Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Yeah, I replaced the rear locator tube with brass as per suggestion.

As far as holding the wings on I only use tape. I've had those little eyelets pull loose before. Even had a large one pull out of the rib of a 1/2.5 scale LS4 and the wing walked off. Results were not even worth trying to photograph.

What I do is put a strip of good quality clear tape on the root and the fuse location, something that is pretty much permanent. Then use 3M electrical tape to secure the joint. When you break the model back down at the end of the flying day just pull off the electrical stuff and the clear stays, no harm to the paint or covering material. Cool thing is that 3M makes the E tape in a ton of colors, they even have a magenta pink/purple that matches my Avas.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:20 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,571 Posts
two reasons for taping wings:

the wing can pull away just enough to break the servo connector blocks from failure of a wing hold system.

eliminates drag created be a gap between wing root and fuse.
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:46 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Magnet Question

Hi everyone, today we managed to find some strong little canopy hatch magnets when a magnoman sacrificed himself for the cause.

I have a question though. Has anyone had or ever noticed any electromagnetic field effect on their Rx or radio gear? I only ask because I have them within 1.5" from the Rx and that's well within their field of influence after testing and certain components like crystals and components contain ferrous metals. Can't remember ever hearing about it since the 70's but you never know.

EDIT; I did some further RCG researching and no-one has yet reported any magnetic effects, so i guess thats that. Still, it might be possible if a number of unfortunate factors line up.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Feb 18, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
736 Posts
Magnet Answer

While these magnets are quite strong, their field tapers off sharply with distance. You should experience no problems.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:49 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
I have a question though. Has anyone had or ever noticed any electromagnetic field effect on their Rx or radio gear?
Steve, I'm glad you posed the question, I was wondering the same. Poor little Magnoman, he looks so defenseless . You and Magnoman remind me of Mr. Bill and Mr. Hands from Saturday Night Live hear in the states. OhoooooNooooooo, not that Mr. Hands, Ohooooooooo .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Feb 18, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Steve, I'm glad you posed the question, I was wondering the same. Poor little Magnoman, he looks so defenseless .

I actually decided against magnetic hatch retention for just that reason!

I wasn't sure if anything could happen, but I didn't want to find out when at speck height and going downwind...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:37 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I hear ya Froggy. When you get your baby all dressed up, you damn sure don't want her playin in the mud...
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
....Or in trees.....
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
http://www.mrbill.com/
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:47 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
...Or with angry birds of prey...
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Yep... Still... sick puppies... all...

Ooooooohhhh Nnnoooooooo! Sluggo!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:03 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
I've used magnets for years, never a problem. May be something to what Steve says though, the right set of circumstances and....bang.

RE: Sick puppies:

For sure Jack, and we take a great deal of pride in it!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:08 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Guys,

On the woodie building issue, I really really really should be done with the Oly by end of the coming weekend. Got a few more to build in the lineup but then (dramatic pause) I have a NEW project I am dying to do. Probably be honestly 2010 before I can start but I received my absolutely gorgeous set of hand drawn plans for the ASK-13 from Jim (Vintagesailplaner) yesterday in the mail. Slightly smaller scale than my 1/3 version but this will be all built up instead of FG fuse and foam sheeted wings. This is one of my top 3 favorite vintage sailplane planforms and I am really itching to do it.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
LOl Sean... I'll most likely have an ASK-13 built and in the air a loooong time before you even start it!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Guys,

On the woodie building issue, I really really really should be done with the Oly by end of the coming weekend. Got a few more to build in the lineup but then (dramatic pause) I have a NEW project I am dying to do. Probably be honestly 2010 before I can start but I received my absolutely gorgeous set of hand drawn plans for the ASK-13 from Jim (Vintagesailplaner) yesterday in the mail. Slightly smaller scale than my 1/3 version but this will be all built up instead of FG fuse and foam sheeted wings. This is one of my top 3 favorite vintage sailplane planforms and I am really itching to do it.
Since he likes to collect, perhaps you could convince your boss to pick up a full scale version for you to scratch the itch with!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56