Birth of a Tornado

http://www.snotr.com/video/8956/Frig...h_of_a_tornado
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:58 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I worked for the FBO from November '98 to June '07, except for about six months after Hurricane Katrina when I took a job with an FBO in Groton-New London, CT (couldn't stand the cold anymore and came back to the coast).
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Rob

You missed all the fun of the Northridge jiggler living over in Glendale, here in Granada Hills 2 miles from the center she was quite a E ticket ride.

Been through 4 of them from now on someone else can have all the fun, at 4 in the morning it sure does scare the hell out of ya when your bed is going up & down about 2 feet.

G Don
Hi Don,

I'm sure you did get the e-ticket ride living that much closer to the epicenter! Where I lived in Glendale was at the bottom of what was originally called "Dead Horse Valley" - read sedimentary soils which "jiggle" nicely during an earthquake - I think the term is liquefaction I'm pretty sure that we didn't get the movement that you probably did, but every chimney in our neighborhood that faced north/south along it's primary axis was fine, those facing east/ west came down. My house had a steeply pitched roof over the living room area where the fireplace is, and as such I had the chimney braced from the top of it to the rafters in the attic with metal straps that were 3/8 x 4". At the eave, the chimney ended up sitting at almost a 45 degree angle to the lower part of the chimney that was still attached to the house. One side of the strapping buckled, the other ripped right out of the roof. Nice to have about 12 feet of chimney just "resting" on top of the lower section during aftershocks!

Not that bad really, my neighbors house across the street, which is approximately a 3,000 square foot two story, shifted 16" off of it's foundation! it was cool to watch the contractors eventually "push" it back onto the foundation. They stuffed huge airbags under it, inflated them and lifted the entire house, then nudged it back to where it belonged. Of course, after they got it where it needed to be they bolted it to the foundation, which if it had been in the first place may have prevented the slide.

Did you suffer any damage Don? Hopefully not!

At the time, my daughter was about a year old. The day after the earthquake I realized that my shoulders had pretty severe bruises on them and couldn't figure out what caused them. Then I realized they were from the walls of the hall hitting them as I ran straight down the long hallway to her room to get her. I was mostly running straight ahead, the house was moving so much left/right that I must have basically "bounced" off the walls on the way to get her. Whoa.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Hi Don,

I'm sure you did get the e-ticket ride living that much closer to the epicenter! Where I lived in Glendale was at the bottom of what was originally called "Dead Horse Valley" - read sedimentary soils which "jiggle" nicely during an earthquake - I think the term is liquefaction I'm pretty sure that we didn't get the movement that you probably did, but every chimney in our neighborhood that faced north/south along it's primary axis was fine, those facing east/ west came down. My house had a steeply pitched roof over the living room area where the fireplace is, and as such I had the chimney braced from the top of it to the rafters in the attic with metal straps that were 3/8 x 4". At the eave, the chimney ended up sitting at almost a 45 degree angle to the lower part of the chimney that was still attached to the house. One side of the strapping buckled, the other ripped right out of the roof. Nice to have about 12 feet of chimney just "resting" on top of the lower section during aftershocks!

Not that bad really, my neighbors house across the street, which is approximately a 3,000 square foot two story, shifted 16" off of it's foundation! it was cool to watch the contractors eventually "push" it back onto the foundation. They stuffed huge airbags under it, inflated them and lifted the entire house, then nudged it back to where it belonged. Of course, after they got it where it needed to be they bolted it to the foundation, which if it had been in the first place may have prevented the slide.

Did you suffer any damage Don? Hopefully not!

At the time, my daughter was about a year old. The day after the earthquake I realized that my shoulders had pretty severe bruises on them and couldn't figure out what caused them. Then I realized they were from the walls of the hall hitting them as I ran straight down the long hallway to her room to get her. I was mostly running straight ahead, the house was moving so much left/right that I must have basically "bounced" off the walls on the way to get her. Whoa.

I remember this one, extremely high intensity earthquake I rode through one time. The roof came off, walls were shaking, stuff flying off of the shelves and .............................................

Wait a minute, never mind, that was one night when my ex-wife went on one of her legendary tears.

seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,298 Posts
The Northridge quake was so strong, we really felt it here in the Bay Area. I can't remember which was which, but one I felt while I was standing at work, looong, slow, wide arcs back and forth, and the other I was on the couch when I felt a jiggle. I had just enough time to look up at Mom and say "This shaking, it's not a cat scratching...." When the real rumbler came in. One of those was Northridge, and the other was some other shaker a couple years before or after.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
I work with a bunch of guys from Moss Point, but I don't think a one of them are pilots!
Merry Christmas to all!
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,944 Posts
Hi Rob

I used to have 4 orange trees in my back yard and in 78' i built a 24' by 30' shop 16' from my house with a patio off the house.

In 93' the crime was getting bad and never lliked working late and then going into the house, even with 5' brick walls a bad guy could get me.

So me and my buddy walled in the area between the buildings, and i was always concerned about it coming apart in a big quake well it barley put a crack in the paint in the corners.

But it did move everything else like my 2500 lb mill it moved a foot and almost tipped over my 6' lathe.

They say that the ground went up & down 28" and i believe it as everything in the shop was on the floor, i have a flat file for my blueprints and all the drawers & prints were every where.

From now on someone else can have the fun of these things.

On my new patio off the shop i have small 6" clay pots for flowers and they sat right on the 2 by 6 board and never fell off, it was a crazy deal what got hurt and what did not!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
To all the fine folks here on the Woody, the very best Christams to you and yours.

DW
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
Merry Christmas Gang! and all a safe night! (we survived the world end!)
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...tmas%20special
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Darth Carbon Lust
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,114 Posts
Merry Christmas (Mele Kalikimaka) to all the wood shapers.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
So this is Christmas
And what have you done?
Another year over
A new one just begun

So this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
the near and the dear ones
The old and the young

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Merry Christmas My Friends...Fly every chance you get...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Heheheheh, it's over! Every part of my body feels like it's been beaten with a baseball bat, I'm too tired to see straight, and I think I have a permanent headache and heartburn, but Christmas at FedEx is over! This was my 25th Christmas at what was supposed to be a part-time job while I was in college.... Just so I could make some cash for liquor and gas money. I only drink around Christmas now and I don't drive anywhere unless I'm in the delivery truck. Heheheheheh, it's OVER! take that Jolly Fat Man! I beat you again! I lived through it again! You tried to kill me again but you failed and even the Mayans couldn't help you! HahahahahHaah
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,944 Posts
Merry Christmas to all the troops here on Steves neat Woody thread, and a Happy New Year too !!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don