big fire roaring under that killer roof structure in your shot - warming the house nicely while it's snowing outside.... that wouldn't be too bad! Now, to not have to go out in the cold... Yep, mid 20's is about the bottom range of my temperature limit!

Sean, your porch sounds like it's turned out nicely! Are there any pics that you'd like to share? Love to see them. Also, I was cracking up reading your comments on the plants that you aren't too fond of. Nothing like real power tools for extracting them!

Lastly, IHAVA, I gave the fastening sheeting with heat technique a try on the outer panels of the OLY II a try and it worked great! Wow, love learning new things. Now for the larger inner panels...

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Come to Montana Sean,open a window & you'll sleep like a baby! Or maybe a grizzly bear??

Looking forward to the line-up of Destrucive man toys... I think we'd be good neighbors? Shootin, constuction & equipment runnin... bon fires?? UH huh...
Hey Woody,

Yep, I think we'd have a lot of fun............or end up as cell mates. The only thing that keeps me and Hoss out of trouble is the 70 mile drive between houses.

In fact, I may drive over to his place on Saturday. I'm sure he's ready for some DLG, Football or break dancing. He needs to work those pain meds out of his system. I wasn't too concerned when he mentioned his hallucinations about him and Hemingway mountain climbing but I'll admit I got a tad concerned at the Rhinoceros and the tactical flashlight.

Rob, probably going to be a few days till I can get photos up. I got a nasty-gram from my ISP saying my main PC has a virus and is throwing out spam. They threatened to shut down my connection if I don't get it cleaned up so right now I'm down to my NOOK and my backup steam/pedal powered computer and it takes all day to upload a photo on it.

I'll take a few of the bush mangling.........er transplanting. I didn't take any before photos of the porch. The wife always gets mad about that, she thinks I should document all this stuff but I explained to her I don't want evidence in case the county inspector shows up.......or something like that.

She got a little concerned when I proclaimed the death penalty on the Azaleas, then went further by including a few Crepe Myrtles, Boxwoods and the already dying Pear tree. I simply explained it to her as "clearing fields of fire" for the coming zombie apocalypse. I explain stuff that way to her. It makes her walk away stunned rather than demand further clarification.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
^Just to busy laughing to type anything else...
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:09 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,947 Posts
Hey Sean

Will trade you for some of your warm weather for the last two nites of 26, my brick house is like an icebox as we are not used to this stuff out here in sunny so-cal ha ha.

Frozen G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don