to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I got voted to play Santa at our company Christmas party this year. Here's a shot (not a good one, can't see my face) and the ladies I picked to be my little helpers this year.
- Nice daughters you have Sean!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Sitting here in the shop, making eneloop battery packs, testing radio gear, seeing if old gliders will come back to life, and wondering what the heck I was thinking three years ago when I was programming the radios for them. All coming back slowly, I forgot a lot.

Cheers GDon, I wish same to you and yours and everyone who visits rcg and keeps this highly unlikely thread going, we are just all a bit older and uglier each year, so thank goodness we also have Katie with us to balance things out!

cheers!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
- Nice daughters you have Sean!
Speaking of daughters, here's a photo I finally found last night of my oldest riding in Liberty Belle (B-17) with a co-worker. This photo was taken about a month before the MB crashed and burned. My babygirl is the one on the right.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:29 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
BoT Repair

I finally had some time to inspect the wings on the BoT that failed to launch this past summer. To refresh your memory it was a "new to me" plane and I was maidening it at our June soaring event. I had done all the trim hand throws and had it going a good 100 yards, straight and level from a hand throw. Hooked it up to the hi-start and it hit the ground before the rubber even relaxed. Nothing like the sight of a plane being dragged to its death. Lucky for me I was not doing a full pull launch so the drag was short. The wing bolts sheared off and the wing released from the fuse as soon as it hit the ground.

Well the damage was much much less than I had initially expected it to be. The fuse took a big hit and was broken at the fin and forward of the wing saddle. I had that fixed earlier this fall. I decided to strip the wings to get a really good look at them and boy am I glad I did. Overall they are in very good shape but there are some things I would have missed if I had not removed the covering. The biggest damage was the wing sheeting debonding from the spar. I probably would have overlooked this with the covering on as the covering was holding the sheeting in place right up until I removed it. On one wing the inner panel sheeting let loose on both the upper and lower and part of the outter as well. I have a hole to patch, some sheer webbing to fix and a couple of cap strips to replace but other than that the wing looks good. I should easily have it flight worthy yet this winter.

Now I need to start thinking about a good covering color scheme for it. I might try to paint the fuselage white and as of now I am thinking something retro. Something fitting the era in which it was born. I think I need to start looking at some pictures.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
I had a two meter BoT once and went retro with the scheme. It was overall a cream colored Oracover. I can't remember the wings, but I put a Cub like stripe down each side in a sparkly emerald green, with a sort of slanted "L" shape (that looked somewhat like a bird in flight) the same color on the vertical fin. It had blue Oracover for a canopy with frames of the same cream color. Very retro and almost Reiher like in it's looks.
I could hand launch that thing like you wouldn't believe! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:48 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
I know the names of those helpers of Santa- they're Oly and Sven!
We had a 'Sore sock' meeting tonight, same ocifers as last year, and almost too many events in planning- aero Tow, slopin' in South Dakota- lots of- plus thermal- and then 23 "lightning Bugs" are in process for kits.
Wayne- that is scary! where's the glue lines? quite a disguise- the crash that is- now that the wife is the 'criminal'- we're awaiting the snail mail mode of report copies, and she can explain to leasing agency- more torments later gang!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Yeah, I really like the retro look on woodies. I built a GL once and copied the one on the box. Looked really neat.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Hey All, I'll be in and out of here over the holidays but wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Be safe, have fun, and fly something!
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
We had a 'Sore sock' meeting tonight, same ocifers as last year, and almost too many events in planning- aero Tow, slopin' in South Dakota- lots of- plus thermal- and then 23 "lightning Bugs" are in process for kits.
Wayne- that is scary! where's the glue lines? quite a disguise- the crash that is- now that the wife is the 'criminal'- we're awaiting the snail mail mode of report copies, and she can explain to leasing agency- more torments later gang!
Hi Johnny, Yep that was my thought exactly. Where was the glue line. Whenever I have repaired broken planes before the glue always holds the joint in some areas and the wood fails in others. Not the case here, the sheeting looks good as new, almost like it was never glued in the first place. Whatever glue the original builder used on the wings, it failed 100% and the surrounding wood remained intact.

I am going to go over the wings more closely and see if there are other areas where the glue has failed. There is nothing like having a plane that is held together by the covering.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
Maybe that's why It made such a horrendous cracking sound. I did not see it go in but I herd it all the way across the field.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Wayne,

Is the glue failing or is it missing?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:16 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Wife's doc's are doing up a letter to help the move, and:
And we have the recording here: still remember the day! Doc's flight of the C glimmers a hope of trying again- poly mode of course!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Dec 22, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: deleted url failure
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Missing a few Ws there, Cap'n.

I really DON'T want to be up this morning. Really don't. Mother Nature, I guess, does. The thin transmits rain noise easily, and I was woken up when it started momsooning outside. It sounded and looked like a waterfall was dumping overhead. I blinked, and thought the flash was just that flashy blinky thing my eyes do sometimes, but immediately after the flash I heard: "boooOOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooommmmm!" That's actually pretty uncommon here, sadly. I only see a couple dozen bolts each year. That was a biggie. Poor dog was upset. At first she barked, then she hid.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:48 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
Katie, I am with ya girl, first day of vacation, 6am, huge KABOOOOM, WTH, coffee made, and on here I would say we are wasting daylight, but the sun's not up yet And the rain is coming down sideways Well at least I can vent here! LoL

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm